hitch mounted cargo basket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nrifenbark

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a hitch mounted cargo basket for the Liberty? I have the factory 2 inch receiver.
I'd like a cargo basket that does not extend directly from the hitch as I think that might drag when driving over rough ground. I'd need a rise of 4 to 8 inches and a basket that will clear the rear mounted spare tire.
Looks like Rocky Road Outfiters has one (under misc accessories) for $250 but wonder if there is anything else available out there.

nrifenbark

Reaction score
Not with a hitch extender -- also available at Rocky Road (and other places). It's the rise that seems difficult to find. Want to get the cargo basket up in the air some so as to minimize the chance of it hitting the ground as I go over ruts and uneven terrain.
I'd like to pile wood outside the vehicle on a hitch rack. I don't want a roof rack. The cargo hitch type rack would be easy to put on when I need it and leave in the garage when I don't.

claudio

Reaction score
i have a custom made one, and i put little wheels on the back so when hits the terrain don't get trapped, be carefull, when you put things on the cargo basket your lights will be very high so in night you will receive a lot of salutations O:)

will be possible to add the lights leveling system to the standard system?

Claudio

tiger8199

Reaction score
Hitch Cargo Carrier

I too am looking for a hitch cargo carrier that will fit my 2005 Liberty since it has the spare tire. I have found one that has an adjustable arm but I still think I might need an extender. Has anyone else been able to find one that fits? Thanks

Ryan

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I did. Turns out the "tongue" is reversible and I did not need a hitch extension. This cost $70 at Target. I think the Haulmark sold at Wlmart is similar, but costs $50. It worked great hauling paving stone from home depot.

You must be registered for see images

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother did one from Draw-Tite on his Jeep and loaded up for a 2500 mile trip out to New Mexico and love it. He used a hitch extender, as best as I recall. These things are really handy.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father got one of those things for the TJ we had before this one and the socket on the new hitch was too small so he had to get an adapter. The adapter makes the rack stick out a good foot extra and with the hills around here I would scrape it a lot. I've seen some wrangler's run a ratchet strap from one front corner of the rack to behind the spare and then to the opposite front corner to keep it up a lil and I guess stabilize it. I wouldn't think the added weight on the spare would hurt anymore than a fully loaded bike rack. They’re very handy especially in a wrangler that has a shoebox of a trunk.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
melted said:
Here's what I did. Turns out the "tongue" is reversible and I did not need a hitch extension. This cost $70 at Target. I think the Haulmark sold at Wlmart is similar, but costs $50. It worked great hauling paving stone from home depot.

I was looking at that, do you have any pics of it on the jeep?

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hers's how the Coleman hitch mounted carrier looks from the back. It is 60 inches wide which is about the same as the Liberty.

The tongue can be mounted upside down, but I expect most people mount it this way to give maximum ground clearance. I have never had any trouble with it bottoming out.

By drilling a couple of extra holes, one could bring the carrier an inch or two closer to the spare tire, which would slightly improve the load capacity. Since the top rail interferes with the tire, the door can't be opened much anyway. Turning the tongue upside down might allow the door to open, but since I would probably trip over the carrier anyway, I am happy having the extra ground clearance. The Haulmark version doesn't have a top rail and would likely allow the door to open fully, but I feel more secure having the rail.

Overall, it looks pretty good, and is a lot easier to use than a roof top carrier.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
melted I really like that, and if I had the money right now I would own one. I would drill new holes and move it closer to the spare, I dont like the way it looks that far away, would make the jeep sag alot too.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The load capacity is 500 pounds when the tongue set with the carrier closest to the hitch. I loaded it up with about 550 pounds of patio stones and the Liberty didn't sag a bit. I didn't have far to go from the Home Depot, but the Liberty didn't seem to handle any differently than normal.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you change the odo reading in your sig everyday?

Is it in its closest position in those pics.

Im thinking about ordering this thing soon.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I just change the odo in my profile from time to time.

When I first assembled the carrier, I had the tongue turned over. In that configuration, the mounting holes line up differently, and it is a couple of inches closer to the hitch than what you see in the pictures. I wanted the greater ground clearance however, and that way the holes line up further from the hitch. One of these days, I will drill another set of holes, but so far I haven't had any trouble using it the way it is.

deviousz

Reaction score
I wonder if you could carry a couple bikes with this thing? That would save me from getting this basket and a bike rack.