Humming in Full time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just noticed today when I had it in 4 full time, there was a buzzing/humming sound when accelerating, mainly between 30 and 40 MPH. No noise in 2WD. Fluids in transfer case and diff are pretty fresh (less than 10k on both, done at dealer) No noise when coasting either.
Any thoughts? Or is this normal?

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
How long since it's been in full time?, I notice that if I don't engage the four wheel every so often that the first time I do it seems to be a noise, mainly in part time, but I engage it a few times during the summer going down the drive just to move things.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would be checking the fluid level in the transfer case then, unless the fluid has broken down. You can use regular lube in the transfer case.

I'll check it, but I've noticed no leaks, and the dealer did it just less than 10k ago... :Frustrated:

Thanks everyone!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think it's coming from the transfer case. Not sure. But, I have this thread on LOST too, and JeepJeepster said that it's nothing to really worry about.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably humming because it doesn't know the words :happy175: Sorry, couldn't resist.