How To Restore My Libby's Brake System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to give my 2003 Libby Sport (only 93K miles) to my Grandson, but before I do that I want to make sure it's in very good condition, starting with the brakes.
I'd like to bring the brakes back to like new condition by replacing the whole system with OEM quality or better parts... so here are my questions:
1) To save money, where can I buy Chrysler OEM parts other than the Jeep dealer?
2) Other than rotors, calipers, pads, new fluid, what other parts do I need to restore the brake system?
3) What's a "ballpark" estimate of what that work might cost at a local garage?

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to give my 2003 Libby Sport (only 93K miles) to my Grandson, but before I do that I want to make sure it's in very good condition, starting with the brakes.
I'd like to bring the brakes back to like new condition by replacing the whole system with OEM quality or better parts... so here are my questions:
1) To save money, where can I buy Chrysler OEM parts other than the Jeep dealer?
2) Other than rotors, calipers, pads, new fluid, what other parts do I need to restore the brake system?
3) What's a "ballpark" estimate of what that work might cost at a local garage?

1)rockauto.com has all you need...cheap!
2)brake kleen, disc brake hardware kit, your time
3) this is one of the easiest routine maintenance you can do...you will pay on average $65 per hour to have this done.

read these horror stories
$969 to replace my brakes,forget college, I'm going to brake replacement school [Archive] - Sawmill Creek Woodworking Community

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a 2003 it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace brake hoses and calipers while you're at it. Being from Florida your lines are probably still rust free with no salt use down there.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a 2003 it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace brake hoses and calipers while you're at it. Being from Florida your lines are probably still rust free with no salt use down there.

I second that. My rears were toast and one blew out just after I made it down the step descents in VT and NY. Could have been very ugly!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
1)rockauto.com has all you need...cheap!
2)brake kleen, disc brake hardware kit, your time
3) this is one of the easiest routine maintenance you can do...you will pay on average $65 per hour to have this done.

read these horror stories
$969 to replace my brakes,forget college, I'm going to brake replacement school [Archive] - Sawmill Creek Woodworking Community

The so called " Horror story " is funny. Of course any one and their cousins brother in law can slap on a set of pads. But the shop that the quote was from has rent, heat, electric , shop towels, brake clean, taxes, the Techs labor and insurance plus other things to figure in. Plus I'm sure it included new parts including calipers , rotors, mounting hardware, flushing the system etc. So while its funny title of forget college I'm going to brake replacement school, they could and only get a small portion of that total amount.
Funny how people don't think a Techs time, tools, experience are worth anything but they complain about their wages and think they should make more in whatever field they are in.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
To the OP
If you want to be sure , have it at least checked out by a qualified Tech.They can look it over good and give you a good idea before you order any parts.
Always go the upper limits on brake parts. Cheap ones will be just that cheap and you don't want to go cheap on brake parts.
Seen way too many over the years where people did and ended up costing more in the long run. Of course then they would yell at me for ripping them off!:happy175::happy175: