HOW TO: Turn on lightbar dash light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Ok i Pulled everything out how do I know which one is PIN 19? I really don't see any numbers

Thanks

the way i did it was started counting wires from one side until i got to 19 and if it wasn't blank i counted from the other side.

MicroFF16

Reaction score
Thanks to the help of blue KjR417 modification is completed and works great. Now only if I can figure out how to tap into the fog light harness....:eek:

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to upload some pics of where the connector is and where pin #19 is for people who plan on doing this..

These two connectors are located on the reverse side of the fuse box. Really high up under the foot well.

Picture of pins from under foot well.
You must be registered for see images attach

Picture of close up of pin connector & pin #19

Light bar dash light lit up

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I just wanted to upload some pics of where the connector is and where pin #19 is for people who plan on doing this..

These two connectors are located on the reverse side of the fuse box. Really high up under the foot well.

Picture of pins from under foot well.

Picture of close up of pin connector & pin #19

Light bar dash light lit up

awesome contribution to the thread man! what lights did you hook up to the indicator?

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I don't thread-jack,
I am going to link to a post on www.lostJeeps.com
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=549998#p549998

.....Now with that said, I actually haven't done it yet, I was just testing it out.
I was wondering how exactly you guys wired it up, did you use an additional relay to send the ground to pin #19?

Or did you use a double-pole, single-throw (DPST) relay that Beartard said to use?

Because I have a small mess under the dash to control my Fogs and Spots.
One way turns them on when I want them, the other turns on automatically with parking/brights respectively, and middle position have them off always. Setting up Aux Fogs with a SPDT ON-OFF-ON switch
Since I did it that way there are extra wires, I really don't want another relay if I don't need it.

(not to thread-jack again, but does anyone know how to turn the foglight, or rear-foglight dash lights on as well?)

Thanks
-Dean

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on adding some hellas 500FF (4 of them) on a roof rack and I was wondering, can I turn that dash light when I turn those lights on???

also do you know how to wire 4 lights with one switch cuz they sell them in pairs with wiring and switches

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I'm planning on adding some hellas 500FF (4 of them) on a roof rack and I was wondering, can I turn that dash light when I turn those lights on???

also do you know how to wire 4 lights with one switch cuz they sell them in pairs with wiring and switches

yes lol thats the whole point of this thread haha

and as long as you use 2 separate relays, one to each pair, just splice the trigger wire from the one switch to each of the trigger connections on the relays. if you have any questions pm me or email me its in my sig.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
So I don't thread-jack,
I am going to link to a post on www.lostJeeps.com
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=549998#p549998

.....Now with that said, I actually haven't done it yet, I was just testing it out.
I was wondering how exactly you guys wired it up, did you use an additional relay to send the ground to pin #19?

Or did you use a double-pole, single-throw (DPST) relay that Beartard said to use?

Because I have a small mess under the dash to control my Fogs and Spots.
One way turns them on when I want them, the other turns on automatically with parking/brights respectively, and middle position have them off always. Setting up Aux Fogs with a SPDT ON-OFF-ON switch
Since I did it that way there are extra wires, I really don't want another relay if I don't need it.

(not to thread-jack again, but does anyone know how to turn the foglight, or rear-foglight dash lights on as well?)

Thanks
-Dean

i used an additional relay. just splice a wire onto the trigger wire from your switch and run it to the second relay. then wire the second relay just like you would normally except instead of connecting power to it to pass through connect a ground for it to pass through. i don't know how to make the fog light indicator turn on but i do know that my ground to the bcm for it from the factory was white with an orange stripe. but that wont help you figure out which pin it is. i don't know what you mean by rear-foglights either but hope i could help. and i promise you if you only have one set of aux lights you don't know what extra wires under your dash is lol just sayin haha

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes lol thats the whole point of this thread haha

and as long as you use 2 separate relays, one to each pair, just splice the trigger wire from the one switch to each of the trigger connections on the relays. if you have any questions pm me or email me its in my sig.

lol o ok thankx, I'll make sure to PM you when I'm about to do it....thankx

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
This is what the light looks like in 2005 Renegade that didn't come with the stock light bar!
[/QUOTE]

can you blow that light?????

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not unless you put power to it. The "sense" wire that would have occupied pin 19 is a logic ground for the computer. It then tells the cluster to turn the light on via the pci bus.

With the roof light option installed. Pin 19 was direct wired to the roof light switch.

This same logic would allow you to control the "fog" lamp light and possibly the "rear fog lamp" indicator lights.

sbndw27

Reaction score
infernicus how did you wire your lights to come on with the brights? I want to put some roof lights on my 06 but I don't want to worry about turning them off and dimming my lights when meeting a car. If they're wired to the brights then they'll turn off automatically when you flip to dims right?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to source a connector contact, or crimp as they are commonly called, for the BCM plug so we can correctly add the missing wire needed? I might have to look into this, if its a common type i might be able to just get one from Mouser or Digikey and then make this even better.

Another easy way instead of adding another relay is to use a double pole switch, one side activates the relay, the other side switches a ground to the BCM.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
well im just going to double back to back side of my inline fuse and then just redo it so that when i flip my switch on the light comes on on the dash.....so if anything blow it will just be my fuse......what ya think????

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been doing the research on the connector pins.

From what I can tell (at this point in time), is the connectors on the BCM are AMP pieces. Right now my guess is the contacts are the MCON-1.2 series. Still digging a little deeper

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
infernicus how did you wire your lights to come on with the brights? I want to put some roof lights on my 06 but I don't want to worry about turning them off and dimming my lights when meeting a car. If they're wired to the brights then they'll turn off automatically when you flip to dims right?
(I'm going to assume you have some basic knowledge of wiring, if not let me know and I'll explain in more detail, there are also other places that explain how to hook up an automotive relay).

I attached a relay to the high beam wire so it would trigger the relay to send power to the lights.
here is a thread on lostJeeps.com that shows the wire to connect it. (NOTE: This is on a 2007, not sure how different it is on other years.)

I have it set up to turn on when I want it to, turn on automatically with high beams or have it off all the time, again, here is a link to my post on lostJeeps.

If you want no control over it, and just want it to turn on with the high beams no matter what, just hook the trigger wire to the relay and that's it.
If you want to be able to turn them off with your high beams on then just put a switch in between the trigger wire or "power to lights" wire.

If any of this was confusing, let me know.

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been doing the research on the connector pins.

From what I can tell (at this point in time), is the connectors on the BCM are AMP pieces. Right now my guess is the contacts are the MCON-1.2 series. Still digging a little deeper
Hey, I was trying to find the right type of pin for that connector too. Any idea where to purchase these? Or if you have, wanna send some my way? lol.

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.. "This same logic would allow you to control the "fog" lamp light and possibly the "rear fog lamp" indicator lights" ...

Yeah, I thought I tried the other empty pin locations, but maybe I'll try again..
Maybe that someone who has done this mod and they have the factory fogs can see which ones compare to the picture I posted of my BCM harness.
I previously found a page that listed all the BCM pins and what they did, and if I remember correctly it did not mention either of them.

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still digging on the pins for more info. May just order several batches and get lucky. The front fog light is a go for use, the rear is a moot point. At least on the 06 it does not light during a self test. If I read it correctly this one is software disabled in the US market.

Gonna try the direct approach with AMP and see if they will tell me the series number via the connector style/number