HOW TO: Change Spark-Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now I have to chime in, lol. The best plugs are usually the ones that came with the car from the factory. That being said, Champions are crap, period. NGK are overpriced. Denso are really good parts. (Toyota almost exclusively uses Denso, enough said). I've been using Autolites lately and have no complaints about these either. But again, whatever came with the car will probably be the best bet. I put Autolite single platinums in and love them so far. Idle smoothed out a lot.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So now I have to chime in, lol. The best plugs are usually the ones that came with the car from the factory. That being said, Champions are crap, period. NGK are overpriced. Denso are really good parts. (Toyota almost exclusively uses Denso, enough said). I've been using Autolites lately and have no complaints about these either. But again, whatever came with the car will probably be the best bet. I put Autolite single platinums in and love them so far. Idle smoothed out a lot.

NGKs are over priced ???? LOL
Plus you used platinums which you shouldn't have
Never have had any issues with Champions at all , used them, and NGKs
Installed NGKs in the 03 when I bought it, they were cheap for the coppers ( and the correct plug for the KJ) I removed a set of junk Plats from it which looked fairly new and no more rough idle when sitting at a light

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bent electrode is not a good sign. Unless someone dropped the plug, and installed it with out looking at it first. Was driving my Astro van once, and it stalled on me. When restarted, it barely ran. Had to drive it home with both feet, to keep it from stalling at stop signs and red lights. It just so happens, I was going to change the spark plugs the next day. And I found one plug, with the electrode, bent way off to the side. After replacing all the plugs. It ran fine, and drove it for 5 years. The only thing my mechanic could think of, was that a piece of carbon, came off inside the head, and got pushed into the spark plug. Perhaps that's what happened in your case. Otherwise, when my 02' KJ dropped a valve, I found 3 plugs with bent, smashed electrodes. I guess part of the broken valve, went through into the intake, and got into other cylinders as well.
The engine was trash, it kept running, but very rough, white smoke out the exhaust.
NEVER OVERHEAT THESE ENGINES! Or you will be very sorry. I learned a hard lesson!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGK coppers (what are speced for the Jeep) are like $1 per plug. How is that overpriced??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's the exact same thing I was thinking.

Well you know it all counts up very fast. That is 6 bucks everytime, at 30,000 miles. So by the time you've driven 120,000 miles that a whopping 24 bucks !!
VERY expensive :happy175:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^Lets see, should I get 6 NGK's for the Jeep or go to the doughnut shop for a dozen doughnuts and a cup of coffee.....?.........hmmmmmmm tough one. I think I will get the NGK's for the Jeep. They are cheaper than the doughnuts and won't make me fat......NGK's it is.....and the Jeep will run better too....:happy175:

Dave

ChuckVA

Reaction score
Boy was there a lot of detouring in the second half of this thread. Pages of debating copper vs. platinum plugs really don't help in a how-to article. I've been listening to guys debate copper vs. platinum for at least 25 years now. The debate is about as useful now as it was 25 years ago. Worth having ... but an absolute distraction in a how-to thread.

Back on topic ...

There is a commonly available, cheap spark plug socket that makes the passenger side plugs much easier. I'm very surprised to see no one using them. They make this job trivial. Sources:

- O'Reilly GM8556 (11" long - identical to mine)
- Pep Boys GH8556 (also identical to mine)
- Advance Auto TP80546 (a little short)
- Auto Zone 52-135 (same shorty)
- NAPA SER3930 (short, not reliably in stock)

The Advance, Auto Zone, and Napa shorties all appear to be a rebadged Gearwrench one, which is also available from Amazon cheaper than all the parts store rebrands.

These swivel sockets have a limited range of motion and put the swivel point much closer to the plug. Knock on wood, I've never broken a plug ceramic with one of these swivels. They give you just enough shift in angle to make life easy, but not so much wobble that the socket wants to twist off and break the plug.

The 11" version gives you a perfect, straight shot to every plug. The only thing I remove is the air intake tube and the dipsticks. No shifting the coolant reservoir, and no 2' crazy assembly of different extensions and multiple u-joints. I do throw one extra 3" extension on for #6 (the passenger rear), which is just enough to get the ratchet just above the coolant tank but below the cowl, where it's easy to work. If you end up with a shorty, throw an extra 6" regular extension on it and you will probably be fine for all six.

These also mostly have a centering spring in the swivel, so they want to straighten up, which makes it easier to use it to start the plugs as well.

I've been using these since I was messing with foxbody Mustangs 25 years ago - they are the only way to easily reach the back passenger plugs there past the HVAC equipment, unless you have two elbows per arm and hands the size of an infant's (but with a longshoreman's grip). Those are VERY tight in the engine bay, the Lib is just ridiculously friendly to work on by comparison.

The other place I see people struggling here is with the coil connectors. The main tip everyone might not be doing is to push the plug further onto the coil connector before you try to press the tab to release. That takes the pressure off the tab that makes it stick. Push, press tab, then pull. They come off much easier that way. (Overall, after working on both Jeeps and Fords for years, all the connectors on these beat the snot out of 90's Ford wiring. I'm getting spoiled with this thing.)

For the hard to reach #6 connector, if your hand is medium or smaller in gloves and you can slide it under the coolant tank, you can have it right off. Use a long flathead screwdriver to carefully press the release tab from the top. Takes seconds, so it's always worth trying this first. If you find your hands are too big, then maybe it's worth shifting the tank.

Hope some of that helps anyone who makes it down here after all the spark plug debating mess. Having the right tool on hand makes all the difference for this job.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
debating mess ?
Never knew there was one LOL
detouring ? Just good light hearted fun , break up the boredom when you have discussed something 49,827 times
I;ve been changing plugs on thousands of vehicles over the last 50 plus years, still use the same plug sockets with no issues , but I assume spending extra money is what the Zones want you to do isn't it ha ha

ChuckVA

Reaction score
Shoot, I'll never try to stop someone from doing something a harder way if they just like that way better, or find it more comfortable, or even just like bragging that they do things the hard way like a real man. Doesn't really matter to me. But I always figure most people who are reading a how to thread don't already have a preferred way to do the job, so might want to know if there's an easier way.

Besides, I don't think I've ever regretted having a tool. Regretted not having one, definitely, and there are definitely a few that didn't prove to be useful the way I expected. But, given enough years, even those find a use.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Shoot, I'll never try to stop someone from doing something a harder way if they just like that way better, or find it more comfortable, or even just like bragging that they do things the hard way like a real man. Doesn't really matter to me. But I always figure most people who are reading a how to thread don't already have a preferred way to do the job, so might want to know if there's an easier way.

Besides, I don't think I've ever regretted having a tool. Regretted not having one, definitely, and there are definitely a few that didn't prove to be useful the way I expected. But, given enough years, even those find a use.
Know full well about tools
Just found a Snap On 250 lb electronic torque wrench I bought about ten years ago, used a few times and forgot I had it
( no did not do the weekly pay here thing )
Have tools that I bought back in 69-70 that the youguns would never figure out what to use them for today LOL

and yes there are easier ways for sure
like the front diff R&R, Jeep calls for like 5 hours or some nonsense
can do it in way less than 1/2 that