Hopkins trailer kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, a few weeks ago i posted a question about trailer wiring. I went with a plug in kit from hopkins from Etrailer. Does anyone know or have used this one, it states to open the pax side panel in the cargo area about 12" forward to get to the wiring connection to plug into. I remember some people mentioning about pulling the taillight assembly instead to get to the plug. The instructions seem old because they also want a 12v wire run to the battery which no longer is used. Anyway, just got in from work and UPS has it here, before i rip into it this weekend, just thought i'd see if anyone knew where the plug might be on an 06 sport before i open up any panels needlessly.

thanks ken

RedKJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug is behind the rear pannel on the passengers side. Removing the Taillight won't get you to the connector they are referring to that is built into the factory wiring.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool....thanks

Any tricks to getting the panel off without breaking it???

ken

It feels like the panel will break as you're pulling it off the body walls - but it won't. Take the trim panel off the bottom threshold of the cargo area first then pull the side panel away from the body.

The instructions that you have for the Hopkins kit are old - you DO NOT need to run a 12V lead to the battery. I asked the same question on the etrailer.com site and a sales rep answered my question here. What you'll do is insert the Hopkins harness between the existing OEM harness and run the 4-pin end through the floor to the hitch. There is a round rubber grommet that you'll go through to get below the Jeep to the hitch. The Mopar trailer harness installation guide shows how to take off the side panel and disconnect the OEM harness - a good visual how you're Hoppy harness will be installed.

Not necessary to remove the taillight - just be sure to ground the Hopkins harness by attaching the Hopkins ground wire to the existing ground screw behind the taillight housing.

Should be good to go!

Bob

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with the hopkins 42475 kit. Took about 20 minutes to install, thanks for all the help.
Easy to do, just a little work to pull the side panel off. The hopkins and mopar directions show putting the seat down and taking the seat belt out to get the panel off, respectively. I just pulled the bottom and top cargo trim pieces off a bit and popped the back corner panel out enough to get at the plug. Friend held the piece out while i did the plug connections, didn't want to take the baby seat out so couldn't fold the seat. It is easily doable without removing the seatbelt and folding seats down. Then just snaked the wire out the back instead of thru the plug so to avoid a water leak and popped everything back in.
Pretty quick and easy

thanks again
Ken

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the same as the hoppy's wiring kit? Its the same as the mopar plug in one, I have a chance to buy a used one. I hope it works the same.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking into hitches and wiring right now too and was looking at this kit. Looks easy to install, even has a video.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that one, just I would rather get the mopar style one so there is just one wire, instead of a y style. I just bought mine for 30 bucks used so I got a good deal :D

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That kit shows for an 07, must be different then an 06, because I only had the one plug in connection, ground wire and 4 pin connector. Very easy to do, just a little work to get to the right plug, then 1 minute to unplug and plug in the trailer kit....done
Any questions I will answer if you want

Ken