HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe some have had success making their own harnesses out of floppy-drive power connectors. If it works, it could cheapen the whole process a lot.

Molf

Reaction score
Anyone want to offer a stab at this one.

I am installing an evic from a 04 gc into my 04 kj. I have ran all the wires and spliced into the obd ones and ran an add a fuse to slot 13 in the fuse box. When i plug in the evic and turn it on nothing.

After some toying around and I found that if i turn the ignition on with the evic unplugged and the add a fuse in place, then unplug the fuse and replug it in and then plug in the evic it works. But as soon as i turn the ignition off I have to start the process all over again, as just turning the ignition on will do nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also has anyone experienced their 04 not coming with the the ambient temperature sensor (from reading these pages i gathered it was standard)?

Thanks in advance.

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what was happening to my evic...had all the wires together fuse in #13 and no power didn't even try to kick on....I just pulled all my wires back off and said screw it for the time...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to offer a stab at this one.

I am installing an evic from a 04 gc into my 04 kj. I have ran all the wires and spliced into the obd ones and ran an add a fuse to slot 13 in the fuse box. When i plug in the evic and turn it on nothing.

After some toying around and I found that if i turn the ignition on with the evic unplugged and the add a fuse in place, then unplug the fuse and replug it in and then plug in the evic it works. But as soon as i turn the ignition off I have to start the process all over again, as just turning the ignition on will do nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also has anyone experienced their 04 not coming with the the ambient temperature sensor (from reading these pages i gathered it was standard)?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have the switched B+ and constant B+ lines swapped around. When i was playing around with it on the workbench before installing i found if i applied power to the switched B+ wire before the fused B+ wire then it wouldn't come on. But if i applied power to the fused B+ line first and then applied power to the switched B+ line then it came on.

Its how the switching works in the display unit.

Last edited:

Molf

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the switched B+ and constant B+ lines swapped around. When i was playing around with it on the workbench before installing i found if i applied power to the switched B+ wire before the fused B+ wire then it wouldn't come on. But if i applied power to the fused B+ line first and then applied power to the switched B+ line then it came on.

Its how the switching works in the display unit.

Hmm I checked the wires and I have the blue/white wire going to fuse 13.

But from what your saying, i am wondering if it is because where i am getting the power from.

Last edited:

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got mine installed yesterday. Just need to find a 5601 series for the temp.

Although I do like the instant mpg read out.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just ordered an OTIS off of ebay...from the pics it looks like it has the plug, so hopefully i'm good there. i'm not 100% sure the temp is going to work, as it appears to be from an '03 Concorde, but looking at the part #, it is one revision off from an '04 that was also on Ebay, but that one didn't have the harness.

anyone know anything about the OTIS PN's? the one i ordered is 04760145BH, but the one from the '04 is 04760145BI. it's apparent that the '04 is a newer part # (ends with I, not H) but does anyone know the diff's between the different PN's? (the wj forum only lists the EVICS)

thanks

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help with the OTIS.

Doing some digging on the EVIC though. (from the KJ books)

2003 - 56010349AB and 56010351AB
2004 - 56010438AC, 56010438AD and 56010437AA
2005 - 56010520AD and 56010527AD
2006 - repeat of the 2005 numbers

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just ordered an OTIS off of ebay...from the pics it looks like it has the plug, so hopefully i'm good there. i'm not 100% sure the temp is going to work, as it appears to be from an '03 Concorde, but looking at the part #, it is one revision off from an '04 that was also on Ebay, but that one didn't have the harness.

anyone know anything about the OTIS PN's? the one i ordered is 04760145BH, but the one from the '04 is 04760145BI. it's apparent that the '04 is a newer part # (ends with I, not H) but does anyone know the diff's between the different PN's? (the wj forum only lists the EVICS)

thanks

Unfortunately it appears nobody has a total breakdown of the OTIS numbers, at least not that i can find. Best thing i can is try it and find out, worst case you got the harness from it to install and you can swap out the unit and resell the OTIS if it doesn't work and keep the harness.

You could also get an EVIC as the harness plug is the same.

Rob

Reaction score
Just got an 03 liberty and I'm going to add an evic from an 02 grand cherokee. The only thing I'm uneasy about is cutting the wires for my obd data connector. I found these at radioshack...

You must be registered for see images attach

Would this be an effective way to tap into those wires?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got an 03 liberty and I'm going to add an evic from an 02 grand cherokee. The only thing I'm uneasy about is cutting the wires for my obd data connector. I found these at radioshack...

You must be registered for see images attach

Would this be an effective way to tap into those wires?

They work... But they aren't very reliable. After a while they will loosen up and become intermittent. Plus where it pinches the wire your tapping into it can eventually break that wire with the daily movement of stuff from driving over bumps and such.

You don't have to cut the wires to make a good connection, you can strip off a bit of insulation and wrap the new wire around the bare spot then solder them together. However without cutting you can't slide over a piece of heatshrink tubing for example unless you remove the wire end from the connector shell... But there is ways around that too. You can try some liquid electrical tape and then wrap everything up with electrical tape after that dries. The nice thing is those connections are in the interior so weather exposure isn't as bad as if you were making an underhood our outside connection.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it appears nobody has a total breakdown of the OTIS numbers, at least not that i can find. Best thing i can is try it and find out, worst case you got the harness from it to install and you can swap out the unit and resell the OTIS if it doesn't work and keep the harness.

You could also get an EVIC as the harness plug is the same.

Thanks. That was the plan...if this doesn't work at least I have the right trim I need (the trim code matches mine.) Worst case I guess I could sell this unit and buy a new one. I'll keep everyone posted.

Rob

Reaction score
I'm planning on tapping the cigarette lighter + wire for the fused ignition switch. Is the existing 20 amp fuse enough or do I need to add an inline fuse for the evic?

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on tapping the cigarette lighter + wire for the fused ignition switch. Is the existing 20 amp fuse enough or do I need to add an inline fuse for the evic?

The cig lighter is always on, so that wouldnt work for the ignition switched, it would work for the always on B+ lead though.

I would fuse it, the EVIC doesn't need that kind of amperage.

Rob

Reaction score
The cig lighter is always on, so that wouldnt work for the ignition switched, it would work for the always on B+ lead though.

I would fuse it, the EVIC doesn't need that kind of amperage.

When my cell phone charger is plugged in to the front cigarette lighter it turns on and off with the ignition. I've heard that the front lighter is only on all the time if you have the smoker's package. But anyway what are some other good candidates for the fused ignition switch?

goob2k

Reaction score
When my cell phone charger is plugged in to the front cigarette lighter it turns on and off with the ignition. I've heard that the front lighter is only on all the time if you have the smoker's package. But anyway what are some other good candidates for the fused ignition switch?
I got one of those add-a-fuse gizmos that splits a circuit (I think it was talked about earlier in the thread). I plugged it into the spot for the BCM (I think it is #13 on the interior fuse panel). For the new circuit that went to the EVIC, I used a 2 Amp fuse since it was the smallest rated fuse that Autozone had.

Rob

Reaction score
I got one of those add-a-fuse gizmos that splits a circuit (I think it was talked about earlier in the thread). I plugged it into the spot for the BCM (I think it is #13 on the interior fuse panel). For the new circuit that went to the EVIC, I used a 2 Amp fuse since it was the smallest rated fuse that Autozone had.

ok, thanks I'll try that.

Last edited:

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 06 Sport, I found a two wire connector taped to the column harness. It has has a switched hot in it. I used that since all the other wires were drug over to the OBD port. This has worked flawlessly for me.