Horn Upgrade-My Next Mod !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's so wicked (kneel)

There's a bunch of reasons for a really loud horn and yes the major one is to get the attention of those drivers who are putting on makeup, on their cell phones talking or texting, playing with the GPS, got the stereo maxed out or my favorite, to scare the wildlife off of the road. PS: don't startle a skunk with a loud horn, bad results pukey.gif

I seldom use my horn but when I really do need it I want it to be heard.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to have a short recording follow up my horn blast.

HOOOOOOOOOOOONK - You ******
HOOOOOOOOOOOONK - What the hell.
HOOOOOOOOOOOONK - Speed up or move aside a-hole.

Yesterday we are stuck at the intersection with a car trying to park, about 4 cars up. The A-Hole behind me honked, and honked and honked. So I pulled slightly to the right to make sure he can see me, and rolled down my windows stuck my head out and said "where the hell are you gonna go? Huh?".. So another cool upgrade would actually be a loud horn in the back, facing rear!. Honked me? HONK YOU! :D

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I would like to have a short recording follow up my horn blast.

HOOOOOOOOOOOONK - You ******
HOOOOOOOOOOOONK - What the hell.
HOOOOOOOOOOOONK - Speed up or move aside a-hole.

Yesterday we are stuck at the intersection with a car trying to park, about 4 cars up. The A-Hole behind me honked, and honked and honked. So I pulled slightly to the right to make sure he can see me, and rolled down my windows stuck my head out and said "where the hell are you gonna go? Huh?".. So another cool upgrade would actually be a loud horn in the back, facing rear!. Honked me? HONK YOU! :D

The same thing happened to us tonight at IKEA...
Then the bag behind the wheel gives me grief because
I take a "Family only" parking space.

My reply was simple.

"There are no more disabled parking spots available!"

Bag was not impressed.

As someone else has mentioned Harbor Freight for a pretty
good selection of after market horns.
The "Wolo" brand they sell are quite loud.
You could always mail order one of them Hyed!

Harbor Freights horn selection.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=horns
Wolo MFG. Corp. website
http://www.wolo-mfg.com/

Or got to a wrecking yard for commercial trucks and such
and pull one from a 5 ton truck.

Cheers
Ry'

Last edited:

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a grover dual tone in mine. way louder than stock and will scare the hell out of anyone. i got it off a dumptruck in a junk yard for 15 dollars. after air compressor, air tank, hoses, mounting metals, 85/105 air switch, solenoid, wiring, relays and fuses, i probably spent around $400. a decent air compressor is what costs you (assuming you install it yourself) i did it the first time using cheap stuff and it lasted for a week, pep boys air compressors suck, i went through 2 before buying a good one (which has lasted over 2 years so far) the horn and compressor are mounted where the factory airbox was. the 2 gallon air tank is on the pass. side behind the radiator. i have it wired wired through the fuse panel to the radio fuse so that i can use the key to controll it (love the loud chirp get now when i lock the jeep) also keeps the compressor from running when you forget to hit the kill switch after leaving your kj (always install a kill switch anyway) Needless to say neighbors arent happy when some kid sets the alarm off. have pics if interested.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a grover dual tone in mine. way louder than stock and will scare the hell out of anyone. i got it off a dumptruck in a junk yard for 15 dollars. after air compressor, air tank, hoses, mounting metals, 85/105 air switch, solenoid, wiring, relays and fuses, i probably spent around $400. a decent air compressor is what costs you (assuming you install it yourself) i did it the first time using cheap stuff and it lasted for a week, pep boys air compressors suck, i went through 2 before buying a good one (which has lasted over 2 years so far) the horn and compressor are mounted where the factory airbox was. the 2 gallon air tank is on the pass. side behind the radiator. i have it wired wired through the fuse panel to the radio fuse so that i can use the key to controll it (love the loud chirp get now when i lock the jeep) also keeps the compressor from running when you forget to hit the kill switch after leaving your kj (always install a kill switch anyway) Needless to say neighbors arent happy when some kid sets the alarm off. have pics if interested.

Pics would be cool. And a sound byte of kids running away from your KJ would be awsome.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm my pics are missing ill take some more later.

here are some pics of the first setup. you can see the cheaps parts i used and the ugly red everywhere. the current set up is way better. im almost too embarrased to show these.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score

here are some pics of the first setup. you can see the cheaps parts i used and the ugly red everywhere. the current set up is way better. im almost too embarrased to show these.

Nice work,did you put a chuck to air tires also?

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score

here are some pics of the first setup. you can see the cheaps parts i used and the ugly red everywhere. the current set up is way better. im almost too embarrased to show these."

Sweet! Got a vid of it in action?

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can't believe you posted pics of that awesome mod, how dare you!!!:D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If that is your first set up, I sure look forward to the upgraded version photos!
With the larger compressor (I am guessing) on the second version, could you air up tires?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
With no airbox, I can't believe there is so much space. Nice mod.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here is the current set up.

i dont have it set for airing tires due to laziness and a fear of having to chase air leaks again. this air compressor is way smaller than the original one but much faster, its all around specs are far superior than that red pep boys junk. that compressor cost me $265.00. its about the size of a 20 oz soda.

the switch to the right is for these lights

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice set up ! How many seconds on horn blowing before compessor kicks in?
Extremely compact and compact tank.
Could you post links to parts used please !

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive never timed it but it'll go for about 20 sec solid before its out of air and running straight off the compressor. once that happens its not as lound or powerful but you still hear it. ive timed it at 1:12sec from a completely empty tank to 105 psi. as a saftey measure i have a 115psi blow off valve on the tank.

no vids yet ill work on that later, ill aleso see if i can find a list of parts i used

Last edited:

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the air comp. was from viair.com i think you'll have to find a dealer.

the horn was given to me free from a friend who got it from a junkyard in ohio, he paid $15. had they know the value of it they could've gotten $70-$80.

the air tank i bought new online some where. i recomend not buying used air tanks simply because you never know what they've been through, and could be damaged or rusted internally enough to result in exploding steel.

the 85/105 pressure switch and air solenoid were bought used from ebay.

relays, connectors, wiring and all other electrical stuff was bought from autozone/pepboys.

hoses, clamps, brass fittings, nuts and bolts and the steel i used to make the brackets came from lowes/home depot.

as far as any instructions go i didn't have any. the horn and compressor are actually mounted on one bracket. the horn is on its side next to the compressor, which is bolted/bended to the bracket i made for the compressor. i did that to stiffen the compressor mount which vibrtes strongly when its running and because i didnt want to drill anything to my jeep (no part of this required any drilling to the vehicle) the tank is mounted vertically for 2 reasons. the first, well, it fits... the second is for drainage. when you compress air you condense the water that is in it. so the water falls to the bottom of the tank and gets blown out as vapor through the horn.
i have all of the brass fittings on top of the tank for easy access. i recomend using a blow off valve for safety. my compressor maxes out at 150psi and the tank is around there too. the bov activates at 115psi, so if for some reason my compressor keeps running the tank won't grenade.

if you need more info just let me know.

Latest posts

Members online