HOW TO: Replace dead instrument cluster lights

Discussion in 'How To' started by BluPhant, Mar 17, 2005.

1. sam_pon

sam_pon New Member

could some one please re-upload the pics , because it is not appearing

thanks a lot

2. sam_pon

sam_pon New Member

i knew it is from a very long time

but this pics really will help me to not broken my car

i do not know if there is some bolts for the panel from up , or it is only the down four bolts

and i do not know how to remove the upper cover to change the small speakers .

thanks in advanced for helping me

3. cradled

cradled New Member

I second this.

4. jaerdin

jaerdin New Member

where do you buy different colored bulbs at?

5. kidjedi

kidjedi New Member

Trying to replace some burned out bulbs in my '05, but having trouble removing the Pillar Cover. Mine has two 6mm hex head bolts in the panic bar (handle), but the hole is too deep to get a socket in there. Any body have a trick to help out with this? Looking forward to being able to see how fast I'm going at night.

EDIT: Turns out the bolts in the support column handle are 5.5mm. I just pushed the socket in and backed out the screw. The handle is pretty soft, so I don't anticipate much of a problem with it "bouncing back" once it's time to put things back together and put the trim plug back in.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  6. PuckDrop

PuckDrop New Member

7. PuckDrop

PuckDrop New Member

what could go wrong indeed.

The bulb required for my 2003 Jeep Liberty, in case it helps anyone else, is:

Part number - 4839738AA
    Qty: 9 to replace each bulb in cluster.

Wanna know how I am so sure? Well let me tell ya....

I bought those PHILIPS PC74s from Rockauto. Wrong bulb.

Went to NAPA and they looked up the bulb and told me they didn't have them either.

Went to Lordco and they were even less helpful.

Went to BumpertoBumper and while they didn't have the bulb a sales rep there reached out to another supplier who after a few minutes indicated he did have the right bulbs so off I went again.

While I can't remember that supplier's name it won't matter to most here as they are a local store and not a national chain and he sold me a bulb that looked right.

It was part # 639-006 (from Dorman). Those too didn't fit so at that point I decided to call the Jeep dealer and get the parts from them. Enough time, gas and effort had been wasted trying to avoid paying dealership parts department prices.

Believe it or not the bulbs the Jeep dealership sold me were also incorrect but I was so excited to get them from the "experts" I didn't notice on my receipt until I got home that they too had sold me pc74 bulbs that were never going to fit.

Another drive back to the dealership with calipers in hand this time to measure and compare every square millimeter of the replacement bulbs to ensure I got the right ones. The dealership apologized and low and behold the second set of bulbs they handed me were the actual right bulb and ten minutes after getting them home the bulbs were installed a working.

I now once again have paradise by the dashboard lights.