HOW TO: Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
OK So here is a step by step on how to change the Spark Plugs on your KK.

6 - New Spark Plugs ... I used E3 Diamond Fire plugs Part # E3.48
3/8 Ratchet
2 - 3/8 Extensions
1 - 10mm socket
1 - 5/8 Spark Plug Socket
You must be registered for see images attach

First you will need to remove the 10mm bolt holding the Coil Pack down.

Next disconnect the wires going into the Coil Pack and remove the Coil Pack

You should be able to see the spark plug if you look down the chamber.

Before you remove the spark plug put a few dabs of oil or automotive grease down the rubber sleeve in your Spark Plug socket. This will help when you need to remove the socket from the newly installed plug.

Now remove the old plug. They put them in there really tight and you might need a breaker bar to get the plug loose. Try to keep the socket straight up and down so you don't damage the threads or chamber wall.
**TIP: REMEMBER ONCE YOU REMOVE THE OLD PLUG YOU WILL HAVE AN OPEN HOLE INTO YOU ENGINE. MAKE SURE NOTHING FALLS DOWN IT!!!

Out with the old and in with the new!

To finish you just want to reverse the process.
- Screw in new plug
- Replace coil pack
- Re-connect coil pack
- Replace 10mm screw holding the coil pack down

**TIP: DO NOT FORCE THE NEW PLUG IN. IT SHOULD GO IN EASY. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE THREADS OR CHAMBER WALL WHEN YOU INSTALL THE NEW PLUG.

Shwanzig

Reaction score
Nice guide, at what mileage did you replace your spark plugs? I know Jeep says @ 60K, but that sounds a bit early to me.

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any manufacturer recommendations as to replacing the ignition coils?

What about platnium versus iridium spark plugs?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any manufacturer recommendations as to replacing the ignition coils?

What about platnium versus iridium spark plugs?
Replace coils when they are bad,and your engine is designed for copper core plugs,double platinum plugs work as well(still change every 30k though).Stay away from single platinum plugs and those fancy snake oil plugs like shown above,cost to much money and will not do anything a $1 each copper core plug won't do.

Shwanzig

Reaction score
I apologize for not knowing much about changing spark plugs, but I've heard you have to "gap" or "change the length" on the spark plugs themselves. How do you go about doing this, and what is the length for the liberty?

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize for not knowing much about changing spark plugs, but I've heard you have to "gap" or "change the length" on the spark plugs themselves. How do you go about doing this, and what is the length for the liberty?

99% of plugs bought these days are pre-gapped. if you want to check them buy a 99 cent thread gapper at any auto parts store

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug Question

So, on my previous vehicle (a Ford Explorer) it was somewhat common for a plug to break off in the block while changing plugs. I understand the Explorer fleet is older as a whole, but is this common/rare/possible for a Liberty?

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I just put in some Mopar plugs. Rather than give a torque spec, the diagram on the box indicated that the plugs should be screwed in finger-tight, then given a half- to two-thirds turn with the ratchet.