how do kj's compare to other jeeps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFDRUMMER

Reaction score
I was just wonderin' about that. I was kind of skeptical for a while about kj's cause at first they seemed to stray away from jeeps, so I thought, but according to my wife they kick @$$ off road. :-k

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See the link below. You wouldn't see most SUV's taken here. There are plenty of guys off-roading just fine with KJ's. Most other SUV's are sedans that sit up higher and have four-wheel drive.

What I find impressive with the KJ is that it offers a nice ride on paved roads, has more room then a Wrangler, has a fantastic four-wheel drive system, and handles off road conditions just fine.

http://p087.ezboard.com/fkjjeepfrm58.showMessage?topicID=4.topic

AFDRUMMER

Reaction score
They are a really comfy ride on the road and youre right they do have much more room then wrangler's . I haven't been off road in one yet, but my wife has and says it works awesome. Unfortunately ours is only two wheel drive, but that's even better that it does so well.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The independant front suspension does hamper it's front end articulation. But KJ's are still very capable offroad. I replaced a Landrover Defender with my KJ and I reckon that the KJ is not far off as good as the Landie.

When I offroad my Jeep it is usually in mud and up and down steep slippery hill, so I don't know how good a rock crawler the KJ is first hand but I hear it is good.

The IFS does make onroad manners very good and I personally pefer to the compromise!

I reckon your wife is right, it still kicks *%&$ offroad!

Ian

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
right out of the factory..the KJ will pretty much go anywhere any other jeep will go. (Rubicon's excluded..but those are special). what hampers the KJ's are it's aftermarket offerings (and the WK's too) but it's slowly getting there. With straight axle swaps, and the addition of the 7 up lift kit, it will be able to follow even some of the more modded jeeps out there...

u can have a heavily modified KJ, but it's still all up to the hands of the person behind the wheel. A highly experienced wheeler with maybe a 2 inch lift, lockers, and armour will be able to take her just about anywhere. it's the best in its class, hands down....and it has proven itself to be a true jeep. (just read up on what the LOST west guys do with her...friggin amazing)

jsstover

Reaction score
I have not had my Liberty off-road but in the inclement weather that we occasionally get here in Ohio, it hasn't missed a beat. Each time I think that this is the time I will finally get her stuck, she just continually surprises me and walks right through it.

AFDRUMMER

Reaction score
My wife and I have some pretty good ideas for what we want to do with the kj. I've never seen any lifted or anything and thought it was going to be pretty unique until she found this website. At least now we know it can be done. It's gonna be awesome, we can't wait hump.gif

AFDRUMMER

Reaction score
I sure hope they do well in bad weather, cause I know my last vehicle didn't. If any of you have seen the pictures of the mitsubishi that wrecked in the snow, that was this genius.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFDRUMMER said:
I sure hope they do well in bad weather, cause I know my last vehicle didn't. If any of you have seen the pictures of the mitsubishi that wrecked in the snow, that was this genius.

It happens, lol. I use to drive an RX-7 over Colorado's I-70 in the winter. Amazing that I always made it home! chairshot.gif Dumb luck I guess...

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine because of it styling, utility, pricing and comfort. The grand is too much $ and the Wranglers are too loud. But that's me.