Horrible brake dust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a suggestion for wheel -brake dust covers for the Liberty ? I have never seen such a bad brake dust problem as on this liberty. Does autozone carry them ? My wheels look like crap after a wash only 4 days later .....thanks John

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Anybody got a suggestion for wheel -brake dust covers for the Liberty ? I have never seen such a bad brake dust problem as on this liberty. Does autozone carry them ? My wheels look like crap after a wash only 4 days later .....thanks John

Those "Brake dust Shields" that fit between the wheel and rotor just end up keeping the all brake heat from venting and end up warping the rotors.

"Hot brakes fail!"

try better brake pads. I have found the cheaper the pads the more of a mess they have made on my rims on all my vehicles

I agree!

Right now I have Mopar brake pads and they make a total mess of the front wheels.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock brake pads make little to no dust on my kj. I would say someone has replaced the stock pads on your Jeep with some cheap pads.

Try some napa Ceramic pads and dont get the cheapies.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock pads were the best, the ones that came with the KJ from factory, anything else that I replaced after that either made noise or were dusty, since you can't really have all in one pad, quiet, clean, stops well, doesn't wear much.. no such a thing. Since my rims are the ones with plastic covers, they don't really hold dust that much.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have OEM pads and disc and I very very little to no break dust. i used to put cheap pads on my old car and all i ever had was dust on the rims and my breaks over heating quick. Always ask for oem or higher quality for pads and discs. Sure you may pay more but it long run you'll have better braking/life of them and cleaner rims :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have OEM pads and disc and I very very little to no break dust. i used to put cheap pads on my old car and all i ever had was dust on the rims and my breaks over heating quick. Always ask for oem or higher quality for pads and discs. Sure you may pay more but it long run you'll have better braking/life of them and cleaner rims :)

My exact experience also.

Dave

Retrorod

Reaction score
The dust on mine is red, however! Problem NOT solved.
Sorry that I replied to an old 'searched' topic. I bought our 2007 a year ago. The front wheels only have terrible red brake dust coverage in a short time. Is the issue the type of pads used? That is what I gather from this post.
I probably won,t go out of my way and money to replace until needed, but do want to get quite and dustless pads when that time comes>>>>

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM is ceramic, which are lower dusting than organic, semi-metallic or metallic pads.

I got Power Stop Evolution ceramic pads at my local parts house. They work very well and are low dusting.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dust on mine is red, however! Problem NOT solved.
Sorry that I replied to an old 'searched' topic. I bought our 2007 a year ago. The front wheels only have terrible red brake dust coverage in a short time. Is the issue the type of pads used? That is what I gather from this post.
I probably won,t go out of my way and money to replace until needed, but do want to get quite and dustless pads when that time comes>>>>

The NAPA pads suggested in the earlier replies work well - or go with NAPA's Adaptive One pads and rotors. A good combination of heat dissipation, little dust and good stopping power. I also like the Power Stop Evolutions that Leann suggested.

Bob