How to tell what OEM radio was installed in a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Henryts77

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited and previous owner replaced the OEM radio with a Kenwood and while the Kenwood sounds good I would like to replace it back with the original OEM radio it had in it. The problem is that the Kenwood has tiny controls on it making it tough to change channels and other things and keep your eyes on the road an it also will not work with the steering wheel controls. The problem is that apparently there were different cd/radio models installed for the standard audio systems. I have looked on ebay and found numerous cd/radio units that are listed as fitting the 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited but there are a number of variations of the faceplate as well as different part numbers (just for the standard and not high end models) and many sellers warn to make sure the part number they are selling matches the original part number you are replacing - kind of hard to do if you don't have the original radio :icon_frown: . Any info will be appreciated

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Email Jeep with the VIN and ask for a build sheet, it should have the "Sales Code" as it's called I think for the radio. It'll be 3 letters like RBQ.

Henryts77

Reaction score
Check out: https://customerconnect.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

For mine it lists "AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl"...not sure if that is specific enough to get you down to a model # or not.

Thanks for the link but unfortunately the build sheet it gives me says the same thing as you said which is a bit generic but then again it does tell me that the OEM radio had a CD and a Cassette and only some of the units listed on ebay had both a cassette and a CD so it does narrow it down . Just to be safe I emailed Jeep using a link on the site you gave me a link for-Thanks :happy160:

Last edited:

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the radio's for 03,they should be the same as 02 I think.

Gyro

Last edited:

Henryts77

Reaction score
Email Jeep with the VIN and ask for a build sheet, it should have the "Sales Code" as it's called I think for the radio. It'll be 3 letters like RBQ.

I used the link that Matt provided me to generate a Build Sheet but all it said about the radio was AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl and no 3 letter code which I could of used with the chart Gyro provided. I did e-mail jeep so I will see what they say.

Last edited:

Henryts77

Reaction score
Here are the radio's for 03,they should be the same as 02 I think.

Gyro

Thanks Gyro - even though some of the descriptions listed on the top section seem to contradict with what the part number descriptions say at least I have some part numbers to work with while searching ebay and see if I can find a unit that matches the build list description that will fit my vehicle - it would have been simpler if the build list had the 3 letter radio code but part numbers are a start and at least I now know I am looking for a unit that has a CD and a Cassette with cd changer control and has a matching part number from your list.

Henryts77

Reaction score

Thanks kaktuso - the first link was especially informative but I just want to make sure I am reading things correctly:

" There are many radio options for the 2002-2007 KJ Liberty.

From 2002-2003, the RBB was the base radio available on Sport. It featured an A/M-F/M radio and a cassette player. It also featured manual bass, midrange, treble, fader, and balance controls, as well as CD changer controls (a CD changer was not included). U Connect Hands-Free Bluetooth Telephone was an option for this radio. This radio was only available with the standard sound system."

I take it that rules out RBB for my Jeep as it is a Limited?

"Standard from 2004-2007 on all models and the standard on the 2002-2007 Renegade and Limited Edition models and optional from 2002-2003 on the Sport was the RBK. It featured an A/M-F/M radio and a single-disc CD player. The radio, however, could not read MP3-encoded discs, and did not have Radio Data System (RDS) capabilities. It was, however, adaptable for SIRIUS Satellite Radio on later models, and was adaptable for U Connect Hands-Free Bluetooth Telephone. Later, an auxiliary audio input jack became standard on this radio. Manual bass, treble, fader, and balance controls were on this radio (these controls were later changed to onscreen, digital controls). This radio was available with either the standard sound system or the Infinity Gold premium sound system."

Ok - since my build list lists a unit with both cassette and cd w/cd changer controls that rules out RBK as it has no cassette?

"Optional on all models from 2002-2007 was the RBP. It featured an A/M-F/M radio, a cassette player, and a single-disc CD player. The radio had CD changer controls, though a CD changer was not included. The radio could not read MP3-encoded discs, however, it had the Radio Data System (RDS) capabilities. SIRIUS Satellite Radio could be added on later models, and U Connect Hands-Free Bluetooth Telephone could be added as well. Manual bass, treble, fader, and balance controls were on this radio, and this radio was available with either the standard sound system or the Infinity Gold premium sound system. The radio was the only radio available for the 2002-2007 KJ Liberty that could read MP3-encoded discs, and had Radio Data System (RDS) capabilities. It was adaptable for SIRIUS Satellite Radio as well as U Connect Hands-Free Bluetooth Telephone, and had manual bass, treble, fader, and balance controls (these controls were later"

So to me the unit in my Jeep would be a RBP - am I reading this correct? Also - this paragraph seems to contradict itself first saying it can't read MP3 discs and then it says it can. No big deal but just curious.

Thanks again kaktuso for these links :)

kaktuso

Reaction score
i think all radios from Gyro s list will fit to your KJ

RAD /Europe, RBT /Japan.... Im not sure

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Got a photo of your current head unit?
Going back to the factory radio is like going backwards in sound quality !!
Why not just install a new HU that you do like.
The stock radios were how do I say it...WEAK !!!
Ps My Pioneer HU came with a remote..I wonder if your HU has that feature available & u can get a remote for it...

Henryts77

Reaction score
Got a photo of your current head unit?
Going back to the factory radio is like going backwards in sound quality !!
Why not just install a new HU that you do like.
The stock radios were how do I say it...WEAK !!!
Ps My Pioneer HU came with a remote..I wonder if your HU has that feature available & u can get a remote for it...

LibertyTC - to be honest I am surprised you are the first one to question why on earth someone would want to go back to OEM from what they may think is a higher end HU - the reality is the Kenwood installed is not in my opinion a higher end HU - it is a KDC-180 and retails in most places currently for under $80 and per the manual does not offer a remote ( although the higher level units in the series do).. I do love high quality audio ( you should see my Home Theater) but just for cruising around town I value safety more and being ble to use controls safely outweighs quality and the ability to use the OEM steering wheel controls for audio would be worth it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe some of the new head units have the ability to work with the steering controls nicely. Some of the Jeeps came with the more powerful premium Infinity systems/speakers etc. It was the only system that had some power. I think the stock units were like under 20 watts just WEAK...and no bass boost etc etc..The stock speakers I am still using & enjoying with my New Pioneer unit.
Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f201/recommendations-upgrading-my-stereo-kj-55995/
Because of the different wiring/amps in the infinity system I did end up calling a local dealer & with the VIN number he was able to look up the system in my vehicle and may be able to help in your situation where you may wish to know the exact model of the stereo that came with your Jeep.

Henryts77

Reaction score
I believe some of the new head units have the ability to work with the steering controls nicely. Some of the Jeeps came with the more powerful premium Infinity systems/speakers etc. It was the only system that had some power. I think the stock units were like under 20 watts just WEAK...and no bass boost etc etc..The stock speakers I am still using & enjoying with my New Pioneer unit.
Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f201/recommendations-upgrading-my-stereo-kj-55995/
Because of the different wiring/amps in the infinity system I did end up calling a local dealer & with the VIN number he was able to look up the system in my vehicle and may be able to help in your situation where you may wish to know the exact model of the stereo that came with your Jeep.

I decided to take your advice and contacted a local deal and was given the part number 5603855am for the original unit and I could get one from them for "only" $628 :wtf2: :favorites68: umm-yeah right. I did a search on ebay and found 2 items listed in english - one was for the faceplate only and the other had no pictures - just a $45 price and $19 shipping :/

Henryts77

Reaction score

Thanks for the link - it was very helpful. The actual part number number ended with an M but that apparently is not a big deal. What I found helpful with the listing is the seller included an interchange list which I presume is a listing of all models that will work in place of others in the list. I would have purchased the unit you linked to but the cassette part is not functional so the rest of the unit may not be in the greatest shape.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoops - just looked at the PN, not the blah blah of the listing.

Glad there's an interchange list, though.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RBP Radio

I just bought a 02' Liberty Sport with a stock RBP Radio. Seems only the right front and left rear speaker are working. I'm not sure, but I think I have the Infinity sound system. Need to open up one of the doors to be sure.
Anyway, I'd like to keep the stock head unit for the same reason. Large easy to use buttons. And it works, other then the speakers...

Mine also have a wire win a DIN plug in the cargo area for the CD changer.
I was hoping to find one for it, but where would it be located? Mine has a parcel net on the opposite side of where the wire is, where I see others were factory installed...
The changers I found on eBay all have a square connector, and are meant to be mounted in the area where the parcel net is located.
I'm confused:shrug:

Thanks kaktuso - the first link was especially informative but I just want to make sure I am reading things correctly:

From 2002-2003, the RBB was the base radio available on Sport. It featured an A/M-F/M radio and a cassette player. It also featured manual bass, midrange, treble, fader, and balance controls, as well as CD changer controls (a CD changer was not included). U Connect Hands-Free Bluetooth Telephone was an option for this radio. This radio was only available with the standard sound system."

"Standard from 2004-2007 on all models and the standard on the 2002-2007 Renegade and Limited Edition models and optional from 2002-2003 on the Sport was the RBK. It featured an A/M-F/M radio and a single-disc CD player. The radio, however, could not read MP3-encoded discs, and did not have Radio Data System (RDS) capabilities. It was, however, adaptable for SIRIUS Satellite Radio on later models, and was adaptable for U Connect Hands-Free Bluetooth Telephone. Later, an auxiliary audio input jack became standard on this radio. Manual bass, treble, fader, and balance controls were on this radio (these controls were later changed to onscreen, digital controls). This radio was available with either the standard sound system or the Infinity Gold premium sound system."

Ok - since my build list lists a unit with both cassette and cd w/cd changer controls that rules out RBK as it has no cassette?

"Optional on all models from 2002-2007 was the RBP. It featured an A/M-F/M radio, a cassette player, and a single-disc CD player. The radio had CD changer controls, though a CD changer was not included. The radio could not read MP3-encoded discs, however, it had the Radio Data System (RDS) capabilities. SIRIUS Satellite Radio could be added on later models, and U Connect Hands-Free Bluetooth Telephone could be added as well. Manual bass, treble, fader, and balance controls were on this radio, and this radio was available with either the standard sound system or the Infinity Gold premium sound system. The radio was the only radio available for the 2002-2007 KJ Liberty that could read MP3-encoded discs, and had Radio Data System (RDS) capabilities. It was adaptable for SIRIUS Satellite Radio as well as U Connect Hands-Free Bluetooth Telephone, and had manual bass, treble, fader, and balance controls (these controls were later"

So to me the unit in my Jeep would be a RBP - am I reading this correct? Also - this paragraph seems to contradict itself first saying it can't read MP3 discs and then it says it can. No big deal but just curious.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring Harness?

Does the standard 02 & 03 wiring harness support all the radios in Gyro's list? Can one simply plug in the most complicated radio into the wiring connector for the base radio and everything works? Is an oem radio upgrade simply plug and play?

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RBP and RBK radios

I have a 02' sitting in my garage, currently being stripped for parts, because the engine dropped a valve, and is trashed. It still runs, barely...on 5 cylinders.

Anyway, I just bought an 04' and I'm swapping all the new parts I installed, and some other parts, that I need for the 04'.

The 02' has a RBP radio, that I like. Larger display, Cassette and CD. (Yeah I'm old and still have a ton of cassettes).
And the 04' has a RBK radio. And doesn't have RDS (which is nice).

I have no idea if the radio plugs are the same yet. As I haven't pulled them out yet. But I know they sell an adapter for this. Heck I could just make my own, if I know the wiring pin-outs.

My question is... I would like to play copied CD's burned on my computer. As I don't want my original CD's sitting in a hot car!

So far none of my "copied" CD's will play on either radio. The RBP just says "ERROR" and the RBK just sits, and won't play a copied CD-R.

I am still searching for a way around this. And I have found some advice.
Most say I need to save the songs to WAV files, and then burn them to a disk, and this will work. Still trying to figure out how I can do this easily...

Any help would be appreciated. And If I find a solution myself. I will sure post it for others.

Latest posts

Members online