How to bleed fuel filter ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pawelekm

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to change fuel filter on my Cherokee (KJ) 2.8CRD.
How to bleed this fuel filter ?
I see there is a pump - big yellow screw. But there are two other screws.

Attachments

• IMG_20240319_094231.jpg
    IMG_20240319_094231.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 13
  • FB_IMG_1710830379871.jpg
    FB_IMG_1710830379871.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 13

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bleed screw is the brass one to the right of the pump plunger. The large plastic plug on the inlet is the service port for the non return valve.

pawelekm

Reaction score
Sorry, I wanted to ask one more question.
Should I unscrew the pump and breather and pump until fuel starts flowing out? Do I understand it correctly ?
I live in the countryside and it's hard to find a mechanic and I don't want to immobilize my car because I drive it to work. That's why I have to deal with it myself.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, go gently on the pump as fuel starts to appear and have plenty of rag or kitchen towel around the filter. I normally loosely refit the screw when fuel starts to come out and gently pump until no bubbles come out, nip the screw up and give it a couple more pumps to push the fuel up to the injection pump, don't go crazy or you will blow the bowl seal out, it's only a low pressure housing. The jeep may need to crank a bit longer than normal on the first start, don't worry it's only purging the remaining air.

Oh and don't do it on your drive without putting newspapers underneath if you are worried about oily stains!

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever pulled the fuel pump fuse and then started and run the CRD until she dies in order to empty the filter canister before removing it??

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no electrical lift pump, people fit them as an improvement as its asking a lot of the engine driven pump to pull fuel all the way up.

adxin

Reaction score
Hi @ all , I´m new to the KJ. Could you be so nice and answer me 2 questions?

1. the big plastic screw on the filter housing is the fuel priming pump?
2. Where I can get a improvement lift pump for the Liberty 2002 KJ 2.5CRD ENJ?

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning and welcome.

1 yes
2 the nice ready-made one is from a Dodge Ram, I'm looking at modifying the original pickup assembly with a VW lift pump, more available in Europe and cheaper. If you look on here and lost jeeps you will see lots of posts on lift pumps.