Hypertech error 6F- unable to read VIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install a Hypertech programmer (I have the Max Energy) and received a 6F error- unable to read VIN?

I have searched the forums and could not find anything referencing this error in particular. I have also removed the fuses for my radio (it is an aftermarket with Bluetooth) and updated the programmer with the latest frimware.

I am going to call Hypertech tech support on Monday but I did not know if anyone else had experienced this error. :help:

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Hypertech tech support and was told not to remove any fuses and to try it again. When it did not work again, I was told to send the log file so that the engineering group could take a look. It was determined that the PCM (which is the original) does not have the VIN programmed into it.

I have called one of the local Jeep dealers and got the response that the vehicle should not be running if the VIN is not programmed into the PCM. I am waiting to hear back after a discussion with the techs.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, going to necro my own thread, but I think that I figured it out. After going to the dealer to check my PCM and an independent garage that specializes in computer work the VIN number is in the PCM and there is nothing wrong with it or my PCM in general.

The problem is that over the course of my Jeep's life, the PCM has been flashed with updates- one before I owned it and one for the transmission when I recently took it to the dealer. Hypertech units seem to not be able to read the PCM when it has been changed from the stock programming.

Hypertech's tech support response- send us the unit and for $220 we will fix the programming for you. Am I the only person that has had this problem?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that many people even bother with running a programmer , so could be the reason you don't hear much