How To: Change a Front CV Axle

Discussion in 'How To' started by twack, Apr 16, 2010.

1. lfhoward

lfhoward Full Access Member

Tom, how long do bearings typically last? I'm within a thousand miles of 170K now, and they are still all original. (knocking on wood as I type this... ;))

2. deltsigjames

deltsigjames New Member

Tom, I totally agree that you can run without CV's installed, assuming you have the correct hub bearing. After replacing this hub/bearing with Moog part number 513178, I am running without CV's right now. However, one Timken part number requires 100 Ft-lbs to axle nut torque to maintain proper preload on the bearing. Timken part number HA590458 requires you have 4wd. Without axle in place and proper torque, the bearing separates. If I had not been cautious and listening for noises, I could have lost a wheel (brake caliper might have kept it on). This is literally the only part on RA requiring this. Not the end of the world but hopefully it can avoid someone else making the same mistake.

3. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Where did you come up with the 100 foot lbs on the wheel bearings, just curious, never seen that

4. deltsigjames

deltsigjames New Member

It states 100 ft-lbs in the document that comes with the Timken bearing. I also verified the procedure on Timken website. I assume it is a clamping load required to hold the housing together. It did not take long to separate the bearing as I heard grinding as soon as I backed out of garage. After 1/8 mile I heard a metal part hit the road. Got home and there was 1/2 in of side to side movement in both wheel ends. I installed these bearings about 3k miles ago thinking that was where my noise was originating. I had no issues with these until I removed the CV shafts.