How many?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

I/ Jen would like to know just how many spacer lift "Kits" (ie Daystar) exists for the Jeep KJ Liberty?
If anybody could take the time out of their schedule to list names, web addresses and possibly retail prices?
That would be most appreciated.
Also which is the best bang for the buck.

Some history here...

Jennifer would like to "have" a lift kit for our KJ so she can get some more aggressive tread (possible larger size) tires. -2.5 inch.
That way we can still plan on doing some limited "Off road" fire and forestry road trails, fishing holes and... Body disposal :D Got too look out for my daughters after all!!!
(Long story short.
Due to several major medical set backs. It doesn't look like I'll be doing much driving any more any time soon in the new future. so we'll just start calling it ""Her" Liberty from now on.)
I/we don't see the need for a complete new coil spring set-up. (would of been nice 10-15+ years ago!) as my anatomy no longer can partake in that type of physical abuse anymore.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ryan

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head:

Daystar - they have more than one
Rusty's OTT
Rocky's Combo
Rocky's OTT
Teraflex
Rough Country (front spacer/rear springs)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head:

Daystar - they have more than one
Rusty's OTT
Rocky's Combo
Rocky's OTT
Teraflex
Rough Country (front spacer/rear springs)

and out of those I would stay away from Rustys OTT, Rockys OTT, Rough Country, all will not do anything good to your suspension unless you do other things to it, so just go with Daystar the best there is for that type of lift. Of course would never buy anything from Rockys, customer service is none excistant

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Additional question

So, here's a question.
If after we install a Daystar 2.5" lift and then later we decide to upgrade to a full meal deal coil lift. Can the two lift kits be combined?
Giving us 5 inches of lift?
From what Ry' said "I don't know if you could combine the two, I don't see why it wouldn't work!"
But if it does work it will need modified CV joints and upper arms.
You guys can reply to me or too Ryan (socks)

See ya
Jen

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO dont do it its not safe if your wanting more lift Al has his 6" lift out, i dont know if you seen swampthing but thats what he did and its working for him but he doesnt do any hard offroading if you have check out cardomain and search for his name

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u just cant lift the KJs that much w/e cutting down the cv axles 3/8" and by going w/ jba's 6" lift it comes w/ everything youll need

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u just cant lift the KJs that much w/e cutting down the cv axles 3/8" and by going w/ jba's 6" lift it comes w/ everything youll need
It doesn't come with everything,you still need the cut CV's($1000 extra if you get the JE Reel HD ones),gears/lockers to take advantage of that lift=$2000,and finally you'll need tires and that's another $1000 or so for 5.Then you still can't run over a 32" tire safetly.I know JBA says he has been running 33" tires for years,he has(the real Al) but he also welded reinforcements to the front D30A,no collor but welded aluminum to the week areas of the diff.Also since 4.10's is the lowest gears you can go,anything over a 32" tire you'll be sucking major wind and gas.I have 4.10's and 32" tires and really need 4.56's to be anywhere close to the factory power band,I'm sucking wind at 6000' elevation and mountain driving to 10,000'+ with 4.10's.

Oh and that knuckle extension looks:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't see a point in lifting a Liberty more than it needs to fit 32's. It's just too risky with the D30. Save that 5K+ for a SFA.

Lifting has nothing to do with breaking our D-30A. Breakage happens when the front tires are spinning and suddenly grab traction, the sudden torque is what cracks the housing. The housings are weak in the area that contain the front pinion gear and bearings period. Quite a few Stockers with 29" tires have blown their front housings. So, whether you're running stock 29's, or 32's you are at risk of blowing the front housing under the right circumstances.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the Daystar 1.5" front/2" rear lift then add OME coils you would then have the frankenlift. You would need the Daystar upper strut plate. You then have the choice to remove the rear 2" spacer and go for a OME.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the Daystar 1.5" front/2" rear lift then add OME coils you would then have the frankenlift. You would need the Daystar upper strut plate. You then have the choice to remove the rear 2" spacer and go for a OME.

that would give you more than the frankenlift

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone thinks they can mix all thses together to come up with bigger lifts and it just doesnt work, also comments about swampthing and no problems????need to look at the last time he was out and what happened, rear springs popped out, tore out the rear driveshaft etc. so been some problems.

not knocking what he has done, he tried something out of the norm and it works ...to a point.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Socks or Jen, when you are done with the daystar just sell it. We have ( the 'kj-oteros club Barcelona') a member who combined the 2,5" daystar with OME springs and I say he's nuts. He thinks he's cool but the angle the tie rod makes and his cvj's worry me. Furthermore he didn't get the rear axle ball joint extension as Troy did. I would advise against it.

Anything above 2,5" on a KJ needs big modifications.

And I am with Troy, although Al is the king on KJ stuff that knuckle connector looks scary. Ryan you are a mechanic like me and Troy, I'm sure you agree. Without dropping the LCA's like on the 7 up lift ( which also sucked big time ) there's no way you can lift the IFS more then 4".

Good day,

Yeah, it's called basic geometry!
Some things work and some don't.
You should try explaining the suspension geometry of a classic Mini. The front end 3:1 lift/lowering ratio and the rear 5:1 ratio as an example.
(Incidentally? My has up to NINE inches of lift available for off road rally stages! :D and on the flip side, I can lower it so much, that it has literally no ground clearance!)

And what Troy explained about that 7 up lift kit that flopped.
Scary thing with that, is that they actually tried to sell that kit! And then to hear that their Liberty 3.5 X Factor system is also a POS!

Makes me wonder if a company like Rock Krawler throws together some lift kits for the KJ for the sake of boasting that they too offer Liberty lift kits; all be it lacking in the engineering department!
And not just them, but others in the lift kit trade as well. Pretty much like any other product of any type on the market.

Anyway, like Jen and I said... It was asked more or less out of curiosity then anything else