I'm thinking this over...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think someone would give me $7000 for my JBA 4" lift kit, if I included my 2003 KJ limited attached to it?

The only draw back is that it is a repaired salvage vehicle. We bought it tat way in 2005 with 21,000 miles, it now has 107,000 & there has never been an issue with it.

I'm just thinking of simplifying, & getting an SFA for under $5000... so I'm thinking 1996 XJ.

Any opinions? (besides keep the KJ, I already know that option:))

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have to find a buyer that wnats your KJ as is and is willing to buy at that price,nowdays it would be very hard to do but not impossible.Just for luaghs I went to a dealership about a year ago and asked what was the trade in value of my KJ--a whole $3500 and they said that was being kind since the salesman liked my KJ.Basically the more modes done to it the less value it has,add a $2000 lift and your value goes down about $4000.Being salvaged makes it all the worse from the long term effects that will pop up.

Oh and a '99 XJ is the best year of the XJ,if your getting a '96 make sure it is a later model '96 so you start with the bigger front u-joints.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I prefer the '96s boxy shape in & out... always have. I figured I'd either have to return the KJ to stock suspension, & sell the lift separately, or sell to a private party who's interested.

The salvage thing is a PITA, but we were able to buy it for $10K when it booked at $19K. It all comes around eventually, I guess.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I did remove the lift, I'd also take the skid plates & shaved front axels, & sell those separately too.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is a 6 year old,modified,and salvaged vehicle,I highly doubt you'll get better then $5000 at best for it,even if you return it to stock,KBB value for your KJ is only $4295 for private party sale at "fair" condition but they do not rate values for "poor" condition which your KJ fall's into with a salvage title.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're selling a 6 year old reliable vehicle for peanuts to buy a 13 year old unreliable vehicle. Doesn't it makes more sense to keep the kj and use it as a daily driver. Then save up and buy a cheap xj that you can mod?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
KJPilot..............seems like you have a minor dilemma with the salvaged title and all. You originally got the thing for half the value due to the salvage title, and now you are at the other end of the deal and will take the hit, but you did save a bunch of $$$ on the go in. And you knew this would happen at the other end of the deal. But in the meantime you drove it, had fun with it etc. It still cost you half as much as it was worth, right. Remember, if it didn't have a salvaged title, and you would have paid twice as much for it, you would be losing twice as much due to depreciation anyway as with all vehicles. Sorry if I am starting to get into doubletalk, but you catch my drift.

So what if you return the KJ to stock and sell the lift, skids, tires (they won't fit once the lift is off anyway), etc, etc and take that money and buy a XJ. Then you will have little or no expenditure and have both the KJ and XJ......?? I'm sure you could sell that stuff real easy on here and on LOST.

For what it's worth, I agree that all XJ's are boxy and also the 99 is the best year. A 99 is 10 model years old now so you are not looking at a major expenditure as far as vehicles go. XJ's are nice and if you look around, you might come up with a cream puff.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk about your views but all the xj's are boxy. They didnt change for over 15 years. :)

They did change quite a bit in 1997. The exterior is slightly more rounded & the interior dash & center piece is almost like a Pontiac, it's so curvey!

Here's some photos, 1996 on top, 1997 on bottom:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave,

Those are all thought's in my head. I posted this question here to see what the KJ enthusiasts thought about the worth of my KJ as is. If I couldn't get you guys to think that it would go for $5000 to $7000, then no one would!

I'd like to avoid the work of removing the lift, but seeing as how it is only a year old, & if I only got $3500 for the whole package, I'd be kind of stupid to do this at all! The lift + the axles + all the worn parts I found & replaced while installing it cost $4,000. Then the skid plates unfortunately don't even have a scratch. I've not had time to even wheel this whole package!sad2.gif

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If youve not had time to wheel this one then what makes you want an xj? What are the added benefits of the xj of the kj besides a SFA?

Have you ever driven an XJ? Its not near as nice as the kj.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes! I've driven XJs lots & I prefer them greatly. When we got the KJ it was as a company car for my wife, and part of that requirement was it had to be a 2002 model year or newer, or else it would have been an XJ.

I've wheeled the KJ before, just not since I got the lift & plates. Most of this year has been spent out of town for airline training, then learning how to live life as an airline pilot.:D

Unfortunately, there aren't many places to wheel around here, so I have to drive quite a ways to do so. I usually go to the Black Hills in South Dakota.

Last edited:

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're better off keeping it or take a hit which isn't worth it. I always like those Cherokee's but couple of my friends had them and they were trash. I always had better luck with my rovers, which isn't saying much, even I admit.

mikes07kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I must be blind cause all the XJ's look the same to me, at least on the outside. Have any of you heard others say the only diff bewteen the KJ and the KK is the front end? :eek: I can't beleive it when I hear it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I must be blind cause all the XJ's look the same to me, at least on the outside. Have any of you heard others say the only diff bewteen the KJ and the KK is the front end? :eek: I can't beleive it when I hear it.
Well a few sheet metal designs and the KK is the exact same as a KJ.If you look in the inside of the engine bay of the KK you will notice that the KK's outer fenders is attached to a inner fender which is the KJ's outer fenders.Same engine,****** but they updated front diff(D30M) and went to a no name electronic shifted t-cases over NV/NP brands.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're better off keeping it or take a hit which isn't worth it. I always like those Cherokee's but couple of my friends had them and they were trash. I always had better luck with my rovers, which isn't saying much, even I admit.

haha, gosh, you realize the xj's are one of the most reliable jeeps around, right?

Whats even better is you said something about having good luck with a rover. :eek: oh well

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, gosh, you realize the xj's are one of the most reliable jeeps around, right?

Whats even better is you said something about having good luck with a rover. :eek: oh well

ha, notice I said, I realize that isnt saying much :D

I did not realize they were that reliable, I do like them, wanted one, but like I said I saw some bad experiences (blarg)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

haha.....yea, xj's are very reliable from my experience also.

Rovers can be tough. I helped a buddy install a winch on one several months ago. It works fine but the rover is tempermental. Lucas Electronics can be difficult but the dealership support he has had with it is good. He is on a first name basis with the techs there.

Dave

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well like any car brand there are problems, my friends experiences with cherokee's was probably just a couple bad ones.

yes, the electronics on rovers is a pain, too much.

I will say, if you have a good couple techs that know you are a rover enthusiast, it is a much more enjoyable experience. I can call the shop and ask questions and walk through a scenario, or drive by for a quick hook up to the computer diagnostic software, etc. Also, parts guys once they know you do the work are pretty cool, trying to help, offering advice.

this is the opposite I have seen at my local jeep dealers. parts guys are always full of crap, and the service department is a joke, they want 89.99 before they even think about helping.

there are good and bad about every vehicle/brand, the good I am seeing with this liberty is that I don't worry about it as much as I worry about my rovers. the bad is that everytime something does come up I dread having to deal with chrysler people to buy parts etc.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.