Hunting for the right Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
Howdy, I'm currently hunting for the right Liberty right now. Will likely end up getting a 2WD Sport or Limited. The 4WD KJ Liberty's in my area are rare, and when they do come available they are high mileage.

Basically selling my Ford F150 4x4 and plan on getting a Liberty because we have children, and need the extra seats. While I'm selling my truck, I still wanted something rugged but affordable. So my wife and I settled on the Liberty.

I'm likely gonna go look at a blue sport this weekend and if they come down to the right price level we will purchase it.

While I know that a 2wd isn't gonna be able to do everything a 4wd does, how good is the 2wd Liberty compared to other similar 2wd vehicles??

I've seen videos of people fording streams in 2wd Liberty's and doing some light mudding, but wanted to get it from the horses mouth.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

I can't answer the 2WD question as I only have a 4x4, but you've definitely chosen the right vehicle ;)

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy, I'm currently hunting for the right Liberty right now. Will likely end up getting a 2WD Sport or Limited. The 4WD KJ Liberty's in my area are rare, and when they do come available they are high mileage.

Basically selling my Ford F150 4x4 and plan on getting a Liberty because we have children, and need the extra seats. While I'm selling my truck, I still wanted something rugged but affordable. So my wife and I settled on the Liberty.

I'm likely gonna go look at a blue sport this weekend and if they come down to the right price level we will purchase it.

While I know that a 2wd isn't gonna be able to do everything a 4wd does, how good is the 2wd Liberty compared to other similar 2wd vehicles??

I've seen videos of people fording streams in 2wd Liberty's and doing some light mudding, but wanted to get it from the horses mouth.

Get some good tires and good clearance and a light trail will be POSSIBLE in 2WD. I do lots of trails in 2WD but I like having 4x4 to make me feel more comfortable. Would I suggest it? Probably not! It's all that much easier to get stuck in the mud/on a rock. Throw a locker or similar in the rear and you might get better results. If fording small streams and driving through the woods is all you expect out of her, I'd say she'll do just fine on a set of A/Ts.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might as well get 4x4 and not worry about it. Would be cheaper than buying what you need for rear wheel drive like a locker and such.

If you want really rugged get a nice 2002 or 2003.5 that has the 45rfe.

Not as nice inside but much more "rugged" IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
Thanks for the 2 cents y'all. Unfortunately 4wd in my area is RARE. The only time they pop up its a high mileage vehicle.

I will just get some Bridgestone Duelers and stick to the small streams and light trails ;)

Even with my 4x4 I RARELY took it down to the local mud bog in Beverly Hills, FL... with my 2wd I will likely just take it on road trips up to the Smoky Mtns and stick to the normal trails.

The only time I forded anything with my 4x4 is when I went through a road that was flooded due to a Hurricane or TS.

Last edited:

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
Update.... currently trying to pull a carfax on it right now from the dealership, and also haggle the price down by a grand. I also have a print out of the list that was posted in a another intro thread about things to look for when buying a used Jeep KJ.

Wish me luck.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having 4WD is the best and a jeep with just 2WD is okay but you can get stuck and then you will need to call for a tow. But with 4WD you can get your self unstuck with 4lo.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Well just make friends with 4wd if you go 2wd :)
Problem solved. :)

You'll probably be happily surprised by performance in 2WD with good tires. I live in the Cleveland area and have to deal with a fair amount of snow. Even so, the 4WD only gets turned on when it was either really deep or icy. My tires aren't the greatest model either. Couldn't tell you much from personal experience about sand/mud.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Since Kevin you are from Florida a 2wd should be fine not like u get 4 feet of snow there lol
What ever you buy you can with the VIN # get a free options print out from the dealer so you know all from trans do drive axle info. Very handy to know what u bought.
Limited editions were generally way better optioned with leather, sport were basic models.

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
Drats!

Someone beat me to the lot and bought it out from under me. Then I found two more and those got bought before I could even get to the lot.

So I'm still hunting... will keep y'all posted.

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
Since Kevin you are from Florida a 2wd should be fine not like u get 4 feet of snow there lol
What ever you buy you can with the VIN # get a free options print out from the dealer so you know all from trans do drive axle info. Very handy to know what u bought.
Limited editions were generally way better optioned with leather, sport were basic models.

This is what my buddies told me... to be honest I don't think I ever used the 4wd on my F150.

Florida is flat.

We MIGHT move to either East Texas or Arkansas in a year or so, which is the only reason why I wanted to get a 4wd.

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
My hunt is over... we got a 2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4 this afternoon!

I'll have to post pictures once I get around to it tomorrow when the sun is up.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Patience pays off! You're going to have a lot of fun in that thing. :waytogo:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bullwinkle is a stalker :happy175: heh heh

Couldn't you see him sneaking up on you?

Last edited:

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here it is... phone died and lost it... I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Can't wait to get busy working on it.

Last edited:

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already miss working on mine and it's only been a week. Ended up getting a work related hand injury. I never really had fun work to do on a vehicle before. That's a color I'm not used to seeing on a KJ. It seems that there are only four colors in Colorado. ☹

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk