Hmmm, Duratrac sidewall FAIL!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Epic fail - that's a fair size puncture there...

How has your experience been with the MT/R's on pavement/highway Ry? I've heard great for off-road/trail but stear clear (wear issues?) if primary use is on pavement.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
And there's no chance you're going to rip out a sidewall in your kevlar MTR's? I'm pretty sure it can happen to anyone... no tires are completely indestructible. ;)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main reason I'll stick with M/T R Kevlar sidewall belted tires and not Duratrac's!
You must be registered for see images attach

We've beat the snot out of two sets of M/T R Kevlar tires and this has never happened!
Not the 1st reported sidewall failure and why many have switched to the MT/R K's.Can you puncture a MT/R K? Yes but it's far harder then a Duratrac.

Duratrac "C" rated = 2 ply sidewall
MT/R K's "C" rated = 3 ply sidewall with one of those ply's being Kevlar

Sadly the Duratracs are getting the same rep as BFG's,weak sidewalls.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
That's the first one I've heard about. You have to take environment and other factors into consideration. Everything is subject to catastrophc failure... the kevlar and higher rated tires should technically do better, in theory.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rocks are tough. They have been here since the begining of time and will outlast all of us and can bust up any tire. Crap happens sometimes. That's why we have spares.

But that said, you were using your jeep as a jeep and having fun, right? Still, sorry you busted up a tire Ry.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta say from personal experiance.........

3 sets of old style MT/R's,not one failure,a few very shallow sidewall cuts at maybe 1/64" deep at max.All load range D or E and all with 3 ply sidewall.

1 set Interco Trxus MT's,not one total failure,had 2 with broken belts but if kept on the rear axle no problems.One huge and deep chunk taken oput of one sidewall and could see the cords but still held air.Load range D but only 2 ply sidewall.

1 set of MT/R K's,not one failure,not any trace of any sidewall cuts,do have a chunk of the tread torn out in one but my ARB bumper did that.Load range C with 3 ply sidewalls.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
If you see what I've done to the M/T R's on our KJ you would be surprised!
You should see all the cuts on the side walls from being aired down to 10-12 psi
and driving through twenty plus inches of loose razor sharp shale...
I'll stick with MT R's Kevlar tires thank you!

The Duratac's are getting a bad rap here as well as the side walls are not holding up
at all!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Uh oh... better get something different! ;)

The photo he posted was from user Cameraflauge on LOST... he was out in the SW Colorado mountains when that happened... using his KJ for what it should be used for.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen all the major brands fail due to roots
Ripping side walls
I ripped the lugs from a SS LTB but have seen the exact same
Tire get a hole through the side wall from roots
Now by far the "weakest" tires I have seen was a BFG MT
The old style ,got a thorn through the side wall

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now by far the "weakest" tires I have seen was a BFG MT
The old style ,got a thorn through the side wall
Something we can agree about.

I went through 4 AT's and 2 MT's(KM1's) all with sidewall puntures in less then 200 miles(all brand new tires).A set of Interco Boggers took care of that issue once and for all.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any tire can get a hole, over the years that I owned/managed tire shops I've seen wrenches/pliers and even chicken bones go through the tread and sidewalls.
yes some are stronger but hit something the right way and boom

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 98 ranger back in the day. Took it to get new firestone ATs and when I got home a spoon had gone through the side of the rear tire.

I was talked into getting the road hazard when i paid thank God!