HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goob2k

Reaction score
One with sunroof controls will work fine. You'll just have the sunroof buttons but they won't be connected to anything. You could always find a non-sunroof housing later and you could put the 07 EVIC module into that one if the non-functional sunroof controls bugged you.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your rig is not already equipped with Evic be sure to get the bracket and the wiring, get as much of it as you can. If you can take the whole thing out even better.

It wouldn't hurt if you could be present and see the process yourself.
This way you can have a rough picture of that goes where when it comes to wiring.

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok just to make 100% sure on my evic wiring before I connect and kind of power to anything...
I have 4 wires...On the evic they should correspond: Or do I have them backward from this link??? I get connfused on wiring easily...http://www.wjjeeps.com/evic_wiring.jpg
Pin 2 is blue in my pic. (Going from the pic this is pin 5)
Pin 3 is black (Going from the pic this is pin 4)
Pin 4 is red and last but not least (Going from the pic this is pin 3)
Pin 5 is purple... (Going from the pic this is pin 2)
I'm holding the plug almost like itll be put in the Evic module aside from the 90* tilt I have it on...The little keeper is facing down as it should...
You must be registered for see images

EDIT:...From what I'm lookin at I got all my wires backwards from what they should be correct I found another pic link here... http://www.wjjeeps.com/evic_wiring_6.jpg

From what I gathered My Blue wire will be fused in the fuse box... (Going from the pic will go to #2 PCI Bus)
My Black wire will go to the obd-II port pin 4 which will be a ground... (Going from the pic will go to #16 Hot Wire)
My Red wire will go to the OBD-II port pin 16 which will be 12+(hot wire) (Going from the pic will go to #4 Ground)
My Purple wire will go to the OBD-II port pin 2 which should be PCI Bus... (Going from the pic will go to fused line )

Just tell me (color) to pin x lol...Once I know the exact way I will edit my post to have everything as it should be...

I already spliced my wiring and got it ready...BTW I accidentally touched the #16 hot wire to ground and made a slight spark....If anything it should have blown fuse 32 or 33...One of the is the data link connector...I checked them both out they are fine....

Also how in the hell do you get the wires out of the obd-II connector?Like this pic it looks like he managed....http://www.chrispitude.net/view.php...IMG_1570.jpg&dispsize=1024&picindex=11&size=2

Thats my biggest problem I do not want to cut any wires....Id rather tap into them and put heat shrink on them properly.....

Last edited:

goob2k

Reaction score
For those of you that had to add the bracket, what sort of adhesive did you use? I used some heavy duty double-stick tape but I guess it wasn't heavy-duty enough and one section came loose. Any suggestions?

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 3m double sided tape...The grey stuff with one side having a red pull-off backing...
Instead of only having 1 layer I made 2 layers...2 layers makes it much thicker and I believe it doeshold better...With only 1 layer it doesnt seem like it held well thus adding the 2nd layer...

goob2k

Reaction score
Hmm, I might try that. The section towards the windshield is holding fine, but the section towards the back is what came loose.

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first put 1 layer on the front easily pulled off and the back came off with a slight tug....now with 2 layers....I'm afraid to pull it too hard and break it how well it holds...

The 3m grey double sided tape is the kind used on ventshades to hold them too the vehicle...Driving down the road 80+ and they dont fly off....pretty strong stuff....

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any clue....I just went out to my jeep and put the wires on both ways in my above post...WTF is going on...this is BS I cant get it to work...and I know it does work...

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any clue....I just went out to my jeep and put the wires on both ways in my above post...WTF is going on...this is BS I cant get it to work...and I know it does work...

Any luck? It's been two years for me (so I can't remember specifics), but I can take a crack at thinking through this if you're still not getting anywhere.

cdnjeepin

Reaction score
Parts came in today..had to wait a few extra days for them to pull everything I asked for and offered him $25 extra if he would do it. So for 135 cdn after tax and shipping I got this:

Mount: Looks like part #05072348AA

Evic: Part #56010520AE

And what I paid the extra $25 for:

Complete wiring harness, nothing cut off, all plugs still there.

Hoping the harness makes it super easy to install..Harness came out of an 07 and ours is an 07 too, so it should go smoothly

Last edited:

cdnjeepin

Reaction score
Well what turned out to be the start of good installed took a turn towards disaster.

Got all the wiring run, everything set and then marked the headliner and cut it. But I could not get the bracket in at all, no way was it going in, so I made the hole just big enough to shimmy the bracket in and got up there. Only to find out there is a huge Styrofoam wall in the headliner, which looks like the bracket rest against and sure enough it does. Major problem is the bracket sits about 1/2" lower then the head liner, tried to shim it up to the liner, but it still doesn't work, and with having to cut the hole just big enough for the bracket to fit, the evic doesn't cover the cut...

What a terrible night..looks like i need to go order a new headliner today...yikes

goob2k

Reaction score
You're supposed to remove the A pillar covers and the sun visors. That will give you enough room to slide the bracket above the headliner.

cdnjeepin

Reaction score
wish i knew that now..oh well..got the headliner from the same jeep i got the evic from for 75 bucks..gonna be a pain in the ass to change it tho

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Wiring harness part number I found 2 numbers from the 05 parts manuel....

04760644 and 05166454AA

I'm not sure what is what