hitch troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I just bought a new Reese hitch class 3, anyways me and a friend went to install it today and the bolts supplied (hex bolt M12x1.75x40) do not fit the factory nuts, what size do I need?

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to ask a stupid question, but are you sure the welded nuts in the frame are clean of rust, etc? I ask because when I installed a hitch on my 2003 Lib, I also couldn't get the 12MM bolts to thread up. After several (unnecessary) trips to buy 10MM bolts, it turns out the nuts were severely corroded. I bought cheap tap set at Harbor Freight that had the right tap, cleaned them out, and all is good (sort of, I have 5 of the 6 in, I cant get to the one closest to the tail pipe).

Hope this helps...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need 12mm bolts, which is what you have.

You need to clean out the nuts with some PB blaster and a wire brush/a tap.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I was about to return the hitch and tell them to shove it, glad I asked here first, ya there is some rust

thecivvie

Reaction score
Not to ask a stupid question, but are you sure the welded nuts in the frame are clean of rust, etc? I ask because when I installed a hitch on my 2003 Lib, I also couldn't get the 12MM bolts to thread up. After several (unnecessary) trips to buy 10MM bolts, it turns out the nuts were severely corroded. I bought cheap tap set at Harbor Freight that had the right tap, cleaned them out, and all is good (sort of, I have 5 of the 6 in, I cant get to the one closest to the tail pipe).

Hope this helps...

Had the sme problem here. Did you get to the one near the tail pipe. I sort of managed but half of my knuckles are on it

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When installing my Mopar hitch I had the very same issue. I purchased the hitch from a friend and the bolts were rusty. I couldn't thread them for the life of me!! I took some PB blaster and a wire brush (just like Jeepster) and worked on them for a little. It worked out fine after that.

Cool tap set at Harbor Freight ($14.99).

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the sme problem here. Did you get to the one near the tail pipe. I sort of managed but half of my knuckles are on it

Nope, still didn't get that one. That'll be a full day project, as the hitch is also welded slightly off and the hole doesn't quite line up, so I'm going to have to file it out just a bit.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what all of you guy's are having so much trouble with that one bolt that is partially blocked be the exhaust.When I originally installed my OEM hitch(my KJ still stock then) I had no problems at all,sure the rust/crud in the holes is a pain in the rear but getting that bolt in and torqued is to easy.Just thread the bolt in and use a ratcheting wrench to tighten it then torque with a torque wrench with a impact swivel on it,too easy.The right tools for the job make it so much easier.Plus if you don't use all 6 bolts the hitch is not rated as a class III(or classIV/V),it's barely rated at a class II,and if something happens while towing a trailer(ie-trailer comes undone,hitch falls off and trailer kills someone) and you don't have the hitch bolted correctly the insurence company is no longer responseable to cover any costs(check with your insurence co to be for sure on incorrectly installed items like hitches).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJKJ2002 is right about that bolt. Don't tow anything until you get it in.

Dave

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what all of you guy's are having so much trouble with that one bolt that is partially blocked be the exhaust.When I originally installed my OEM hitch(my KJ still stock then) I had no problems at all,sure the rust/crud in the holes is a pain in the rear but getting that bolt in and torqued is to easy.Just thread the bolt in and use a ratcheting wrench to tighten it then torque with a torque wrench with a impact swivel on it,too easy.The right tools for the job make it so much easier.Plus if you don't use all 6 bolts the hitch is not rated as a class III(or classIV/V),it's barely rated at a class II,and if something happens while towing a trailer(ie-trailer comes undone,hitch falls off and trailer kills someone) and you don't have the hitch bolted correctly the insurence company is no longer responseable to cover any costs(check with your insurence co to be for sure on incorrectly installed items like hitches).

You'll just have to trust me that mine is that mucked up. If it were as easy as "Just thread the bolt in and..." I certainly would have done that. Mine is rusted completely shut, and with the pipe there I don't have clearance to get the tap in. As soon as I can get a free weekend day (kinda tough right now with kids and the wife working weekends) I'll pull the hitch off and get it. I have all the right tools, it's just going to take some extra effort. Also, in my case I bought a Hidden Hitch, and the 6 bolt holes do not line up quite right, so that will be a challenge as well.

Good advice on not towing without all the bolts though. I actually bought mine for other uses (bike rack, cargo rack) etc, and will wait until I get the bolts right before I actually use it.

Now if any of you all are ever in the St. Louis area and want to give it a whack, I'll buy the beer....
(Cheers)

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the middle of July look for you? I'm planning a road trip to TN around then so I may just take you up on that beer.
You must be registered for see images
And if you still haven't gotten that bolt in by then, i'll give you hand, at least.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the middle of July look for you? I'm planning a road trip to TN around then so I may just take you up on that beer.
You must be registered for see images
And if you still haven't gotten that bolt in by then, i'll give you hand, at least.

At the rate I'm going, thats about when I'll get to it. But if I get it done beforehand, you're still more than welcome to stop by for a cold one on your way through.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on. Looks like I may be visiting a few people in your neck of the woods on my way through. Definitely want to get some 'wheeling in on the trip, too.

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something is defintly wrong with your threads. I just installed my reese hitch last weekend without a problem. I would defintly find a tap and clean the threads out. ohh and by the way to get at that bolt easier I dropped my exhuast so i could move it around to get to the bolt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online