I want to get these, but are they really for "Off-road only"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qbracken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really like to get the 1.25 inch Spidertrax Wheel spacers, but the review on rockcrawler.com mentions that:

"It should be noted that wheel spacers will not pass inspection in many states and that the manufacturer states on the disclaimer that the wheel spacers are intended for off-road use only! "

Is it possible that my 95% of driving on pavement will cause problems if I put these on?

Attachments

• spacer2.jpg
    spacer2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 35

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you won't really cause any problems, but you will have to remove them before you get an inspection.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
No different than having wider wheels.
Besides... Going off road also places more stress on your wheel bearings, CV Joints, transmission, differential, etc,etc.

All be it,my KJ doesn't have spacers yet... But my rallye car does. 1.5 inch wide with six inch wide wheels. With ball bearings, not timken ( tapered roller bearings ). And they hold up very well in off road racing no less.

qbracken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, anyone know the proper pattern of spacer to get for an '06 KJ?
5 on 4.5"??

Thanks ya'll!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hhhhmm...What would my Jeep need to be inspected for??
You mean down here in AZ or somewhere else? Not sure what you're used to dealing with in Washington, but down here it's really pretty simple. About the most I've seen is when you first register the vehicle in the state, they'll give it a general once-over to make sure it isn't falling apart, match the VIN on the front dash to the one on the door sticker and whatever current registration you have. I do know in some states (generally back east, maybe Cali as well???) they'll actually do checks for light function front and rear, stuff like that. Oh and down here in the metro areas (Phoenix, Flagstaff, Tucson) you have to do the smog test every year if the vehicle is more than five years old.

As far as bolt pattern, 5 on 4.5" centers is correct - same pattern as on a lot of Ford trucks IIRC.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always wanted spacers, but when I read a few articles, and different forums -from off-roaders to drag racers-, non of them can come to an agreement that it is either BAD or GOOD or just without affects.. SO I decided to keep my wheels stock for now. I really like wider stance on Jeep, it makes such a difference even with stock wheels, but there is a reason it is aftermarket unit and not made stock with that width, no matter how much someone argues that it makes the vehicle more stable, and meaner looking.

Everyone drives their vehicle differently, and each car is in different shape, so something that might be %101 safe for one, could be just as dangerous for another. I would be scared to go through bumps, potholes or stress the wheels when jumping over a few rocks, because it doesn't feel sturdy enough, afterall it is just a second "wheel" that you are riding on, instead of the "first wheel", if you come to think of it..

SO, unless you can change your mounting points, rotors, etc with wider ones (rather than adding spacers), I wouldn't think of buying spacers for the jeep. This is all my opinion and I just base it on a few forums I read. Feel free to bash it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I always wanted spacers, but when I read a few articles, and different forums -from off-roaders to drag racers-, non of them can come to an agreement that it is either BAD or GOOD or just without affects.. SO I decided to keep my wheels stock for now. I really like wider stance on Jeep, it makes such a difference even with stock wheels, but there is a reason it is aftermarket unit and not made stock with that width, no matter how much someone argues that it makes the vehicle more stable, and meaner looking.

Everyone drives their vehicle differently, and each car is in different shape, so something that might be %101 safe for one, could be just as dangerous for another. I would be scared to go through bumps, potholes or stress the wheels when jumping over a few rocks, because it doesn't feel sturdy enough, after all it is just a second "wheel" that you are riding on, instead of the "first wheel", if you come to think of it..

SO, unless you can change your mounting points, rotors, etc with wider ones (rather than adding spacers), I wouldn't think of buying spacers for the jeep. This is all my opinion and I just base it on a few forums I read. Feel free to bash it.

Good for you!

As they say "Too each their own!"

In the mean time I will continue running spacers on my "Classic" Mini, as they were also supplied with factory spacers.

As far as our Libby goes... I haven't decided if they would be beneficial "From an actual ""Performance"" point of view"

I'm still thinking of fabricating a set and using them to see if they make a difference for both positive or negative. If is costs me a set of wheel bearings(at the least) then so be it!

Cheers

Ryan Heibloem

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People keep recommending them to me but, My tires barely clear the inside of my fenders now. If I spaced them out, I'd tear something off in a hurry. It might work if I had extra long bumpstops but, then I'd probably be in worse trouble trying to get over some of the stuff I off-road... meaning the wheels couldn't stuff so they would force the body to roll, probably over, in my case.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason I would get them is to run 245 tires. I would still need 1" of extra clearance, and since there is no 1" lift, I am staying stock for now..

qbracken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need 1 extra inch of clearance over stock to run a 245 tire? Seems like a lot!

Members online