how much weight will the roof hold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to paint the middle of the roof and the backs of the roof bars. unfortunately i aint plastic man. how much weight will the roof hold?

zone zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing my rack

I'm finishing up a 6 foot by 48 inch rack wit 5 inch risers and an expanded steal floor with bars, I test fitted it for a week with 5 gas cans, 4 lights up front 2 in the rear. It will get limb risers too.
I had myself and a friend on it around 320 lbs. Pluss the cans with no problem

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Standing On ROOF?

You can not stand directly on the sheet metal on the roof.
Can you say big dent?:think:
The stock roof rails were made to handle about 150lbs spread out across them.
If you need to paint the middle of the roof, get a step ladder and be prepared to do it while leaning in, not standing on top.:shakehead:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can not stand directly on the sheet metal on the roof.
Can you say big dent?:think:
The stock roof rails were made to handle about 150lbs spread out across them.
If you need to paint the middle of the roof, get a step ladder and be prepared to do it while leaning in, not standing on top.:shakehead:

Yeah, I am with TC on this. I thought I read that the roof rails were designed to hold up to 150lbs.

Dave

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the Renegade with the roof basket, the wieght rating of the roof basket is 65 pounds. Since when you use the basket your cargo is actually on the roof of the truck I would say 65 pounds.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunroof might change the weight limit of the roof itself, but not the rails, since rails rely on pillars not the roof itself.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have sat in my cargo basket (about 185lbs) and on seperate occasions had several 3" to 5" diameter logs that were about as long as the KJ (read: trees) lashed to the basket as well, no problems either time. That being said, don't stand on your roof but I think leaning on or even sitting on the side of the roof would be fine (Jeepman56 not accountable for any resulting damage :smokin:).

Latest posts

Members online