I checked under the hood, it is dirty!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyedipin, did you wash it yet??? It hurts my eyes !!

I wanna see "after" pic's.

Dave

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine's still purty and clean....and i hope to keep it that way. :D

You must be registered for see images

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No cheating, that's an 06! :) I got mine in 03 November.. It's been through 4 winters.

No, not cleaned yet.. Pretty damn busy, and will probably be due to a few certain people at work!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon... RECORD IT. :) I wanna see how you gonna hose down your engine bay.

Ok question: What stops the vehicle going from deep, and i mean DEEP puddles? Is it the intake? when it gets water it stops? Or what is it, then? Is it exhaust?.. ? I thought when the alternator gets wet, it was it.. guess not.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ok question: What stops the vehicle going from deep, and i mean DEEP puddles? Is it the intake? when it gets water it stops? Or what is it, then? Is it exhaust?.. ? I thought when the alternator gets wet, it was it.. guess not.
Getting water in the intake,it hydro locks the engine.your engine will not compress water to well and lock up,hopefully it doesn't bent the rods at the same time.You can drive without the alternator,that's what the battery is for(back up and for starting).The exhaust does not matter unless you shut the vehicle off while it's under water,then the water will make it up to the engine and could possibly hydro lock the engine to.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would never go in water over my breathers. Water gets in the trans, tcase, and front+rear diffs.... then yours screwed. If water gets in the intake then the engine is gone.. Sometimes it wont hurt it right away and you can take the spark plugs out to get the water out. It usually bends a connecting rod and it will blow up later on down the road. :rolleyes:

Edit: tjkj, Im getting sick of you beating me to threads! :mad::D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never go in water over my breathers. Water gets in the trans, tcase, and front+rear diffs.... then yours screwed. If water gets in the intake then the engine is gone.. Sometimes it wont hurt it right away and you can take the spark plugs out to get the water out. It usually bends a connecting rod and it will blow up later on down the road. :rolleyes:

Edit: tjkj, Im getting sick of you beating me to threads! :mad::D
That's odd! And I'm typing with one finger from each hand to(don't know how to type,doing the old finger pecking:D ).

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
tj, got it. Basically any kind of volume moisture in the intake, you are pretty much screwed and stuck. It seems like most of the cars that get stuck in the rain has this problem. Water in intake. What else?

And I realize what the alternator is for, it just helps you get the energy from the engine, since it is turning, what the hey, let me get some electricity out of it (like dynamo?). So if batter is in good shape, it will continue powering things until it dies if the alternator is slammed?

Blake, by breathers you mean intake? Isn't that why people slap snorkel?
Also you mentioned t-case, ****** and diffs. Aren't they supposed to be well sealed. I drove (and many people I know) through pretty deep puddles both on and off road without any modification to any one of those. I assum that's what Trail Rated badge is for?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blake, by breathers you mean intake? Isn't that why people slap snorkel?
Also you mentioned t-case, ****** and diffs. Aren't they supposed to be well sealed. I drove (and many people I know) through pretty deep puddles both on and off road without any modification to any one of those. I assum that's what Trail Rated badge is for?
No, the breathers he is talking about are hoses that come off of the areas mentioned, they allow the pressure to equalize as the component temperature changes - when they heat up air escapes and when they cool down air is pulled back in. Most people who are planning to do a lot of water fording will take extra hose and connectors and extend the breathers up to the air box, especially if they have a snorkel. The front diff breather comes up under the battery tray, the ****** (and I think the t-case) come up at the back of the engine and the rear diff comes up by the fuel filler tube.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never knew about the breathers... I thought they were sealed tight.
Thanks Kevin!

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .02 A garden hose and a little car wash soap usually all I use. I stay away from degreasers and high pressure sprays. But my main trick is - buy new vehicles every 4-5 years, hose the engine when it is dusty and not quite dirty. If it gets dirty then I swab it with the car wash soap after washing the vehicle. My 02 Neon's engine with 111,000 miles on it is just as clean as my Jeep's engine with 16,000 miles. I have been doing this since I bought my 1st new vehicle in 1979.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score

Hmm... completely forgot about this thread. I ended up taking the black KJ. :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
People put aluminum foil on top of places they don't want went.. but how could they put that on battery?

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simply Green and then use the power washer low setting at the car wash (no trigger pulled) for generally rinsing. Pull the trigger for really dirty spots that are safe to hit with the higher pressure.

My engine compartment was super dirty after the Moab trips. Simply Green soaked onto the engine compartment, let it soak a few minutes and then spray. Cleaned up great. A brussh will be needed for the hard to reach areas, tough dirt, and areas you can't get the spray onto.

Latest posts

Members online