Ignition Coil Pack Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What should have taken 45 minutes, took all day to get 6 new working coil packs! :icon_lol:
Some Days..You Can't win for loosing!!!
I will start by saying I had no MIL and random misfires were seen on scanner previously, low count across most of the cylinders just above idle.
To save you the torture to follow, Six new coil packs has smoothed the Jeep's idle out big time! Stopped at light you don't feel the slight misfire shake anymore :gr_grin:
I am still going to want to see it on Snap On scanner again and look for any random misfires, slightly above idle, just in case, 4 nozzle injectors could be next...

Ok I ordered 6 Delphi coil packs, took them home to install and guess what...
I could not get the jeep electrical connector to lock into the Delphi coils..eek.
IDK if the clip up top was narrow or preventing it from locking, but it was at the point if I pushed the connector in any harder, it may have broke the Jeep's connector!
54748[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Going to send Delphi a note and ask them "what's up" as they are suppose to be OEM, and the part # is right...eek.
54750[/ATTACH]"]

Back on phone at Noon to get another brand today. Standard was available and would be in by 3;30 pm...
54752[/ATTACH]"]

Right On!!! The electrical clip slid right in and locked easily..just the way it should be!
One of the Standard was missing an o-ring..
54754[/ATTACH]"]

so I just moved one over from the Mopar to get it installed right, ya the top seal was folded up too...
Sure makes you wonder about quality control, maybe this was a return? :icon_lol:
Anyways, I am Thankful Jeep likes the new coil packs! :party52:

Since both the recent TPS 1700 rpm surging & coils are not throwing codes...or MIL..
It makes me wonder if it takes 2000 misfires to trigger the light or something..
Maybe we should consider coil packs as a recommended tune up procedure, just like spark plug wires!
Replace them if your Jeep is mis behaving, and 60 k miles or less may very well be the life of them IDK...

BTW.. There is a way with a low amp current probe & a Snap On Scanner to diagnose each firing coil individually!
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR32Lpt623M
I just used the 6 parts cannon method, & my buds shop needs a probe and someone that knows how to run it! LOL!

Attachments

• Coil%20Packs%20Delphi%20Compare.jpg
    Coil%20Packs%20Delphi%20Compare.jpg
    834.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Delphi%20Coil%20Packs%20EEK.jpg
    Delphi%20Coil%20Packs%20EEK.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Standard%20Coil%20Packs.jpg
    Standard%20Coil%20Packs.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Standard%20MIA%20O%20Ring.jpg
    Standard%20MIA%20O%20Ring.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you just replaced the coil-paks......just because they were 60K miles old and it runs smoother? Never thought of replacing mine since it runs smoothe and no codes.......hmmmmmmmm.

How much were they?

(replaced my plugs a couple of times though)

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave the Jeep's engine in Park had a shake going on at idle, hot or cold.
Enough that you could see it visually and feel it on the drivers door, if it was open for instance.
In Drive at a stop light, inside, you could feel the slight shake too.
If you advanced the throttle just slightly above idle in Park, misfires were being counted on the Snap on Scanner (random across many cylinders in a 1 or 2 count) the coil packs were the culprit.
No MIL codes were ever set.
Yes the Jeep's idle is way smoother now and I assume the misfires are now gone.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you also notice the difference between makes with the extra flap around the middle ?
Some later model Mopar have that most early models did not.
My 04 has had them replaced 3 times over the last 11 years

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I have 155k on my current OEM ones. I will more than likely replace in the spring time :)

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine at 98,000 with Mopar. Major improvement.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned I had a misfire code come up a couple of weeks back. I believe you are correct about there being a counter on the misfire code. Mine was a static CEL (not flashing) meaning that it has detected a misfire but it is intermittent. I reset the code through the torque app. the next morning under moderate throttle while not fully warmed up i did feel a stutter but the CEL has not yet returned. I ordered new coils and plugs. For the cost it seems silly not to. Check out the exchange rate :gr_grin: the crazy part is that it was still cheaper to ship this to me than buy it from my local parts store.

Attachments

• rockautoorder.jpg
    rockautoorder.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: