I want Sat. radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket head unit? If so I suggest spending the extra $ and get the sirius connect for it. It makes a much cleaner looking cab. If you have the factory head unit, I'm not sure how you'd hard wire it in.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on my 3rd different plug and play unit. I like the mobility of being able to take it vehicle to vehicle. I personally would never hardwire it to my Jeep just because I am in so many different vehicle on a daily basis. I would love to get a permanent antenna though. I hate when ever I take it to get washed I have to remove the magnetic one and bring it into the cab so it doesn't get snagged or anything. Just my .02

Reaction score
i have a sony radio with the wiring harness i'll sell to you for super cheap. its sat radio ready

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running the XM Mini Tuner w/adapter thru my Alpine head unit. Controlled by the head unit and the actual receiver is tucked into center console. The receiver itself can be moved from cradle to cradle at will. Have a dock in the house and one that stays in the jeep. One receiver and multiple locations for its use.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a similar unit, an XM radio from a local pawn shop and fell in love with satellite radio. XM & Sirius and pretty the same company but different channel lineups.

In my area we have maybe only two or three radio stations and they all suck. I travel a lot an with the satellite radio I'm never out of range. My setup uses a wire that wraps around the antenna and I power it from the cigarette lighter socket. I simply tune the radio to the right station.
Also since it's portable I can move it between vehicles.

You could always take the opportunity to upgrade your radio deck and buy an aftermarket radio that can play MP3's, CD's, AM/FM and Satellite radio. A much cleaner setup. Most come with a remote control.

Oh by the way my XM radio subscription costs about $15 Cdn a month.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For under $60 to $70 bucks you can pickup a full radio Kit, the Stereo antenna adapters and FM relay adapter.

I use www.tssradio.com for all of my sirius equipment. Good prices and free shipping on orders above $50. They ship fast too.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Sirius radio like that. my dock is hard wired in. go to tssradio site look for this item: SIRIUS Professional Vehicle Install Bundle

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-professional-vehicle-install-bundle-p-7075.html

That is what I got.

the kit includes a direct power box to hard wire in so you dont need to use the power outlet, a direct FM modulator that you need for the best sound, and a mount. you will need antenna adaptors to install the driect FM to a factory HU, those are not in the kit. I have the RB1 with Nav, changer and steering controls so I didin't want an after market. I used a simular sirius set up in the outback I had before the Jeep with the same sirius radio.

I have mine installed under the HVAC controls where the ash tray would be if I had the smokers package, which I don't. I can post a pic later tomorrow if you want to see how that looks.

Its a good place and the best I could think of. the shifter is kinda in the way when in park but I'm driving most of the time so it don't bother me, I can still get my cell charger in and out of the outlet too. the mount swivels some too.

Last edited:

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Sirius radio like that. my dock is hard wired in. go to tssradio site look for this item: SIRIUS Professional Vehicle Install Bundle

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-professional-vehicle-install-bundle-p-7075.html

That is what I got.

the kit includes a direct power box to hard wire in so you dont need to use the power outlet, a direct FM modulator that you need for the best sound, and a mount. you will need antenna adaptors to install the driect FM to a factory HU, those are not in the kit. I have the RB1 with Nav, changer and steering controls so I didin't want an after market. I used a simular sirius set up in the outback I had before the Jeep with the same sirius radio.

I have mine installed under the HVAC controls where the ash tray would be if I had the smokers package, which I don't. I can post a pic later tomorrow if you want to see how that looks.

Its a good place and the best I could think of. the shifter is kinda in the way when in park but I'm driving most of the time so it don't bother me, I can still get my cell charger in and out of the outlet too. the mount swivels some too.

ya that would be great to see pic. but i thought about gettin one with a remote and just using the rear outlet, or to much troulbe lol or stupid idea?

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic I took with my blackberry, sorry its not that clear but you can get the idea.

You must be registered for see images attach

I didn't get a remote, I don't know if the remote will work if you put the sirius reciever in the cargo area. the remote might be infired and need line of sight to work. you will have a longer run with the FM wire to the front, I don't remember if that wire on the modulator is long enough either, but the power and antenna wires will be a short run. BTW my antenna is on the back right corner of the roof .

If you are going to go with this kind of thing direct FM to the HU is the best way to go. I had mine hooked up with just the wire thingy on the window near the antenna for a few weeks and it didn't work that well. I had it like that on a camping trip I took after getting the Jeep and not having all the parts to install mine like it is now. THe sound was ok with some static as long as you were not close to a big town or you didn't choose a frequency close to one being broadcast in the area or by other sat radio users that are near.
with the Direct FM its clear and static free. the direct power thing is something I didnt have in the Outback. I used a power splitter which looked ugly and the direct FM but I couldn't get that out of the car when I traded it.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
ya i like that setup and is yours hard wired in that pic of outlet?

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i like that setup and is yours hard wired in that pic of outlet?

yep you use the kit and tap a line that is only on when the key is on and then yor siruis radio plugs into the box you feed off the line you tapped into. the box is hidden under the dash. my outlet is there to the right and kind of behind the mount. the outlet is free so I use it to charge my blackberry or plug in whatever I need, the sirius is powered on its own. its sort of a compromise but it works well for me.

the mount is upsidedown screwed in to the top of that opening under the heat and A/C.

I took that pic sittin in the driver's seat waitin in traffic.

Wally

Reaction score
I have a factory unit that I may be willing to pull out. My 07 is leased but I think I will be buying it in the next few months so I have no need for the Sirius unit. The factory head unit is already out. Let me know if you are interested.

I would recommend getting something that does not use a FM connection. Satellite radio already looses some of the sound quality without having to run through a FM station.

Just my .02.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I have a factory unit that I may be willing to pull out. My 07 is leased but I think I will be buying it in the next few months so I have no need for the Sirius unit. The factory head unit is already out. Let me know if you are interested.

I would recommend getting something that does not use a FM connection. Satellite radio already looses some of the sound quality without having to run through a FM station.

Just my .02.

how much w/shipping and will it fit in a 03

Wally

Reaction score
how much w/shipping and will it fit in a 03

Let me think about how much. I checked and both the '03 and '07 take the same install kit so it looks like it will fit. The only concern I have is pulling the satellite antenna. If I know how much a new one is, it will help determine how much for mine. If I have to pull it and buy sopmething to fill the hole I will need to recoop that cost. If I can leave it and send you the head unit and satellite unit, I will charge less.