Hood isolation question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey!

Washed the engine several days ago.
Washed the hood inside too.
The heat shield foam thing started to peal off.

Was wondering if there are people, who took the whole thing off.
I hate how it looks and would like to do that, but i don't know if it will affect anything. Like maybe the paint won't like extra heat...

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
Get rid of it. It won't hurt the underside or paint on the hood. Besides, if you ever get the itch and decide to install hood vents, it needs to go any way..

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if there are people, who took the whole thing off.
I hate how it looks and would like to do that, but i don't know if it will affect anything. Like maybe the paint won't like extra heat...
That's about it, and you might notice a bit more noise form the engine. I yanked mine last year and haven't noticed anything other than now I have more little openings to hang a work light when I'm under the hood (biggthumpup)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'm thinking the usual
You must be registered for see images

Those are nice, but expensive!
I am buying two pair of trick looking stainless steel louvered vents from a marine store for alot less.
They sell them made out of ABS plastic, in black, white, stainless steel, black powder coated steel as well.

I think they look sharp!

Check out the prices and the different styles they have.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...eId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch

Cheers
Ry'

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! thanks for the info!

I like those, that don't stick out, like these ones:

You must be registered for see images

And considering salt-proof orientation for these products, they should last forever on a car!

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, weve got a boat with those vents on them. Constantly checking out stuff at westmarine. Funny seeing that website on here.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Those are nice, but expensive!
I am buying two pair of trick looking stainless steel louvered vents from a marine store for alot less.
They sell them made out of ABS plastic, in black, white, stainless steel, black powder coated steel as well.

I think they look sharp!

Check out the prices and the different styles they have.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...eId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch

Cheers
Ry'

Thanks for posting that link! .. Good selection

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
And don't forget the Pontiac GTP 5 louvers as well,( have them on mine) they look great and do a good job, also look factory

and another thing whatever you use it has to bend some to conform to the hood since there is a slight bend/ curve to it

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
And don't forget the Pontiac GTP 5 louvers as well,( have them on mine) they look great and do a good job, also look factory

and another thing whatever you use it has to bend some to conform to the hood since there is a slight bend/ curve to it

Those are the ones I really want Tom, I am a old Pontiac junkie at heart. I am having a hell of a time finding any, even on ebay lately.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Any photos of Pontiac ones?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pontiac GTP 5 louver
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

More if needed

Tom

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Those are the ones I really want Tom, I am a old Pontiac junkie at heart. I am having a hell of a time finding any, even on ebay lately.

So am I. Owned more Pontiac than anything else. Which is about 6 or 7....or more....:D

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, i like these! Although they kinda look fake at some angles.

I actually have a Firebird. No louvers on it though...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that you will see damage, but it'll be years down the road. If you plan on keeping the KJ for a long time, either leave it in, or if you do take it out, put louvres in.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

http://www.moradpartscompany.com/

You won't find a single spot with more used Grand Prix stuff. This is a guy who started buying wrecked prix's and parting them out back in 2003 or so, and when the GP scene got big, his business exploded. The website looks huge and professional, but at the end of the day, he's a small business shop.

Ed's a great guy, and he used to have awesome pricing. Hopefully he's kept at it.