I am in the club now...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My left rear window regulator just blew out today. I have already pulled the panel and inspected it. I can pull or push the window up and down with my hand. Window is in track, motor turns, nothing happens so it must have blown a cable or gear. I just did a search and I can see the problem is quite common. As a former mechanic, I never wanted power windows and have avoided them until this vehicle. My question is, if I go to the dealer, will the regulator be any better than the one that is coming out? Or should I go elsewhere?

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are under warranty go to the dealer. If not I doubt anyone else makes one other than Mopar. At least not yet. Oh and welcome to the club.

Thanks, I nearly fell out of my chair when I did a search at this site and found out how frequent the problem was... Some had multiple failures. I find it really annoying at this moment but I don't want to get down about my Jeep. It otherwise has been nearly flawless. Yeah, I got the clicking in the steering wheel but Mopars have been doing that for years anyway. My 02 Neon does it too and I have never fixed it. I replaced many a steering column bearing in the late '70's working at a Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge dealer. I started turning wrenches for money when I was 15, that was in '72. The last time was in '94 or so. So if the warranty covers it, I am at the dealer, if not I am buying the part.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you happen to notice when the regulator broke? In the cold weather-ice covered windows? I know the drivers(since its the only one I open in the winter)ices and freezes very easily. I had to be careful with opening window in the -5 C and below days.

I also turned wrenches for $$ at a Chrysler dealership in the earl 90's. I did alot of re/re with the Dynasty trannies when I worked there. Still have some of the Service Bulletins in my toolbox.:eek: :eek:

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to notice when the regulator broke? In the cold weather-ice covered windows? I know the drivers(since its the only one I open in the winter)ices and freezes very easily. I had to be careful with opening window in the -5 C and below days.

I also turned wrenches for $$ at a Chrysler dealership in the earl 90's. I did alot of re/re with the Dynasty trannies when I worked there. Still have some of the Service Bulletins in my toolbox.:eek: :eek:

I know exactly when the regulator broke... Yesterday, sunny and 75. I was just raising it from a couple inches down and left my finger on the switch a little too long. It started making noise and that was it. It might have gotten strained once or twice in icy weather but I doubt it. Being the left rear window and the vehicle rarely has passengers, it really didn't have much use on it. A build up of dirt on the bottom molding might have held it up a little.

Dodge Dynasty trannys? I feel your pain. I hated all of those K car spin offs. If the engine and driveline issues weren't enough, you had to keep up with goofy stuff like door handles breaking off and gloveboxes that wouldn't close.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodge Dynasty trannys? I feel your pain. I hated all of those K car spin offs. If the engine and driveline issues weren't enough, you had to keep up with goofy stuff like door handles breaking off and gloveboxes that wouldn't close.

Hah! K-cars! I saw one get hit, and I mean barely tapped by another car and all of the body molding fell off. I mean everything all around the car.

Makes you wonder what they did with the A through J models!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm I about the only one that has not had a regulator failure?

I'm mean after 6 years and 2 months it should have happened right?

I guess I know how to pick the trouble free vehicles,execpt the LBJ's nothing has failed on my KJ that I didn't cause to fail.Well I take that back my passenger side morror doesn't move anymore but I guess over 6 years of inactivity(I never adjust it) does that sometimes,oh and my drivers seat is frozen in place since that never has been moved in over 6 years either(hence why power seats and mirrors are pointless),I don't allow others to drive my KJ,if they happen to they must not move anything or they will feel the wrath of my 3ft crowbar:D.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines been fine for 4years now. Im not saying people in this thread do this but over the years after watching many people put a power window up or down, this is how they do it.

-push the switch(window moves a few inches
-let off the switch
-push the switch
-let off the switch
-push the switch
-let off the switch
-push the switch
-let off the switch
-push the switch
-window finally makes it all the way down
-they hold the switch for around 10seconds just b/c they can
-lets off the switch

When the window goes back up:

-push the switch
-let off the switch
-push the switch
-let off the switch
-push the switch
-let off the switch
-push the switch
-let off the switch
-push the switch
-Windows makes it all the way up
-hold the switch b/c they can

haha, catch my drift? Im not saying that the regulators are made of gold, they are cheap, but I believe the life of them could be pro-longed or prevented.

Back in school when people would ride with me, they would do the above method(push, let off). It annoyed me a pretty good lot so when someone would start to roll the window down I would go ahead and take over the controls and roll it down for them. Most of them never really figured out what was going on but it made me feel better about the hole or-deal of rolling a window down. :D

scull20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should just get rid of windows all together, hell mine are down most of the time anyway. :)

If it makes ya feel any better, the window reg finally went on my Cutlass Supreme after 15 years of ups and downs.

-Ryan

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the problem seems to be 05 and up. I have 2 friends with 02 KJs, one with 161k miles, no problems. JeepJeepster is right because I do that. Especially with the left rear because that is the one I can't see when I am lowering my rear windows a few inches while driving. 3/36 warranty covers it so it is in the shop Tuesday.

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my 06 left rear regulator replaced a couple of months ago...under warranty.
It does seem to be a better regulator....at least the window goes up and down much faster than it did before.

On my wife's Compass, the windows literally FLY up and down :confused:.

Paul

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm I about the only one that has not had a regulator failure?

No, I haven't had this failure. My understanding was that there was a recall for the '02-'03 models for this, but had been resolved by '04? Or am I thinking about door-lock actuators?

Members online