How to Bleed ABS Brakes without a Scan Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TinoR

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
according to the Service Manual, you must bleed the brake system the first time using conventional bleeding methods. Once the brake system is bled, you need a DRB Scan Tool to cycle the solenoids in the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit to get rid of any air entrapment and then, bleed the brake system the second time.
Is there an alternate method of cycling the solenoids negating the requirment of the scan tool?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have not opened the system there is no need for the ABS system bleed.If you replaced caliper,brake line,or master cylinder then yes you will need the DRBIII(or StarScan) to properly bleed the ABS system.Sorry there is no alternative way to bleed the ABS pump and reset the solenoids without the dealer only scanner.

TinoR

Reaction score
Good advice!
Since I'm not breaking into the system, do you think the system needs to be bled twice or is once enough?

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have not opened the system there is no need for the ABS system bleed.If you replaced caliper,brake line,or master cylinder then yes you will need the DRBIII(or StarScan) to properly bleed the ABS system.Sorry there is no alternative way to bleed the ABS pump and reset the solenoids without the dealer only scanner.

man that *****. dealer only huh?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can bleed ABS without dealer. do normal brake bleed and find large parking lot and get the ABS to kick on

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you don't let air into the system, you'd be OK, right? So, empty reservior until almost empty and then put in fresh fluid. Bleed normally. Should be OK, right?

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. This is new to me. (I'm not saying you're wrong, just that's it's the first time I've heard of this)

I've owned multiple cars with ABS systems, and always blead the brakes normally and never had a problem.

Is the Liberty special?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. This is new to me. (I'm not saying you're wrong, just that's it's the first time I've heard of this)

I've owned multiple cars with ABS systems, and always blead the brakes normally and never had a problem.

Is the Liberty special?
If you do not open the system you are fine in normal bleeding.Early GM ABS is one example that does require the TechI to reset/bleed the ABS pump and they are famous for failing often which just requires a simple reset/bleed using the TechI.Normal bleeding procedure will not get all the air out of the ABS pump if the system was opened.There is one other way but it's not a cheap option either,just got to play with one today and may pull the trigger and get one,it's a reverse bleed system that forces brake fluid from the caliper to the master cylinder which is the normal way the air wants to go anyway,but it still does not reset the ABS pump soliniods.

http://www.brakebleeder.com/product.php?pid=1

TinoR

Reaction score
I found an interesting article written by Larry Carley regarding the bleeding of brakes incorporating ABS. For those interested, go to this link: http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_bleeding.htm . In fact, his blog is an excellent site for technical information on car systems. Use this link to take you to the different categories in his blog: http://lcarley256.blogspot.com/2006/10/auto-repair-diagnosis-help.html.

Now with regards to why I'm bleeding the brake system, I'm simply replacing the brake fluid in the entire system as it is recommended to do so every two years. One of the negative properties of brake fluid is that it has a high moisture absorption rate. In fact, you should not be using left-over brake fluid that has been stored for quite some time once the container has been opened (seal removed) as it will absorb moisture even with the bottle cap on. The moisture absorbed by the brake fluid in the system will eventually cause corrosion in the brake system components which could end up being quite costly if the ABS components are affected. Another good write-up by Larry Carley: http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question. lets say i have to replace the caliper or brake line someday down the line. can i go ahead and do a normal bleed and then immediately go get the reset done at the dealer down the road (6 miles drive)?

in other words, when the time comes to break the system open, am i gonna have to let the dealer do the whole job on location, or not?

TinoR

Reaction score
That's exactly what I would do (maybe bleed the brakes twice). Test the brakes at low speeds (under 40 mph) before making the trip to the garage and make sure the emergency brakes are in good working order.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as you dont run out of fluid, you want to circulate the fluid through everything.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you only have to worry about bleeding the ABS pump if you get air in it, or are installing a new one?

For example, if you are bleeding the air out of a line after replacing a caliper and accidently run the master cylinder out of fluid, not only will you have to bench bleed the master cylinder, but you'll also have to bleed the ABS pump to get the air out of it.

If you're just replacing componets, such as a caliper, then you can simply bleed that line.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.