How do the models line up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It really depends on how they're all optioned out. I've seen some REALLY optioned-out Renegades and Sports, and the Renegade is supposed to be the "middle" ground!

Heck, I even had a Sport with power seats... at work. That's the only one I've ever seen in my life.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Line up

Esentially there are only 3 models: the Sport, the Renegade, and the Limited. There are also several trim packages: Columbia Edition, Freedom Edition, Rocky Mountain Edition, 65th Anniversary Edition (I think), and the Latitude Edition. And overseas they have the Extreme Sport. For insurance purposes, all the trim packages are considered Sports (but you will never hear me refer to my RME as such). All models/trim packages have their own unique badges.

Sports have always had the plastic fenders, trim, and bumpers. Earlier Renegades (02-04) have faux riveted fenders, silver fascia (on the front bumper), Off-road group, fog lights, lightbar, heavier duty alternator (160 amp vs. 136) and optional plastic basket. 05+ Rennies have brushed roof rails and the lightbar is now optional. I also think they switch from painted trim to plastic. I would guess with the lightbar being optional that they no longer come with the beefier alternators. Some Renegades came with body matched painted wheels, while some came with graphite wheels. I've seen both 5-spoke and 6-spoke wheels on Renegades. Overseas models with the lightbar had one light on each side, and no lights in the middle. I think the 02-04 model Renegades have different hoods than other models of the same years.

Earlier Limited's came with body matched painted trim while the newer ones come with chrome moldings and roof rails. The interior is trimmed with silver door handles, radio bezel, the piece around the shifter, and entry lights.

Freedom Editions came with 17" painted gun-metal wheels (instead of 16"), and gun metal trim. On the inside the seats (and maybe steering wheel) are trimmed with white vinyl.

Columbia Editions and Rocky Mountain Editions are identical except the CE's have 'Columbia' embroidered on the front seats, while the RME's have 'Jeep ' embroidered on the seats. Both have a charcoal vinyl trim. CE's also came with a Columbia jacket (if your dealer didn't screw you). On the inside of CE's and RME's, the gauges have a chrome trim, silver radio bezel and sunroof were also included in the package. On the outside, CE's and RME's have a graphite trim (Almost indistinguisable from the Freedom Edition's Gunmetal trim, but different nonetheless). Bumpers, moldings, and wheels. The fenders are painted to match the body color. I've seen both 5-spoke and 6-spoke wheels on RME's and CE's.

65th Anniversary Edition not too familiar with these, I know they had unique seats, not sure what else.

The Latitude looks like the Limited, but has a 'bright silver' grille, which is apparently different than chrome...and 'Jeep' embroidered on the seats.

Overseas models are a little different, most notably the rear end. The rear bumpers are different, they don't have a place for the license plate and several reflectors. The license plate is instead located on the spare tire. There is also no 'Trail Rated' badge, or antenna. In their places are signal lights/driving lights. The antenna is located in the windshield. Their mirrors also fold away electronically.

Well that's everything I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure I missed several things, mostly interior stuff and newer trim package stuff.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What a wonderfully in-depth post. :)

Few nitpicks:

For '05 and '06 Renegades...... the lightbar is still STANDARD... but there is a Lightbar-DELETE option. Basically the same thing you're saying, but backwards.

... and they still come with the beefier alternator.

'02 - '04 Renegades come with the same hood as Limited and Sport models of the same years.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Addition

Thought of something else...Sports, RME's and CE's have highbacked front seats, while Limited's and Renegade's have adjustable headrests. Pay attention when ordering seat covers.