HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I have my EVIC powered up correctly....... I need those pesky tire sensors. All five of them. Either that or get the spare turned off.

Lets see...

Temp - chk
compass - chk
lf door - chk
rf door - chk
lr door - chk
rr door - chk
rear glass - chk
swing door - chk
low washer - chk
tires (all five) - chk
avg mpg - chk
mtg - chk
trip - chk
elapsed time - chk
low fuel - chk
chimes its **** off - chk

dh010447

Reaction score
Got in installed... What a pain in the ass the wiring was too!

Temperature sensor was not the correct one - so I get the 'Open Circuit' message.

Everything else seems to work - connected the ignition live to the cigarette lighter socket.

I went to the junkyard and got another pigtail, this time with about 6 foot of cable, which JUST seemed to be enough. I would reccomend a little more for anyone doing this.

I have a spare pigtail and the plastic retainer left over... If anyone need either of these - let me know. You can have them for free - just cover the postage.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally managed to find the correct EVIC for my Libby. Yesterday I visited a salvage yard and discovered an 04 Liberty Limited with an intact EVIC. I was some pleased when I plugged it into my Libby's EVIC harness and the temperature display popped up :D You see I've already installed an EVIC in my Libby but it's from an 03 and won't display temperatures on an 04.

So on my way home yesterday I was able to easily watch the exterior temperature rise & fall as I drove down the highway. Quite a difference in temps, maybe I'll be able to predict Black ice.

Now, what to do with all of the other EVIC's/OTIS's? I've managed to collect about three extra ones looking for the 04 model :eek:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happen to have any temp sensors laying about??

Sorry, I don't have any of those but if you visit your local wrecking yard you just might be lucky enough to find an intact one.

Don't all Liberty's have that sensor? Isn't it required by the BCM for fuel mixture control?
My 04 Liberty Sport had one and it didn't come from the factory with the EVIC.

STINGN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OTIS problems are:
1. chimes every time I hit a button on it
2. is constantly on
3. temperature works and sometimes does not work

what I am really looking for is to get the chiming to go away and for it to turn off when the vehicle is not on. Thanks

and when i plug it into my radio power source, it does not turn on with ignition, the lights do not turn on when I want them too and it chimes when i hit the garage door buttons...and it also says "no buS"

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stingn,

so what is / is not working now.

"No Bus" means it is not talking to the BCM. Could be a couple things with this. Bad OTIS or the wrong one. Did not connect to the PCI bus....

The temp I cannot help with.

If you are talking about the overhead lights. Did you swap a wire in the connector. If not there is one that needs to be moved to get them to function properly.

Not turning off, is the switched hot being connected to a constant hot.

STINGN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i plug it into the fuse box for constant 12 v, it works fine...but to a ignition, it says ''no buS"

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Great write up just installed an evic from a gc in my 02 kj i used the two power outlets in the bottom of the radio bezel for the switched(cig lighter) and constant(power outlet) and ground. works great.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an otis from a 01 300M from the junk yard, would this hook up in my 06? I think that the temp sensor would not work, but other then that will it work??
Thanks!

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I read last summer on here that in 2004 they deleted the instant MPG from the EVIC, but in my 03 I dont have it. is there a way to get it added in a software update?

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Looking for some help! I have a EVIC out of a 01 300M Model 56042749AC but I cant seem to get anything to display on it. Wondering if there is a way to bench test the EVIC? Where have others typically hooked up constant power to your blue/white wire? Any help would be appreciated. By the way I have taken some advice to splice together pci (pink wire) and Power (blue/white) together without success.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Well now had I just shut up and taken the time to fully read this thread I would have found my answer. Ok well any and all beatings are expected and deserved!!!

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
OK Installed and working well now I just need to go snatch an Ambient Temp Sensor!

Attachments

• SDC11185.jpg
    SDC11185.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 50

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Check your parts stores...They got them for about 30 buckes! If you cant get one of of a wrecked KJ!

MoparPartsGuy

Reaction score
Ambient sensors are CHEAP at the dealer!

Just wanted to let you guys know that the old sensor (56042395, $32.30 retail) has been superseded to a new sensor (5149025AA) that retails for $8.75. Hardly worth looking for a used one at that price....