Hyper Miling question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
drag is our enemy..
over a long distance highway drive..

would folding back the passenger side mirror help?

hmmmm?

ive been pondering this.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is 19.7 so much better than 19.2 that it warrants cutting down on safety? JMO.

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think legally you need the passenger mirror, or maybe it is the driver side. I know its one or the other.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i rarely use my passenger mirror on these long treks..

and you think it would move up .5 mpg? :D

its a theory question more than anything..

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
you must have the driver side mirror.. by state it may vary if you must have the passenger if it were a factory installed mirror. ie. my 66 mustang didnt need shoulder belts or right mirror because theyd idnt come with them.

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could hunt for a more aerodynamic mirror that fits correctly.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Legally only the driver is required, but check your state laws.

I doubt it would even go up .5, even with it folded, there is still resistance from it. Just less. And with how bricky the KJ is, it's not going to help. Maybe on something aerodynamic, like a Prius....

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score

I doubt it would even go up .5, even with it folded, there is still resistance from it. Just less. And with how bricky the KJ is, it's not going to help. Maybe on something aerodynamic, like a Prius....

hmm interesting..

ive heard of people removing windshield wipers, antennas, and mirrors to reducedrag before..

hmm..

id never 1. remember to do this 2. actually take the effort to do it..

its just interesting to me.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Antennae is understandable to remove....but removing wipers and folding in mirrors cuts down on safety, which is where I draw the line...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I take advantage of a lot of hypermiling techniques...

I feel like I kind of have to with all the skids/accessories I'm running. Keeps the MPG's reasonable.

I don't move mirrors though. I use mine, so it wouldn't make sense. But the antenna thing... that might be doable. I have to remove the antenna eventually to fix/replace my fender on that side anyway - those trees just jump out right in front of you sometimes. :eek: :D

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take advantage of a lot of hypermiling techniques...

I feel like I kind of have to with all the skids/accessories I'm running. Keeps the MPG's reasonable.

I don't move mirrors though. I use mine, so it wouldn't make sense. But the antenna thing... that might be doable. I have to remove the antenna eventually to fix/replace my fender on that side anyway - those trees just jump out right in front of you sometimes. :eek: :D

They also jump out from the side so be careful!:eek:

To me, the mirrors and little things are just that, little things. I imagine a more drastic improvement would be had by reducing drag underneath the Jeep like crazy lady said with skids and the road sign from the front bumper to the skid like I believe Tom and a few others have. A full belly pan would be the best for reducing drag underneath but it would keep heat in and reduce ground clearance more than it would be worth in fuel savings.

The above is just my uneducated opinion on the matter so it is probably way off :D

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This very topic has already been beaten to death.

Reducing your vehicle's drag by removing antennas or folding in mirrors doesn't result in a measurable increase in MPG. But I have seen a difference in MPG if I put a big roof basket complete with lights and a spare tire on it. It's like having a sail on my roof :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Better fuel economy comes from a tune up, new plugs air filter and clean throttle body synthetic oil and gear fluids.
Lighten the load, and your throttle foot, increase tire pressure by a few lbs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Deer
ARB bumper
no problem

I had a buddy of mine who did hyper-miling before it was ever even a word. This was back in the early/mid 70s
He had a Plymouth Fury with the grill/ headlights covered, except for a small area for air to get into the radiator, had metal fashioned from the bumper clear back underneath, ran his tires over inflated, rear windows taped over, no mirrors, all sorts of crazy stuff.
He used to do these "test trips" at midnight every Friday night, come back and park in the garage.
One week we would siphon out maybe a gallon of gas, next week add maybe two gallon, took him a long time to catch us!
Funny thing is the night we got caught the Chief of Police was our look out!:D:D

Powerman04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've actually tried laying off the skinny pedal for awhile. Well of course, bad habits always come back, but in my spirited driving I still get roughly the same MPG. I stopped caring long ago after that revelation. drive.gif

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah, you're not going to get .5 mpg by folding down the mirror.