HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you get yours at harold ziegler? thats where i went and it was like 7 bucks

MoparPartsGuy

Reaction score
Nope. I work in the parts dept at a local CDJ dealer. Been lurking here for a long time, just saw an opportunity to help.

Michel_KJ

Reaction score
Hi, today I installed an evic in my 2002 KJ sport. It`s a 56042273ab from a grand cherokee 1999/2000.
But there is a little problem, it shows "hood open" and a blinking carfigure.

Did I something wrong or do I miss a hood switch ?

Best Regards,

Michel
The Netherlands

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems the modules are programed by the vehicle they were initially in. I had one from a two door. All it showed was a passenger door open when the rear doors or rf door was open.

The 5601 I installed shows everything by itself. I wonder if it will show the hood?

Michel_KJ

Reaction score
Hi, today I installed an evic in my 2002 KJ sport. It`s a 56042273ab from a grand cherokee 1999/2000.
But there is a little problem, it shows "hood open" and a blinking carfigure.

Did I something wrong or do I miss a hood switch ?

Solved the problem, there was a short circuit in the hood switch.

Thanks for your input !

Michel.

rallycom

Reaction score
I'm confused!

First time posting (I did read all the posts in this thread, but did not memorize them) so here we go.
I have a EVIC from a 2004 GC and would like to install it in my 2006 Liberty Sport. My confusion comes from the bracket (retainer/Mounting Bracket: 5072348AA), which one do I get one for the '06 liberty (on backorder till the end of september when they will release 36 of them of which 3 are spoken for) or something for an '04 GC which no retainer is listed.

If anyone needs or wants the 2006 Jeep Liberty service manual and parts manual on DVD (.pdf), I'll be happy send it to you if you supply the SASE.

I have a question about LED lighting but I'm sure that's in another thread.

Thanks
Rich

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random question, but I know that for my 06 KJ to have the temp sensor work I need a EVIC from an 05-06, but what if I get a temp sensor from an earlier year, then would it work with a earlier year OTIS or EVIC?

rallycom

Reaction score
Don't think so

Random question, but I know that for my 06 KJ to have the temp sensor work I need a EVIC from an 05-06, but what if I get a temp sensor from an earlier year, then would it work with a earlier year OTIS or EVIC?

From what I can gather the temp info is delivered from a different module from '05 on up.

So the short answer is no.

I just finished my install on my '06 Liberty Sport.

I got an EVIC from LKQ ($75. plus $10 shipping) out an '06 Liberty .......it works great.

I have an EVIC with (all three connectors & pigtails) Homelink, TPMS, & sunroof controls for sale $35. shipped (lower 48), it is from a 2004 Jeep GC & works fine.

Anyone interested please PM me or e-mail if my address is listed there.

I just needed to have the temp readout!

Good luck the only advice I will offer is cut spareingly on the headliner.....you can always cut a little more.....but it's real hard to get it back if you cut to much

Rich
aka Rallycom

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to do this today, well I really hadn't decided until I went to my local Pick-n-Pull and they had a WJ with an EVIC in it... I got it and the pigtail for $10.00 so I couldn't say no....

Thanks to this thread it was a very easy install but I have noticed that the only "doors open" telltales that work are the Left Rear, Right Rear and tailgate. Neither front doors or the flipper glass work... Is there something that I can do to make them work or am I just SOL??

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to do this today, well I really hadn't decided until I went to my local Pick-n-Pull and they had a WJ with an EVIC in it... I got it and the pigtail for $10.00 so I couldn't say no....

Thanks to this thread it was a very easy install but I have noticed that the only "doors open" telltales that work are the Left Rear, Right Rear and tailgate. Neither front doors or the flipper glass work... Is there something that I can do to make them work or am I just SOL??

I did my EVIC install using an '02 Chrysler 300M console on my '03 Renegade and mine is just the opposite. It shows the front doors open but doesn't show the back doors. Everything else works great (even have TPMS but no sensors yet - no big deal as it just tells me to service the system on startup and then goes away.)

I'm wondering if the dealer can flash the BCM to tell the EVIC which vehicle it is now installed in? Seems like I read that somewhere here in the 300+ posts to this thread. :freak3:

Anyone try that fix? Did your dealer do it reasonably? Should I shut up and just drive...?

BTW, I evidently got one of the rare EVICs that has TPMS, HomeLink AND instant MPGs. I gotta say it's pretty sweet - and I scored this EVIC for just $30 including shipping off eBay! :party36:

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my EVIC install using an '02 Chrysler 300M console on my '03 Renegade and mine is just the opposite. It shows the front doors open but doesn't show the back doors. Everything else works great (even have TPMS but no sensors yet - no big deal as it just tells me to service the system on startup and then goes away.)

I'm wondering if the dealer can flash the BCM to tell the EVIC which vehicle it is now installed in? Seems like I read that somewhere here in the 300+ posts to this thread. :freak3:

Anyone try that fix? Did your dealer do it reasonably? Should I shut up and just drive...?

BTW, I evidently got one of the rare EVICs that has TPMS, HomeLink AND instant MPGs. I gotta say it's pretty sweet - and I scored this EVIC for just $30 including shipping off eBay! :party36:

Mine is also from a 300M, also with homelink, TPMS, and instant MPG. Installed in an '02 Liberty. It shows either driver door or everything else.

I read that the dealer can set various options, but I had zero luck in Atlanta getting a service tech to even look at it. This was after trying three dealerships. The last one kept arguing that there was no way my EVIC would work at all, let alone with TPMS. Showing him that it was, in fact, working didn't stop him, either. I just gave up.

peej20

Reaction score
Did my best to thoroughly read thru all 32 pages and then I pulled the trigger on an EVIC from ebay last weekend. It shows up today and turns out to be from an '04 KJ with homelink and a sunroof switch... which is what I wanted. The bad news is that it also has TPMS... which is what I did not want.

Can anyone help me with some EVIC part numbers that will work in an '06 KJ with or without homelink but definitely no TPMS

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my best to thoroughly read thru all 32 pages and then I pulled the trigger on an EVIC from ebay last weekend. It shows up today and turns out to be from an '04 KJ with homelink and a sunroof switch... which is what I wanted. The bad news is that it also has TPMS... which is what I did not want.

Can anyone help me with some EVIC part numbers that will work in an '06 KJ with or without homelink but definitely no TPMS

The TPMS really isn't a problem. The first few times you start the engine it will come up with some random PSI readings for the sensors that aren't there. Then it will just beep a couple of times about 30 seconds after you start the engine - just push the compass/temp button (or whatever you like it set on for normal driving) and off you go.

The TPMS doesn't create any additional problems or get in the way. Just ignore it and enjoy the new EVIC. :party52:

Bob

Last edited:

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TPMS really isn't a problem. The first few times your start the car it will come up with some random PSI readings for the sensors that aren't there. Then it will just beep a couple of times about 30 seconds after you start the engine - just push the compass/temp button (or whatever you like it set on for normal driving) and off you go.

The TPMS doesn't create any additional problems or get in the way. Just ignore it and enjoy the new EVIC. :party52:

Bob

Or get 5 working TPMS sensors, a reset magnet and have them installed. I like the pressure monitoring.
Lewis