HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you will need a 2002 or 2003 evic to get the temperature display to work when you get the temp sensor installed. If I recall correctly the bus address of the temperature readout changed in 2004.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread discussing the differences in the units.
Marlon got me to thinking, so I just checked the FSMs for both '03 and '05. The '03 does take the temp signal from the BCM, and in the '05 it comes from the PCM (powertrain) module. I would think the engine control systems would have a temp sensor anyway, maybe they just decided to do away with the stand alone unit that was in the earlier models. Anyway, that's what I learned today :D

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered on OTIS off ebay, can't wait to put it in!!!
I'm gonna do like most suggested, upgrade later when I can find the right evic.

tooslow

Reaction score
Well I finally did it I won a 2004 EVIC from Ebay they kindly added the fitting behind the unit and shipped to the Middle East, I made a a wiring loom and fitted the loom before the unit arrived.

the unit came and I kept putting off fitting it, the thought of cutting the roof trim,

Anyhow, I had to got to the Philippines for 6 weeks on Business and the little wify complained the computor wasn't fitted, so I plucked up the courage and fitted it.

To my supprise it worked well apart from the temp reading was -9 degrees C it is currentlu 42 degrees C Oh well I thought, but after five minutes later it started to read correctly, (later I read it only takes a temp sample every five minutes). so now It is all working correctly,

Ok now where are my roof lights.

Martin

xlr8

Reaction score
does anyone know if this can be done for a 2007

I would like to know if anyone has done this on a 2007 liberty sport or am i out of luck for adding this neat feature to my liberty :confused:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has done this on a 2007 liberty sport or am i out of luck for adding this neat feature to my liberty :confused:

I added a 2003 KJ EVIC to my 2007 with no issue. The only non-functioning component is the temp readout. I don't have TPMS to deal with, but the compass, fuel range, economy, programming features, etc all work flawlessly.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a 2003 KJ EVIC to my 2007 with no issue. The only non-functioning component is the temp readout. I don't have TPMS to deal with, but the compass, fuel range, economy, programming features, etc all work flawlessly.

This week I picked up a used OTIS from an 03 Liberty. I'm assuming I can get it to function in my 04 Liberty but from reading the previous posts it sounds like I won't be able to get the ambient temperature sensor functioning. Am I correct?

Also where the heck under the dash does the wiring harness plug in? Beneayth the steering column maybe?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I've just realized. The EVIC/OTIS wiring harness doesn't plug in under the dash does it? I have to splice it into the OBD port wiring?
Yes that is correct. IIRC there are three wires you'll have to splice into, and the forth one is a ground. There is more info on here about which wires they are; it's been a few months since I installed mine and I can't remember which is which but I know the info is out there.

Oops, my bad. The three wires that get spliced are the ground, Fused B(+), and the PCI bus. The fourth wire goes to a fused 12v source (I took mine to the fuse box). More info can be found by clicking the link in the first post way back on page one.

Last edited:

ObiHann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silly question but my 02 KJ came with a OTIS, but I know the EVIC has soo many more options, is it possible to replace my OTIS with a EVIC, and if so, will any of these features actually work, or will they just be for looks since my vehicle never came with them?

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ObiHann,

EVIC from an 02 or 03 should just plug up. All you actually need to change is the trip computer portion. 04 and new EVIC may not read temperature.

Last edited:

benstudley

Reaction score
EVIC install tomorrow!

I got my EVIC on eBay a couple weeks ago. It is an 06 and will be going in a 2005 Renegade. Thank god for this thread! I will post installation pictures after I am done.

Here are all of the part numbers for my install:
EVIC - 56010520AE (from eBay)

I got the mounting bracket and wiring pigtail from www.moparpartsamerica.com
The part numbers are:
Wiring Harness: 5183472AA This came with the plug and 6 wires.
Mounting Bracket: 5072348AA

I plan on using tap splices to splice into the data connector under the steering wheel. Then I'm going to use one of those add a fuse kits to get the power on ignition.

(I know this information is all elsewhere, but I thought I'd go ahead and combine it in case someone comes to the end of this thread.)

Thanks everyone for the info!

benstudley

Reaction score
That is an interesting find. It looks to be only $10. Do you actually have this part in hand and it is correct?

Someone actually posted the part # a few pages back (along with the pinouts) but no one seemed to comment on it or mention it again. I found it and saw it was only 10 bux so I figured I'd order it. If it wasn't the right one, I wouldn't be out that much.

I received the part last week and it is indeed the correct part. It comes with 6 white wires and the plug. You only need to attach the 4. I have a picture, but it's at home. I'll post it when I finish (start) the install.

benstudley

Reaction score
Well... I'm all done installing. Here are some pictures of the process. The hardest parts were cutting the headliner (afraid I'd cut too much!) and gluing the mounting bracket to the roof.

I used tap splices to splice into the wires for the Datalink Connector. For the power, I used an add-a-fuse kit to add to the 13th cavity (I think.) I fired it up and it worked perfectly. Temperature was accurate right off as well as the compass.

I had to run to the auto store to find a lightbulb because my EVIC was missing one. Once I did that, I popped it right in and everything worked beautifully.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_2382.jpg
    IMG_2382.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2404.jpg