How to almost get killed in a KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zadavidspencer

Reaction score
Can't believe it happened. Driving on a road a came up to a slow moving sand truck. It was going at 22 mph. I decided to put the jeep in 4x4 drive pass it on the dirt road next to the tar. So I got on to the dirt road and started to pass the truck. I put power down to pass and the jeep started so zig zag and I couldn't control her. Out of control I try to put down more power to straigten her up , but hit the truck i'm passing at 22mph prob at 25mph. The jeep lands on my side and then rolls on its front and lands on its wheels again. I remain in my seat and open the now bached in door.

I got out without a scratch but fractured my hand.
Why did the curtain airbags not deploy? Why did I lose control?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a passing lane? Was the side of the road angled, like toward a ditch? I can only assume that you did put it in 4x4 (not was thinking you wanted to) prior to punching it.

I'm glad that you are not injured more since it rolled and bounced around like that.

I'm curious to find out why the airbags didn't deploy as well, unless you didn't hit straight on...

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zadavidspencer said:
I put power down to pass and the jeep started so zig zag and I couldn't control her. Out of control I try to put down more power to straigten her up , but hit the truck i'm passing at 22mph prob at 25mph.
Thats probally why you lost control. Usually when a car starts to fishtail/slide/loose traction you let off the gas to help regain control. Giving it more tends to just make the wheels spin that much more.

To bad though, never good to be in a crash. Can't tell you why the airbags didn't go off, maybe the computer didn't think the wreck was severe enough for it.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirt road

You either caught the edge of the tarred road and that caused you to lose control. Anytime you change driving medium (i.e. tar to dirt) it will cause a change in speed. Since only a couple of your wheel were on the dirt at first, it would have pulled you towards the tarred road, and the edge again (because dirt slows you down).

A lift kit, or any extra weight on top could have thrown off your center of gravity.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Dirt road

VTNomad said:
You either caught the edge of the tarred road and that caused you to lose control. Anytime you change driving medium (i.e. tar to dirt) it will cause a change in speed. Since only a couple of your wheel were on the dirt at first, it would have pulled you towards the tarred road, and the edge again (because dirt slows you down).

A lift kit, or any extra weight on top could have thrown off your center of gravity.

I concur, did one side of the wheels stay on the road while the other was on the dirt?

Your should have taken foot off the gas when fishtailing... Fishtailing is easy to do even on wet road cuz of the crappy GY tires... just ease off gas but don't jam on brakes either and steer out of it... Sorry bout ur KJ

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a 2005/'06? SelectTrac or CommandTrac? SelectTrac and full time 4 wheel likely would not have done it.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with rwd vehicles you want to ease up off the gas when fishtailing to regain control, maybe tapping the brakes a lil bit depending on the situation.

on fwd vehicles is when giving it gas will help regain control while in a fishtail. as for awd and 4x4 im not too sure.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Also what year is yours, '06 and up have the "stability" program. Just wondering, but very happy you were able to walk away. Hope the insurance company doesn,t **** you.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is any roof damage I wouldn't want to see the same jeep again, god forbid, if I were in same situation. Good luck and hopefully you never have to face it again.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Like everyone said, when fishtailing, its best to let off the gas. Giving it more will, well, cause you to wreck. Theres no way he had an 06, that would of not happened.

The airbags will not go off unless the computer thinks they need to. Did you get hurt? Thats why the airbags didnt come out, they didnt need to. Many times if the airbag comes out when it doesnt need to, it will hurt you more than it will help.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Like everyone said, when fishtailing, its best to let off the gas. Giving it more will, well, cause you to wreck. Theres no way he had an 06, that would of not happened.
Despite how much all those extra electronic gadgets ASSIST in controlling the vehicle, they do NOT guarantee that you will never slip and slide, rollover or have an accident.

Sorry to hear that happened to your KJ and I'm glad you're OK!

zadavidspencer

Reaction score
thanks for the support!
here is a few pics of the wreck. Some say it fish-tailed because of the limited slip diff at the rear. I'm just glad I got out of the jeep in one pice :). It was a stock 05 rene 3.7l

You must be registered for see images

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh where do you reside? If I missed it I am sorry. Your KJ doesn't have features of those here (you have the 2 lamp lightbar and the turn signal side markers). Can I have your turn signal markers by any chancE?? hehe.

(whistle)

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'm thinking that maybe it didn't engage in 4x4 all the way before you punched it and you were still in 2wd, when you thought you were in 4x4.

It takes a couple of seconds for everything to line up and the 4x4 to engage completely after you give a good tug on the t-case lever. If you put it in 4x4, let off the gas and tap back on it a couple of times, just enough to go from idle speed to slightly revving the engine, this helps get it into 4x4 quicker and easier.

Atleast the Jeep did it's job and kept you unharmed....based on the pics i've seen from KJ's in rollovers, they appear to hold up very well.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Ahh where do you reside? If I missed it I am sorry. Your KJ doesn't have features of those here (you have the 2 lamp lightbar and the turn signal side markers). Can I have your turn signal markers by any chancE?? hehe.

(whistle)

I want to go out on a limb and guess that he's from South Africa?

It's amazing how the new Jeep badge stood up to the abuse of the rollover.

zadavidspencer

Reaction score
Yeh, South Africa is to be correct. The ppl from the towing company say its a write off but the insurance accessor is getting back to me tomorrow.

The only real injury I got was my left hand got fractured in 4 places. After the surgery I got a hand of steel and I'm learning to type one handed for now. Its amazing how much force the steering wheel excerts when corrected by outside factors. The Jeep otherwise was great in protecting me in the thumble. I was glued to my seat the whole time during the roll. It just strange why the curtain airbags didn't deploy. If somebody sat next to me their head would have met the ground.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zadavidspencer said:
Yeh, South Africa is to be correct. The ppl from the towing company say its a write off but the insurance accessor is getting back to me tomorrow.

The only real injury I got was my left hand got fractured in 4 places. After the surgery I got a hand of steel and I'm learning to type one handed for now. Its amazing how much force the steering wheel excerts when corrected by outside factors. The Jeep otherwise was great in protecting me in the thumble. I was glued to my seat the whole time during the roll. It just strange why the curtain airbags didn't deploy. If somebody sat next to me their head would have met the ground.

Hmm, are you talking about the passenger seat? It has a sensor in it, it will not deploy unless someone of the proper weight is sitting in it. Not sure about the back seats though? Idk if the curtain airbags come out in two different places for the front and back seats or not? My jeep doesnt have curtain airbags, so idk much about them... The sensor in the seat may only effect the front airbag and not the curtain, idk? (Aeh)