I bought a KJ and I have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnoland

Reaction score
OK everyone I have some upkeep questions for you all. I bought a Liberty manufactured in Jan 2002. It rolled over 108000 the day i brought it home. I saw on the carfax that it is a single owner vehicle and was originally bought here in South Carolina. It had a tune-up done at 64000 at a local jeep dealer. It also shows that the engine and brakes were checked at 84000 at the same dealer.

The dealer i got it from did a 120 point inspection, changed oil and air filter and also put brand new tires on it. It runs very strong and theres no stuttering or knocking at all. So my question is, what all needs to be done after 100k? there are no records for anything being checked after the 84k. Thanks in advance for everyones input.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I would start with sparkplugs, then all fluids,would not have to be done at one time,would just work my way through them. Most can be done with a minimal amount of tools or expertize.Get a Haynes or Chilton manual at the least.

cnoland

Reaction score
Well id like to think im pretty mechanically inclined so, i dont feel i wil have any problems doing it myself as long as i shouldnt need a second set of hands. Ill do plugs first. Which fluids are the most crucial to change?

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
diff and get with autolite platinum or double platinum..i just changed mine 15 mins ago

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What tires did they put on it?

As for the oil, go ******...then coolant perhaps....

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would change the oil in the differentials right away, that way you know what's in them. Also get the transfer case fluid changed too. I'm assuming it is 4x4 of course.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the transfer case if its 4wd... And tip there is to make sure you remove the fill plug before the drain plug, that rule came into place after so many got the drain plug out and the transfer case empty only to find out they couldn't get the fill plug removed!

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Alright ill pick some up and get a haynes book too.

Did the plate holder show up yet?

nope the plate holder aint here but will be here tomorrow tho. and the way i did the last to plugs on the passenger side was unbolted the over flow for radiator and moved it foward and zip tied it off and then i just needed 2 swivel scockets and was done...she even felt like she ran better

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Have the transmission flushed and the filter replaced at the dealer. Should run about $300.

Sure is cheaper than a $3000 transmission in here