HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the part number for the Ambient Air Temp sensor that feeds the EVIC info?? I took the grill off my 03' today and the wiring plug is there so i should be good to go on fitting an EVIC but i have to find the sensor.

I got a possible line on a cheap used EVIC so i'm part of the way done.

02-03 sensors are cheap and easy to find at salvage yards. Try, 56042395

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not around here unfortunately, i have to drive two hours to find a yard that has even one Liberty in the yard. But maybe i can cross reference it with that part number now!

Thanks!

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought one on ebay without the pigtail harness(i figured it would have one), but i went to all the local junkyards and dealers and no one had the harness or the temperature sensor, so i went to a computer store and got a hard drive harness and made it work, then i called a dealer that was 30 minutes away and he sold me a brand new air temp sensor for 2 bucks!. the only problem i have left is to install it :confused:

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought one on ebay without the pigtail harness(i figured it would have one), but i went to all the local junkyards and dealers and no one had the harness or the temperature sensor, so i went to a computer store and got a hard drive harness and made it work, then i called a dealer that was 30 minutes away and he sold me a brand new air temp sensor for 2 bucks!. the only problem i have left is to install it :confused:

could you buy another one for me? :D

delearship here made me a real steep prixe for the sensor and autozone hasn't responded to my order yet.....

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got mine all installed but now none of the programing features will work and the low fuel and the doors open will not display on the evic. anyone know what i should or if there is a way to get my bcm to sync with the evic or even a master reset?

05Sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a wiring issue. I would just double check. I did mine with no hassles. Although i got OCD and rechecked the wiring a million times. LOL

05Sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could you buy another one for me? :D

delearship here made me a real steep prixe for the sensor and autozone hasn't responded to my order yet.....

I just grabbed 8 feet (just so i had enough and could shorten later) of four different colored wire and quick connected them. Saved a few bucks and it worked flawlessly. Just an idea.

goob2k

Reaction score
Finally got my EVIC installed tonight. I got lucky and found a 2006 EVIC off car-part.com (my KJ is a 2006). I had an EVIC from a 2004 but it had TPMS which I didn't want to fool with. I also had a 2005 EVIC that worked great but lacked sunroof controls and swapping the housing with the 2004 wouldn't work because the sunroof connector changed sometime after 2004. I spliced into the OBD connector and used an add-a-fuse kit for power. All I need to do now is find a screw for the hole towards the front of the unit, although it really isn't needed.

redkj

Reaction score
Finally got my EVIC installed tonight. I got lucky and found a 2006 EVIC off car-part.com (my KJ is a 2006). I had an EVIC from a 2004 but it had TPMS which I didn't want to fool with. I also had a 2005 EVIC that worked great but lacked sunroof controls and swapping the housing with the 2004 wouldn't work because the sunroof connector changed sometime after 2004. I spliced into the OBD connector and used an add-a-fuse kit for power. All I need to do now is find a screw for the hole towards the front of the unit, although it really isn't needed.

If you just sold that 2005 on ebay, then I just bought it and it's a small world!

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a GC evic from an other member the unit is one of the "rare" 03 with HOME LINK & TPMS (#56042756AG)
I read though all 22 pages an the only thing mentioned was that the ambient temp would not work. I was willing to sacrifice the temp for the instant MPG

Finding out that the instant MPG feature is not working.. was a BIG disappointment...

Any ideas?

Has anybody done a swap/install of a 03' Evic and had the instant MPG work?
Mine constantly reads 99 Lit/100 Km

Michalis

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd that it doesn't work. I have an EVIC from a 03 Cherokee that has Homelink & the TPM features that I have tried in my 04 Liberty. I believe the MPG feature works but I haven't tried it recently. I don't use it because I don't happen to have the TPM valve stems. Did you try driving any distance with your EVIC installed? By default the MPG would display 99 L/100 Km.

I'll see if I can try out my 03 EVIC later this week to see if the MPG feature works.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question, i scanned the posts quick but didn't see the answer i was looking for....

I know that if you have an 04 or later model year then you need an 04 or later model year EVIC/OTIS, but if you took an 04 model year EVIC/OTIS and put it on say my 03 would it be backwards compatible and the temp display would still work??

Seems to me they changed something in 04 so the older overhead consoles can't read the temp, but that should also mean the new overhead consoles can't read the temp from the older vehicles right??

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can try out my 03 EVIC later this week to see if the MPG feature works.

Have been driving arround with the )3 evic for a week and it's not going to happen...:(

I know that if you have an 04 or later model year then you need an 04 or later model year EVIC/OTIS, but if you took an 04 model year EVIC/OTIS and put it on say my 03 would it be backwards compatible and the temp display would still work???

I don't think it is backwards compatible either.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been driving arround with the )3 evic for a week and it's not going to happen...:(

I don't think it is backwards compatible either.

Ok, thanks. That's what it's looking like, the 2004 model year of the computer is different in how it handles the temp sensor addressing for the EVIC/OTIS.

Had to ask because i have seen about a half dozen 2004 EVIC's on eBay, there is 3-4 of them on there right now, but i have to find an older one for 03' and earlier, and it's becoming a scavenger hunt to find one with the features i want.

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to possibly trade their EVIC system for mine? 04+Liberty

I have the sunroof controls, homelink, and TPMS

Would like to trade for one without TPMS

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to install my evic in my jeep today....I connected all the wires correctly and I still get no power at all...Not sure why...

also the 02-04 evics are different wiring wise than the 05+ evics...I go to hook up my sunroof and the plug assembly is different than my 05....

Also another problem I had was with the doors shut and everything off I connect the lights in the evic and they stay on constantly???

cdnjeepin

Reaction score
Quick question.. Salvage yard here has an 07 Liberty with the overhead console but it has power sunroof controls in it. I have an 07 Liberty Sport, no sunroof, and want to put the EVIC in

Is this one any good? or do I need one with out sunroof controls?