HOW TO: Turn on lightbar dash light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. Sounds good, let us know how it turns out..
According to the FSM, there are two type of BCM (Body Control Module).

There is a Basic, and a Premium, apparently if you have the Basic, you're out of luck for both..

"There are two different versions of the BCM: base and premium. The base BCM is a subset of the components in the premium version.The base version BCM does not support the following features: Compass Mini-Trip Computer (CMTC), fog lamps (front and/or rear), Remote Keyless Entry (RKE), remote radio switches, or Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS)."

But since Remote Keyless Entry is there, maybe we all have the premium...

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished digging some more.

The connector is an AMP(made by TYCO) connector. In the MULTILOCK series. The 22 and 26 pin connectors are 040/070 Hybrid Series II connectors, which handles signal and power ckts. I know way to much mumbo jumbo on this, that is not required.....

AS for the pins that fit, these are the TYCO numbers.

175265-1 (sells by the strip) for 22-18 awg wire
179417-1 (sells by the each) as above
175266-2 (sells by the strip) (gold plated) for 22-18 awg wire
179418-2 (sells by the each) (gold plated) as above
175268-1 (same as 175265)
179423-1 (same as 179417)
175275-2 (same as 175266)
179424-2 (same as 179418)
175269-1 (as per 175265 except it is 20-16 awg wire)
179425-1 (as per 179423 except it is 20-16 awg wire)

The only numbers I would be concerned with are the first two and the last two. That gives you strip and individual piecec ordering for the different awg wire.

Digging thru TYCO/AMP catalogs and matching up connector drawings(and 3D renderings) and descriptions is what got me to this conclusion.

Last edited:

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The base BCM in fact does not support the added features. I have printed pages and pages of the wiring diagrams tracing out various ckts. That and the descriptions of the various indications and how they are triggered on/off in the cluster. The rear fog light says it is software disabled for the "markets" that do not require this feature. Would be nice to use it for a separate aux lighting indication.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
so S1Loki i have tried to get that dash lightbar light to come back on and i get it back on...so what do ya think?

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will know the remote keyless equipped ones. They only have one keylock(and its on the drivers door).

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by simply putting a ground on pin 19? and the light turns on. You didn't hurt anything then. To make it work with the flip of a switch. That is turn the aux lights on and the indicator light. Either use a DPST(double pole/single throw) switch. One pair of contacts to power a relay for the lights. The other pair to provide a ground to pin 19 (which will light the indicator).

OR multiple relays to do the same thing. I am going the multi relay route with mine. One switch to control two relays(coils) in series. Not sure where I want the switch(es) for sure. The first controlled relay will be under the dash and control the the ground to pin 19. The second relay(coils in series) will be under the hood and fairly close to the aux lites.That way power for them will be on a really short run.

Got my prelim drawing here on the desk. Just need to order some micro relay sockets and build me a harness to lay in.

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is how to wire a relay with a 12v positive input and have a ground as an output to turn on the lightbar dash light.

If you have a switch or an alarm or keyless entry that has a positive output that you wish to use to switch a device that requires a ground such as a horn, dome light, parking lights, head lights, hatch release, etc., wire a relay as shown below to convert the positive output (trigger) to a negative output.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.