HOW TO: Front Bumper Mounted Driving Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching and finding a how to for this, but didn't have much luck. I found a few different threads with various tips and suggestions from people who have done this before. I was able to do this myself and decided to do a write up so that there would be a complete how to.

This is for the 02-04 KJ's

To start with, you will need to collect some tools.

You will need:
  • Socket Set
  • Drill/Drill Bits
  • Pliers/Wire Cutters/Wire working tools
  • Box Cutter and Dremel

These are what I used, but you may find that you don't need some of these, or you need things that I haven't listed.

To get started, I ran the wiring first. Here is how I did it:

I ran the wires for the switch through this hole in the engine bay (located near the ECU) and into the fender.

You must be registered for see images attach

From there, I ran it under the hood arm, and into the door jam.

Once I got it through the little foam piece, I ran it behind the door seal (instead of over, so that the seal isn't compromised and I don't risk any leaks) and into the fuse panel. I chose to run the wires through here because I couldn't find a hole in the fire wall, and didn't want to try to drill one. I also know that most people won't pay much attention to this area, so I figured that it would be a smart way to save time and work.

I ran the ground wire down behind the panel that covers the hood release latch (which pops off easily) and grounded it to an existing ground.

I mounted my switch on this panel, which is also easily removed. On the back side of this panel you will see where the plastic has been shaped to hold the factory switch for the Renegade roof lights. I cut the area inside this molded plastic with a dremel and a box cutter and slid my switch in. It made it a clean mount and kept the switch in an easy-to-reach place. I found it funny that when the factory printed "ON" on the switch, it was printed backwards, reading "NO" instead. (And no, I didn't put the switch in upside down, I checked that).

That's the basics for the wiring. Routing and oncealing the wiring that runs to the lights is a no-brainer and I'll leave that up to your preferences.

Now, when it comes to the mounting, this is what I did (the measurements were borrowed from another member here, whose name I don't recall now):

You will want to measure and mark 3 1/2" over from the rise in the bumper and 1" forward from the front edge of the grille.

Once you've marked this hole, get your drill and drill bit out and drill straight down through. You'll cut through the plastic fairly quickly and then you'll hit the metal of the bumper. Keep going. Once you punch through the metal you are good to go. Measure and drill the other side.

Now you'll need to slide your light brackets and lights into this hole, pushing the bolt all the way through. Have some one hold your light up straight so that you can get your bolt all the way through the hole.

Crawl under the front bumper and look straight up, where the tow hooks are mounted. If you have tow hooks, you may have to remove them. I don't, so I could access this hole easily. Using a socket and extension (6") thread your nut onto the bolt and tighten down.

Once you get them hooked up and tightened down, this is the finished result!

If you have any questions, PM me! Good luck to those of you who try this yourself!

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given time those wires will get cut from repeated closing from the door.

I thought about that too. But looking at the seal, it looks like the door doesn't make straight back contact (which would cut the wires) but more of a side ways contact. I may be wrong (and probably am). I appreciate your advice and will keep an eye out for this and begin brainstorming a solution! You are one whose opinion I respect on here! Perhaps I could notch the back side of the seal to create a groove and relieve pressure without compromising the seal? Or perhaps notching the Sheet metal?

Last edited:

chrisscadman

Reaction score
i want to install the HID lights on my car's bumper. Should i use the same way or will i be needing some extra gadgets to install those light? And what type of wire should i use for it?

Aaron2345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They won't get cut. I got lazy about 8 years ago and ran my now wife's power cable for her sound system the same way. It's fine. 8 years later not even a mark on it

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to install the HID lights on my car's bumper. Should i use the same way or will i be needing some extra gadgets to install those light? And what type of wire should i use for it?

I don't know anything about HID's. But ask around on the forums, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people concerning HID's. Good luck!

garyvr

Reaction score
Has anyone drilled into a 05 bumper? I want to install hella 500's.

PhantomKJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the How-To! I just got the exact same pair of driving lights in the mail today. I will be trying to install them some time this week. It seems pretty straight forward.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to be doing this tonight, where do you ground to? I think there are 2 or 3 ground wires, do i just drill those into any metal frame/body part?

forgive me, i know nothing about electrical & wiring, but this dosnt seem to difficult other than understanding where/how to ground.

im using the kc slimlights

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to use a relay...wiring lighting directly to a switch is setting the stage for a nice fire....

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the whole kit that comes with the wiring kit, i believe there are 2 separate relays in there. Where i put them is another question....

ocfc494

Reaction score
I just installed some windshield mounted lights on mine! trying to get a post up but im a new member so I have to wait...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I just installed some windshield mounted lights on mine! trying to get a post up but im a new member so I have to wait...

If you are having trouble with the pictures, keep in mind that they need to be hosted elsewhere, such as Photobucket or whatever. Looking forward to seeing what you did! :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
im going to be doing this tonight, where do you ground to? I think there are 2 or 3 ground wires, do i just drill those into any metal frame/body part?

forgive me, i know nothing about electrical & wiring, but this dosnt seem to difficult other than understanding where/how to ground.

im using the kc slimlights

No need to drill more holes, plenty of places already to bolt a ground wire down to. Find a bolt close and install the ground there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i got the whole kit that comes with the wiring kit, i believe there are 2 separate relays in there. Where i put them is another question....

I installed mine back on the firewall, made a small bracket to hold them all. Some get fancier in their way of doing them. Just bolt up out of the way somewhere

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent write-up!

There is also a spot in the firewall where you can sneak the wires through with some other stuff passing through. It has been a while, but I want to say it is below the master cylinder.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent write-up!

There is also a spot in the firewall where you can sneak the wires through with some other stuff passing through. It has been a while, but I want to say it is below the master cylinder.

only works on automatic... thats the clutch hole.

Latest posts

Members online