I hate the dealership.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scull20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/begin rant

So I took the KJ in for its last "warranty sponsored" maintenance before 60k mi. to get my 4th fan speed fixed and the front passenger seat fixed (it only reclines halfway). They told me something about the passenger seat being a "body issue" so it would cost to fix it, so I said forget it. Then they told me, "well it looks like theres a coin suck in there, but it will still cost to remove it." Again I tell them to leave the car alone. 10 minutes later I get another call, "It looks like you're gonna need front brakes." Mind you, I just had the freakin brakes done last month. I said the brakes are brand new and there is no reason for you to, #1 have the car up on the lift to fix a seat and a fan, and #2 have the tires off the car as well. So they told me that the car was still on the ground with the tires on...and he's gonna be able to tell that I need brakes by looking through the rim, when the pads on there are new to begin with. This was a complete waste of time.

/end rant

-Ryan

UPDATE: They called me back again, Your Jeep is ready to be picked up. There will be 20 dollar charge for fixing the seat. I TOLD THEM TO LEAVE THE SEAT ALONE. Im refusing to pay it, that is complete garbage that they did something I told them not to do. And when I go to pick it up I better get the coin that was stuck in the seat or Ill throw a fit :)

UPDATE2: On the bright side...I'll take pics of the new rear cargo shelf later :)

UPDATE3: After some whining to the service manager and after his comment of, "Well you only bring this vehicle in for warranty items, so....." (I have my mechanic do the "major" work.) I will not have to pay the ridiculous 20$ fee. Lets just hope when I pickup the KJ later that they didn't mess with anything considering I'm 500mi from my extended warranty limit.
I'll probably write Chrysler an email, or send them a letter sometime this week.

FINAL UPDATE: Picked it up, no problems. They taped the Nickle that was in the seat onto the print out from the tech in the service dept. Shelf finished and installed (Pics tommorrow).

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They pull that brake trick on everyone dont they?! I guess they figured everyone thinks they are really important so they know they will fall for it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you gonna need new brakes. Damn it, I shouldn't have fallen for that, I think at 30k.. They messed up my brakes. Idiots.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I have to have some work down on my KJ that I don't have the special tools or equipment and a dealer needs to do it(or I'm feeling lazy) I am very specific on what they can and can't do,only take it to the dealer for the warrenty on the parts and labor.Do a little research on what needs to be done and when you take it in tell them exactly what to do.I give them the parts needed(part#'s as well),cost of the parts,how to do it,and even the torque specs.Make sure they wright it all down to,and tell them no other repair is authorized up front.I worked at a dealer and learned these steps work,they don't take you for a idiot,do the work right,and don't try to screw you at all knowing you know something about your KJ and will double check the work.

The last time I had a dealer work on my KJ was after I just got back from Afganistan(I was feeling lazy) and had them replace my fuel filter,raditor hoses,t-stat,and flush my coolant.Well they screwed to pouch by reusing the original fuel hose lock(kinda hard to tell since it's on top of the tank)and the old lock came off and my fuel line came out of the filter leaving me stranded.The dealer paid for the tow back to the dealer,I was mad as a hell about it,screaming and welling until they shoved a $200 gas card in my hand,I shut up and waited for them to fix it.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/begin rant

So I took the KJ in for its last "warranty sponsored" maintenance before 60k mi. to get my 4th fan speed fixed and the front passenger seat fixed (it only reclines halfway). They told me something about the passenger seat being a "body issue" so it would cost to fix it, so I said forget it. Then they told me, "well it looks like theres a coin suck in there, but it will still cost to remove it." Again I tell them to leave the car alone. 10 minutes later I get another call, "It looks like you're gonna need front brakes." Mind you, I just had the freakin brakes done last month. I said the brakes are brand new and there is no reason for you to, #1 have the car up on the lift to fix a seat and a fan, and #2 have the tires off the car as well. So they told me that the car was still on the ground with the tires on...and he's gonna be able to tell that I need brakes by looking through the rim, when the pads on there are new to begin with. This was a complete waste of time.

/end rant

-Ryan

You should report this incident to your state consumer advocates office to get it on record.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. I'm on my third Jeep from the same dealer (Dave Burt Chrysler Jeep Dodge, in Columbus, Indiana) and have never had anything but excellent service.

2003KJ

Reaction score
You should report this incident to your state consumer advocates office to get it on record.

He should also call Chrysler Corporate and make them aware of the situation. Worst case, nothing will happen....best case...they might actually do something about it.

Reaction score
dang you guys have had bad experiences. my chrysler dealership is great. they run their checks and fix what needs to be fixed. they even gave me one of those trunk covers out of an 08 for free when i told them mine didnt come with one.

05kj6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily we haven't had to take the KJ in but I have been to the damn dealer more times than I'd like to count for the TJ and most problems were caused by **** they didn't fix the first time that they should have and that we told them to check. They didn't check, then 20 some 30 some and 50 some thousand miles later all back in the shop. All warranty costs they could have avoided but we sure as hell wasn't paying for it. The problems should be ok now but what a f'in hassle. We will never buy from that dealer again for a few reasons.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
dang you guys have had bad experiences. my chrysler dealership is great. they run their checks and fix what needs to be fixed. they even gave me one of those trunk covers out of an 08 for free when i told them mine didnt come with one.

You'd need that with that subwoofer. :) I covered mine up with the cargo cover so nobody would be able to see it. Definitely necessary here in Detroit.

Reaction score
yea my friend had an integra and someone figured out he had subs and they used a crowbar to try to open his trunk.
You'd need that with that subwoofer. :) I covered mine up with the cargo cover so nobody would be able to see it. Definitely necessary here in Detroit.

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. I'm on my third Jeep from the same dealer (Dave Burt Chrysler Jeep Dodge, in Columbus, Indiana) and have never had anything but excellent service.
LoL...I couldn't agree more.
We've bought 2 Grand Cherokees, 3 Libertys (soon to be 4 :D), 1 Compass, 2 Grand Caravans, and a Dakota P/U...plus 2 other used vehicles from my dealer here in Plantation, FL...Massey Yardley Chrysler/Jeep. Imagine all the regular maintenance associated with these vehicles, plus recalls and warranty stuff. I can't ever recall a problem or anything less than stellar service from these guys. I wouldn't even consider going anywhere else for my vehicles.

I guess it just depends on the individual dealership. :confused:

Paul