Hi all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hows it going folks. New to this forum just wanted to drop in an introduce myself. I just picked up an 03' renegade a couple days ago and am lovin it! (My first jeep) I traded a sled for for it so I got it for a hell of a deal. Just not sure what some of the first things I should do to it. (Besides full tune up/fluid changes) I live up here in alaska so im going to be taking it off road quite a bit, so im thinking about a small lift (stock sus is pretty hammered so its in need of new anyways) what you guys think?

Attachments

• 20130322_185419.jpg
    20130322_185419.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 29

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like your on the right track and if your going to wheel it one of the first things I would do is add recovery points. Welcome to the forum.
Oops on 2nd look it looks like it has front hooks my bad it's a Renegade. Sweet.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome AKjeep. Nice black Renne.

Dave

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the closed grill it's looking very nice.

Welcome to the forum!!

For the first thing to do, lift kit is great, ARB bumper or a bull bar would be nice, but ARB is way ahead of everything else in bumper. Don't forget the winch :p

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and say it....OME full suspension lift and jba upper a-arms. It will ride like a caddy compared to the way it is now.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(welcome)

Great to see a black Rennie against the white snow - perfect color! :smokin:

You're on the right track for maintenance. Some suggestions:

• Change front & rear diff fluids. 85W-140 in the rear, 80W-90 in the front
  • Change transfer case fluid. Use ATF+4 transmission fluid only
  • Remove the side steps. My Renegade had them too and all they did was reduce ground clearance and show off rust

A lift will be nice for the off-roading. Check the Lift Kit Discussion area for recommended lifts. Don't go cheap - it'll bite your backside in short order.

Tires - maybe some MT's since I'm sure you see all kinds of mud, sand, slop, quicksand, etc. up there in Alaska. To say nothing of the snow and ice.

An ARB bumper would be nice too especially to protect the front of the Jeep from the assorted wildlife you see up there. We have enough problems with deer and dumb drivers here in the Lower 48 - can't imagine the surprises you get while driving in the dark at 2 in the afternoon in December :happy107:

Great to have you here on the forum. Post often!

Bob

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We almost forgot something. If you lift you might also want to change the rear upper control arm with something more offroad grade. Jeep have been recalled for that but I did mine just to make sure it wont die when I need it.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty sweet for an '03 - I think you did pretty well on the trade.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
(welcome)

Look out for another KJ member that posts on this forum from Anchorage - al7fi.

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha thanks guys! It is a pretty good lookin rig :) and Ya it was definitely a good trade! So ive been reading nonstop about KJs for the last week. And my main plan is to do an ome lift and jba uca's with some new tires. But what do you guys think of the frankenlift vs. Just getting everything myself? Is it worth the hassle to get everything seperatly?

Also thinking about getting a muffler to give it a bit more tone. What have you guys come across that has givin that 3.7 the deepest tone possible? I dont want it to sound like a ricer. I have a 2005 subaru legacy gt as well so its ganna be hard to beat a boxer exhaust :)

Attachments

• 20130303_212007.jpg
    20130303_212007.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 10

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha thanks guys! It is a pretty good lookin rig :) and Ya it was definitely a good trade! So ive been reading nonstop about KJs for the last week. And my main plan is to do an ome lift and jba uca's with some new tires. But what do you guys think of the frankenlift vs. Just getting everything myself? Is it worth the hassle to get everything seperatly?

The main difference between the Frankie and the pieced-together kits is the fact the Frankie front shocks/springs are preassembled. A kit you put together yourself will require you (actually a local tire shop) to compress the front springs and assemble the shocks. Don't do that yourself - not worth it. There are some additional parts on the Frankenlift front assemblies but you can get there with a pieced-together kit with a top plate from JBA and lifting the clevis away from the base of the shock up to 3/8" - or put in three 2" conduit nuts for spacing consistency. Also consider the Ironman lift - a little less than the OME - or the TomMudd EconoLift from JBA. A little more money for the EconoLift but everything is included to give you a 4" lift (which you can get with the Frankenlift or OME kit too) including JBA front upper control arms.

Also thinking about getting a muffler to give it a bit more tone. What have you guys come across that has givin that 3.7 the deepest tone possible? I dont want it to sound like a ricer. I have a 2005 subaru legacy gt as well so its ganna be hard to beat a boxer exhaust :)

I'm still running stock - others will chime in for sure with their opinions and experiences. :waytogo:

Bob

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I went with the pieced-together kit on mine... roughly the same components (more or less), and assembled in our driveway. Wouldn't suggest compressing your own springs unless you have the correct knowledge/tools and potential assistance... but if you have those things, I'd say go for it. I saved a little bit of cash that way.

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the preassembeled front was the main difference I noticed with the frankenlift vs. Doing your own, plus being able to buy a little at a time. I was thinking about the westway lift until I can get a real one then ill already have the spacers and whatnot. Are most people runing a clevis lift and extra isos ontop of there sus lift?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the preassembeled front was the main difference I noticed with the frankenlift vs. Doing your own, plus being able to buy a little at a time. I was thinking about the westway lift until I can get a real one then ill already have the spacers and whatnot. Are most people runing a clevis lift and extra isos ontop of there sus lift?

Yep - except those with the CRD diesels. Can't go that high due to short CV on driver's side.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online