HOW TO: Flush/Change Coolant

Discussion in 'How To' started by BluPhant, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Redleg

Redleg New Member

2. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I tried an 8mm hex wrench - it fit, but the plug was so stuck that I was afraid of breaking the wrench. Sprayed it again with Blast'r, let it sit while I went to the local auto parts store for antifreeze. They recommended an 8mm hex socket (3/8" drive). Got back home, put it on a 12" breaker bar, applied some elbow grease, and the bleed plug cried uncle.

3. uss2defiant

uss2defiant Full Access Member

Hi all,

A few months ago, I just changed my coolant, WP, tank,and hoses.

I just noticed that I am getting coolant into the overflow side after turning the vehicle off. It got to a point where coolant flowed out of the vent hole at the top.

I changed the radiator cap and emptied the overflow side.

Drove about 40 minutes, came home, checked the tank before turning engine off and there no coolant in the overflow side. As soon as I shut the engine off, the overflow side started filling up. I let it cool for about 2 hours and the coolant was sucked back in to the pressurized side of the tank.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

Will be pressure testing my system later tonight.

Thank you in advance.

Update: I think my tank is bad. I hear something hissing. Must be a new pin hole leak since the jeep doesn't overheat.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  4. CWBenjamin

CWBenjamin Full Access Member

Why would they do something like that when a new fan is only 100 bucks??? Just get the new fan assembly and it will have a warranty. It could be causing your radiator fluid to spew out the overflow too.