I'm Really Impressed!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CapnRick

Reaction score
I'm a long time wheeler and I just recently purchased an '03 Liberty Renegade. It's pretty much stock at this point but I just got back from my annual Christmas Escape to Big Bend and I wanted to say that the Renegade is one of the most capable off-road vehicles I've driven, even in stock configuration.
The most challenging trail in Big Bend is Black Gap. It's unimproved, unmaintained and unpatrolled. In previous years I've driven it in a KIA Sportage, a friend's Rodeo and an Xterra. This year Black Gap Trail was in fine shape (meaning it was the worst I've ever seen it) and my Jeep went through it without even breaking a sweat, which is more than I can say for me. There were some situations where I literally had the thing almost standing on its nose and I got out of each obstacle without even bruising the front license plate frame. The angle of approach and departure is phenomenal. The short wheelbase also was great going over humps. Power up grades and over obstacles and overall feel and control were outstanding. I had some doubts when I was thinking about buying it but I've been very happy overall and this last trip has me hooked!
My only casualty was the passenger side step rail, which lost a disgreement with a fair-sized boulder on the east side of the gap. My plan for improvement before the next bit of serious off-roading will be the largest tires I can fit and, since I wasn't really expecting too much from the stock rails, replacing them with honest-to-goodness rock sliders.
Just wanted to put in my $.02 to say Libertys ROCK!!

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does the Compass, buddy :) And that thing couldn't navigate a speed bump.

saabsaviur

Reaction score
lol, the compass is deff unique, the other day i test drove on for the hell of it, feels like a little minivan or something

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, lift'em, lock'em, Armor'em, and they'll hang amazingly well, with the big dogs.

You must be registered for see images

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great experience and welcome to the group. Hope your pocket book goes deep since there will be more than just the rock sliders you are going to buy!!

Congrats

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better the rock rail than the rocker panel (biggrin) Now it'll be a steady slide down into insanity as you keep getting that 'one more thing' you need to make it complete.

CapnRick

Reaction score
Been Down That Road Too

Yeh, I've pretty much resigned myself to that fact. Not the first slide by any means eek2.gif but I'm used to sliding, especially into insanity when it comes to my 4x4s.
I know from experience that Jeeps are great vehicles, but I had always looked at the Libs as a sort of "tamed down" version meant to appeal to those who never go into the dirt (from others' comments I'd guess that the Compass falls into that category). Until now I was pretty much locked into *** trucks (Nissan, Toyotas, etc.) I'm happy to admit that I was incorrect in that assumption.
One more thing I was very impressed with - after beating the daylights out of the Renegade on many, many miles of really bad dirt trails, it emerged onto the hard road with not a vibration or rattle or alignment problem, like it just came out of the showroom. I went to Big Bend one year with a friend who had a Ford Expedition. After about ten miles on River Road (one of the maintained ones) the driver's side armrest just fell off - vibrated loose - thus supporting my lack of faith in American trucks.
BTW, any recommendations for sliders?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock Lizard Skink Sliders and AllJ's Boulder Bars are the two that do the most business, I know one other person has gone to Carolina Rock Shop to get some, and Rusty's Offroad offers a set. My personal recommendation would be either AllJ's or Rock Lizard. I run Boulder Bars on my KJ so I know just how tough they are, and looking at the pics on the Rock Lizard site I'd imagine they'll take just as much of a pounding.

Any more questions, just ask. Theres plenty of us who wheel our KJs (biggrin) \:D/