How to tell if you have the TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasKJ07

Reaction score
I was told my my salesman when we bought the Jeep that it had the TPMS, but the window sticker didn't say that. In the owners manual under the TPMS it doesn't say "if equipped" which leads me to assume that they all have it? Is there any way to tell...Jason

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Look at your valve stems. If they're metal, with a silver cap, you have TPMS. If they're the normal black rubber, you don't have it. Another way to tell is to well... let the air out of a tire. If the TPMS light comes on and dings like crazy, you have TPMS. If not, you don't have it. :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Good question. I don't have it, but my sister's Renegade does.

I've never seen a KJ Sport with TPMS... now a KK Sport on the other hand...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at your valve stems. If they're metal, with a silver cap, you have TPMS. If they're the normal black rubber, you don't have it.

Not true. I have an '02 from before TPMS was even available and I have metal valve stems with chrome covers. Granted, I put them on, but that is not an accurate way to tell. The EVIC and releasing air will tell you though.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true. I have an '02 from before TPMS was even available and I have metal valve stems with chrome covers. Granted, I put them on, but that is not an accurate way to tell. The EVIC and releasing air will tell you though.

You sure the actual valve stem is metal? Ive never seen a valve stem that was metal and wasnt a pressure sensor.

Got any pics?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure the actual valve stem is metal? Ive never seen a valve stem that was metal and wasnt a pressure sensor.

Got any pics?

I believe that the actual stem is still rubber, but it is entirely covered by chrome and I believe the top may also be chrome. Don't quote me on that though. Basically, I just wouldn't use that as a gauge to decide if the Jeep has the system installed.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stupid ?

what is TPMS? tire pressure monitoring system???? guessing from the sounds of this

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPMS is not available on Sports. Renegades and 65th Anniversary Edition, sometimes. Limiteds, it is standard. EVIC has nothing to do with it and is no way to tell because even then it won't show up in there unless it is premium TPMS. The easiest way to tell is to order a build sheet and looks for LABS on it. But the answer is no, already.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting question that I've been wondering about since I got my KJ last year...so being a limited (and also having the "chrome" valve stems), it definitely has TPMS. I thought I had TPMS because last year the EVIC showed a warning message that my spare was low pressure. A quick guage of the tire proved correct. However, I had wondered because my EVIC does not display the actual pressure information for each tire as I have seen on other Jeeps like the commander. So I am correct in saying that you can have TPMS without actually having the individual displays of each tire pressure on the EVIC?

lvmykjeep

Reaction score
I have an 05 renegade. No EVIC, But i have the Tire pressure sensors. An idiot light comes on the dash board when tire pressure is low. Or in my case when you break a valve stem(sensor). It has to see all five (yes including the spare)tires. Now off to the dealer to spend 56.00$ for a new one.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can have the TPMS and not have the evic. Like lvmykjeep said, a light will pop up.

Now something Ive got to figure out, on really cold mornings the light on the dash comes on but the evic says nothing. All 5 tires have 35psi. Hopefully the batteries are not already going dead... :(

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can have the TPMS and not have the evic. Like lvmykjeep said, a light will pop up.

Now something Ive got to figure out, on really cold mornings the light on the dash comes on but the evic says nothing. All 5 tires have 35psi. Hopefully the batteries are not already going dead... :(

I have had mine go off on me several times and the system notifies me in the EVIC and I never noticed a dash light going on also. But yours is an 04 and mine an 05 so there could be a difference. Either that or I can't see my dash warning lights......hehe

Nice old thread.

As far as the TPMS goes it is federally mandated and required equipment in 07 with vehicles made after a certain date......in Jan or Feb 07- I am not sure which......... Before that it is a crapshoot...... Some luxury cars had it 10 years ago. With Jeeps, some pre 07 build date jeeps have it and some don't. I know in the 05 Limited it was standard as that's the way it was listed on mine.

As far as telling if you have it or not, all the ones I have seen have metal (aluminum valvestems) and special aluminum caps that seal tightly to cut down on condensation and messing up the sensor. But if you bought the jeep used someone could have just changed the valvestems. The only way to really confirm if you have them, and you don't have you vehicle build sheet I guess is to air down a tire as was previously said. There might be another way that I am not aware of though.

Dave

Last edited:

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I have had mine go off on me several times and the system notifies me in the EVIC and I never noticed a dash light going on also. But yours is an 04 and mine an 05 so there could be a difference. Either that or I can't see my dash warning lights......hehe

Nice old thread.

As far as the TPMS goes it is federally mandated and required equipment in 07 with vehicles made after a certain date......in Jan or Feb 07- I am not sure which......... Before that it is a crapshoot...... Some luxury cars had it 10 years ago. With Jeeps, some pre 07 build date jeeps have it and some don't. I know in the 05 Limited it was standard as that's the way it was listed on mine.

As far as telling if you have it or not, all the ones I have seen have metal (aluminum valvestems) and special aluminum caps that seal tightly to cut down on condensation and messing up the sensor. But if you bought the jeep used someone could have just changed the valvestems. The only way to really confirm if you have them, and you don't have you vehicle build sheet I guess is to air down a tire as was previously said. There might be another way that I am not aware of though.

Dave

Mines an 05, I don't have an EVIC but I have a warning light in the dash aswell....

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My 04 started doing the same thing this winter with the dash light. After you run down the road a few miles it goes out.

So, each tire sensor has a battery in them? Never had one apart, or do you have to replace the whole sensor?

BMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to tell if you have the TPMS

• mood swings
  • irritability
  • depression
  • anxiety
  • angry outbursts
  • confusion or fuzzy thinking
  • tearfulness
  • fatigue
  • insomnia
  • changes in libido
  • overeating
  • cravings, especially for salty or sweet foods

These are all things to look out for. Always a sure sign if you experience several at the same time. :D :D :D