HOW TO: 'Band-aid' a shot Steering Rack Bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide insight on if this works and is sustainable for a while? If so, how long before replacement? Or has anyone found/made better bushings rather than these foam ones that act as close to what a new steering rack bushing would be?

No way I’d want to tackle replacing the whole unit myself from the how-to thread I read here and there’s sure as hell no way I’m paying someone $1k to change it for me.. haven’t inspected any other part except the drivers lower bushing and it’s torn to shreds

Jersey Jeep Guy

Reaction score
So Boys and Girls, this is an old thread but I must ask. Has ANYBODY found Urethane (or other alternate material other than rubber) bushings for our steering racks Yet?

Andries86

Reaction score
If I may chip in, I undertook the challenge this weekend to replace the bushings and it was way easier than I thought. I put the front on jack stands, removed the wheels, un bolted the steering ball joints from the wheel knuckle assembly. I then unbolted the two main bolts holding on to the steering rack. At that point it is rather flexible to move about but just not enough to squeeze out the driver side( left side) bushing. SO follow the steering column down there is a bolt that you can "unclamp" the steering column from the steering rack. At this point I laid under the front and ant tilted the bottom of the rack towards the rear of the car. you can then push out the two bushings and replace them. A bit of the hassle but for sure not a major operation.

Latest posts

Members online