Hypothetical: Lockers or Quaife LSD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hypothetical, because I can't find a quaife application for a Jeep, though I have seen them for Land Rovers, so they are used in an off-road capable vehicle.

Anyway- I'm curious as to if a Quaife LSD could not be as effective (in most situations anyway) as a set of lockers? I know about the problems of clutch based LSD systems in off-road situations, but Quaifes are gear based with no clutch to slip or burn. Unlike lockers, the Q-LSD is infinately variable & totally automatic, and very useful on-road as well.

My other thought is, if the Q-LSD is as great as I understand, why does Jeep use a clutch type LSD? Am I missing something?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A true locker is always going to be the most effective, especially when wheels come off the ground (happens more often than you think). Clutch based LSD can sometimes leave a lot to be desired, especially factory ones. Why Jeep doesn't use a gear based LSD is beyond me. Too cheap probably.

You can get a detroit true-trac for the front or rear (dana 30 and chrysler 8.25 29 spline) which is a gear based LSD like you speak of. Supposedly quite effective with some brake modulation.

I run an automatic locker. The power-trax no-slip. It's road manners are not as good as an open diff, but from what I heard it can actually be better than the factory LSD at times in slippery conditions. It does make some noise from time to time, but is great off-road. Was inexpensive and easy to install.

schnitzelpuss

Reaction score
kjpilot said:
My other thought is, if the Q-LSD is as great as I understand, why does Jeep use a clutch type LSD? Am I missing something?

Being an ex-Jeep salesman, I learned a lot about these different differentials. Quaifes are as expensive as they are awesome, which is why they are available only on the higher models of the Grand Cherokee. I wish quadra-drive was available on the liberty, I would have gladly paid the extra cash for it, but not everyone knows what they are getting when they buy it, so they dont understand why it's so much moe expensive.

The Quadradrive system has 3 Quaife differentials, one on the front and rear diffs and one in the xfer case, with this system, 100% of the power can instantly be transferred to one wheel, if that one wheel is the only one with traction. I love it.

Hypothetical...If I found a newer Grand Cherokee with quadra-drive that was totaled, but the 4WD system was unaffected, could I yank the front/rear diff and the xfer case and use them on the liberty? An 05 Renegade 4WD to be exact?

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
Hypothetical...If I found a newer Grand Cherokee with quadra-drive that was totaled, but the 4WD system was unaffected, could I yank the front/rear diff and the xfer case and use them on the liberty? An 05 Renegade 4WD to be exact?

Probably not. The Vari-Lok axles used in the QD system have smaller & differently shaped diffs than the KJ. Plus the QD front diff is attached to a SFA. I don't think it would be possible to swap diffs on the two vehicles.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schnitzelpuss said:
kjpilot said:

I dont see why you couldnt do the rear axle and xfer case, if the rear axle is the same, and it should be i would think.

schnitzelpuss

Reaction score
kjpilot said:
So the LSDs in the quadra drive system are Quafies for sure?
If I remember my training, then yeah...not the whole gearbox, just the LSD inside.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.