Hi Beam relay question on 04 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious about this, I pulled my fuse panel off yesterday to replace the power point (lighter) fuse, and I noticed the hi beam relay plug has nothing in it. Since this is a Canadian unit I have the daytime running lights standard, should there or should there not be a relay in this plug?

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if u dont have the high beam relay and your high beams still work most likely the high beams are integrated into the drl relay or circuit.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes (at least I was able to change my 03). You need the DTRL relay (Rockauto carries them). Remove the High beam Relay from its spot and install the DTRL Relay in its (DTRL) spot. THEN you need to have a change made in the BCM. The country code needs to be changed from USA to Canada. Once this is done the high beams come on at reduced voltage (no parking lights) once the engine starts. You can turn the DTRL off by clicking the parking brake one or two (I forget) notches. Or when you turn on the headlights, all works normally. Most folk up here run lights all the time thus you normally burn out a low beam and have to change it out. This way you have lights in day time but the voltage is reduced and it is the high beam filament which is used. How many times have you ever had the high beam go out compared to losing low beams?