HOW TO: Find a How-To not listed here & Forum Guidelines

Discussion in 'How To' started by Bennett, Dec 10, 2004.

1. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Really nothing to installing one
    Has it been cut yet ?
    Bracket on the rear diff is easy just remove old bracket and install new one
    Measure length you want the new arms and tighten the nuts down to that length
    Is the one you have new or used?

2. TorrentIV

TorrentIV A Leaf on the Wind KJ Supporting Member

Not sure what you mean by cut, haven't removed any brackets yet. I'm about another week from payday and want a new boomerang as the ball joint on this one is starting to go. Also got it used, came with an H piece, a straight bar, and 3 bolts with washers. Lastly are you saying to get a new diff bracket, or is the factory one good?

3. tommudd

Sorry to confuse, thought you had bought a JBA bolt on , but you just have the extender
    well remove old bracket , can leave it attached to the tri-link
    set the extension up in place , then set your pinion angle , determine how many washers you need between the new bracket and the OE one
    you want the center line of the transfer case and the center line of the rear diff parallel to each other

4. TorrentIV

Roger, gotta find my mini level. I saw it about a year ago...

5. tommudd

Eye ball it, that is the way I did them all ;)

6. profdlp

profdlp On The Ledge

^ Tom would be the expert, but I know from what I've read here that every install needs a little custom tweaking with the washers to get the angle just right. Lot's of variable and every Jeep is slightly different.

Did yours come with instructions? I have a brand new one out in the garage which (I think) has the instruction manual. As I recall, they pretty much say the same thing about experimenting with the washers to get the angle set.

7. TorrentIV

It looks like it's easy, but I want to be 100 percent on it, it's my baby after all :). And no instructions with it, got it used from another kj owner who was upgrading his ride so anything you have would be great

8. DispatchMinion

DispatchMinion New Member

looking for a guide on how to center my steering wheel. 2007 Liberty. It is off-center by 1-2 degrees to the right

9. lfhoward

lfhoward Full Access Member

The steering wheel can be a little off if your rear suspension is slightly tweaked. In other words, if you have to have the wheel turned to drive straight, you could be dog-legging it down the highway. Check the rear control arms, bushings, the tri-link, etc. for play. There was a recall on KJ control arms a while back for people in the snow belt, if I remember correctly.

If the steering wheel is like the one on my KK, it only fits on the steering shaft one way, so you can’t just remove it and put it back on straight.

10. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

The older KJs such as my 2002 Export CRD have a spline at the top of the steering column so that it is possible to move the wheel position slightly.
    I believe on the newer KJs the steering wheel can only fit on in one position....you may have to have the alignment checked or possibly you can rotate the column slightly at the lower end where it goes into the steering rack.
    Do not mess with the top of the steering column without first disconnecting the battery terminals and clamping them together for at least 20 minutes so that the airbags do not go off!;)