High Beam Relay Apparently Missing but, High Beams are Working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-Mechanic

Reaction score
Got an '07 Jeep Liberty about three weeks ago. Still getting familiar with it.
While looking for a bad fuse for the front +12VDC outlet, I noticed there's a relay missing in the fuse panel on the side of the dash.
According to this diagram , the R1 relay operates the high beams. The high beams seem to work fine, and the indicator even comes on on the dash when I pull the control lever forward. However R1 is an empty socket.
Do I have a haunted car with a ghost relay?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct in that the High Beam Relay is definitely missing!

Some previous owner probably did some re-wiring of the circuitry for some unknown reason.

As long as it keeps on working then all is good...problem is if it fails sometime then it becomes difficult to unravel the modifications!:rolleyes:

I will pull out this Hi Beam Relay on my 2002 Export CRD and see what happens....it is easy to get to as apposed to the Low Beam Relay on the other side of this Fuse Panel!;)

OK if I pull the High Beam Relay out then High Beams do not work...as is expected;)

Last edited:

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an '07 Jeep Liberty about three weeks ago. Still getting familiar with it.
While looking for a bad fuse for the front +12VDC outlet, I noticed there's a relay missing in the fuse panel on the side of the dash.
According to this diagram , the R1 relay operates the high beams. The high beams seem to work fine, and the indicator even comes on on the dash when I pull the control lever forward. However R1 is an empty socket.
Do I have a haunted car with a ghost relay?
If your Jeep has daytime running lights, there should not be a relay in that position. There will be a relay with a heat sink located in the position beside the empty relay socket that enables daytime running lights. It is spelled out in the FSM.

Tech-Mechanic

Reaction score
If your Jeep has daytime running lights, there should not be a relay in that position. There will be a relay with a heat sink located in the position beside the empty relay socket that enables daytime running lights. It is spelled out in the FSM.
I see, yes my Liberty does have DRL... So, I assume the DRL relay doubles as the high beam relay?
I actually don't like the daytime running light feature... Do you happen to know if removing the DRL relay and installing the standard high beam relay will make my headlights work as normal? ('as normal' meaning, the headlights are only on when the headlight switch is activated)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Here is a pic on an 07 Sport box. There is not DRL, but the fog lights do come on with the low beams likely due to a bad switch. I have not modified any circuit and am fairly certain it’s as OE intended

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 5

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may work if you fit the smaller relay in its slot and remove the large relay with the heatsink. There are some small relays in the relay box under the hood which might fit...if they are the correct size borrow one and try it out.

But I doubt that it will work...there is probably different wiring!

There are no 2007 KJ Service Manuals available but the 2006 Manuals will be close although the wire colors may be different!

You can download the 2006 Jeep KJ manuals here...section 8W has the wiring diagrams.

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a pic on an 07 Sport box. There is not DRL, but the fog lights do come on with the low beams likely due to a bad switch. I have not modified any circuit and am fairly certain it’s as OE intended
Fog lights only work on low beams
not allowed on high beams

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Fog lights only work on low beams
not allowed on high beams
Yep. Mine come on with the low beams, turn off with the high but they only do that. Can’t run them independently, can’t have just low beams on alone.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. Mine come on with the low beams, turn off with the high but they only do that. Can’t run them independently, can’t have just low beams on alone.
They come on with the low beams, weird
Someone must have changed the wiring around

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
They come on with the low beams, weird
Someone must have changed the wiring around
Yeah, even weirder is they worked normally when I left for the desert back in July and at some point during the trip this started. Rang out the entire circuit -suspect bad switch on the column

Latest posts

Members online